Used 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

had it for 3months wonderful car
By tweef

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

purchased my 2001 monte carlo ss 3 months ago from a orginal was scared at first car has 204k but after test driving fell in love with only thing i have done to it so far is brakes,oil,radiator flush other then that it been reliable only common problem with them is transmission thank the previous owner had it rebuilt few months before i bought gas is i drive 30miles a day gas is wonderful i put premium in it last me close to 8 days off da full tank this wont be that last monte carlo i own previous car i have owned were chevy astros95,98an
till 2003 was lemon sold it bought my mc

Can't believe there's not more recalls on this vehicle
By eyzofblue72

I bought my 2001 car brand new
in Nov 2000.
Within the 1st year the driver seat heater went out - so had that replaced.
Since then, I have had to have my catalytic converter replaced which now as I have been doing research found out it would have been covered under a Special Policy Adjustment - Catalytic Converter #05551 -(09/14/2005)
Models: 2001-02 CHEVROLET IMPALA, MONTE CARLO EQUIPPED WITH 3.4L (RPO LA1 - VIN E) OR 3.8L (RPO L36 - VIN K) V6 ENGINE.
Which surprisingly GM didn't bother to send.
Now 4 years later, my catalytic converter needs to be replaced again.
My security light has been on since 50k miles and I've had to replace my 4th gear shaft and the list goes on.

The only good thing I can say, is it does handle nicely and is reactive. Other than that, I'm done with GM.

GM sends out recalls for stupid things like needing to replace a plastic heat shield by the spark plug housing but yet major engine/operational failures which seem to be pretty consistent as I've done more research never happen.

Monte SS
By Mr E

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car and so far has been nothing but fun fun fun. The car had 68,000 miles even though the car is almost 10 years old, but when I say well kept! No problems so far except for the warning orange light for tire pressure that stays on which I'm used to now. I would love for Chevy to build more SS's such as the Monte Carlo and the Impala for 2011.

Heated Seats are wonderful, sunroof is off the chain, and I love the look and the attention that it gets being almost 10 years old.

The steering column slit noise and the large heavy doors. O! And if it were a little easier getting in and out of the back seat area.

It's just okay.
By KevinJ

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased the vehicle, I was relatively impressed. As much as i would love to say that I am still impressed to this day, I simply cannot. I have had to drop the car off to my local Chevy dealer multiple times for reasons like the car stalling randomly, running on 4cyl, broken rear defroster, a shot transmission, speakers not working, seat heater not working, sunroof broken, condensation in the tail lights, etc. To put it quite frankly, it has been a lemon. I do thoroughly enjoy driving it when it works (a rarity), but it needs more power for such a large displacing V6. I also enjoy the strength of the seat heaters(when they work.) I only have one more gripe. THE UGLIEST WHEELS EVER.

Moderate power, interesting looks. Decent handling.

More power, better electrical engineering, nicer rims right out of the factory. Better sound system, less plastic, louder exhaust. Power Power Power... It should live up to it's "SS" heritage. The only SS in this car is the owner, a "Super Spender."

Great Sports Car
By Austin

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 5 years old, it only had 25k on it. Have owned the car for 5 years and I have done the recommended service on it and it has lasted along time. The car now has 182k and still have original transmission and engine. The car still drives like new. Also this car has a lot of power compared to other sports cars and the trunk is huge.

Heated Seats, Front Power Seats, On star, sunroof, power windows and doors.

The only thing i wished they would of done to this car is add a half of a door so passengers can get into the back without pulling the seat forward and crawling in the back.