Used 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

For Mechanics Only
By Slim

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car requires constant maintenance. If you're not a mechanic, I'd get something else. The head gasket went at 85000 miles and cost just under a grand to fix. Tie rods, hazard switch, locks, etc, etc, etc. It can't go but three weeks before something else falls apart.

Makes mechanics wealthy

Too much to list!

Best Monte Carlo in Years
By Dave

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 MC SS used w/ a little over 60k miles on it. The only disappointments I have found would be the absence of the V8 and manual shifter. Car styling is excellent, much better than the mid-90's models. This car has impressive pwr coming from the V6 when needed. Steering is a bit stiff in tight corners, but really drives great at speeds exceeding 80mph. The only thing that I have noticed that is out of sort is a slight popping coming from the front wheels when pulling off of an incline. I have had this checked out and it seems to be just a qwirk with the traction control feature. Nothing worth breaking a sweat over.

Roomy and comfortable interior. Ride quality and handling. Exterior styling and lines. Black paint is a fan favorite.

Put more horses under the hood. Lack of manual shifter and sheer horsepower. Slight popping/gringing feel in the steering caused from traction control feature.

Love this car
By John Walters

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I thoroughly enjoy my MC SS. It's maroon red and drives like a dream. The gas mileage is right around 30 mpg. It's comfortable and stylish.

Electric sun roof. Heated seats. Power.

Poorly Built Car
By Jarod Hart

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I first bought the car I loved it. Drove/handled well, smooth ride, etc. Even liked the power (although I now feel like it is a little on the weak side). That has quickly gone downhill since. This past year alone I have invested $2500-$3000 in repairs. Since purchase with 29,000 miles I have had to rebuild the trans (at 54K), replace a high pressure line for the a/c, replace struts and bearing plates, replace temp. sending unit, resolder rear defrost, rebuild brakes all around (including calipers), replace tie rod ends, thermostat, theres a short in the headlights causing my daytime lihts not to function properly and my highbeam indicator to continuously flicker.

I like the usual, pw, pl, keyless entry. Moonroof is nice in the summer. Digital thermostat and compass is nice to have. Homelink system is a plus.

Better build quality. It is a joke that I have had to put as much money for repairs in the car as I have had, at the mileage it is at. My suggestion - do not buy.

Very Pleased
By Gwen

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 11-00, brand new. I have been so pleased with it that I am now trading it for a new 2006 model. I need the new warranty features, if something were to go wrong. I have never had any serious trouble with it at all.

The remote key, looks, low tire pressure monitor, heat & air still work after 5 years.

Power windows need improvement on reliability.