Used 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Never ever ever again
By gene

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car is the biggest piece of junk! Soon as I got it I noted that water was leaking in from the firewall thanks to the cabin air filter being under the window wipers stupid location, hard to fix, impossible to replace a blown speaker in the back, blows fuses for back up lights regularly, horrible suspension and creaks over every bump and feels floaty, had to replace the driver side wheel hub assembly at 62,000 miles cant be left for over two days with out it being dead dude to electronic draw, exhaust rattles thanks to design, traction to sensitive, and kicks in at weird times. A horrible gm design and poorly engineered! No gm crap for me any more, reconsider if you want one

Favorite Features

comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

scrap it start over and look at better quality put things where they belong.

Comfortable, fuel efficient and luxury
By clsharky

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Probably one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I bought this car with 154k kms 6 years ago and it currently has 326k kms with no engine issues at all. Aside from regular maintenance, the most expensive repair was the fuel pump replacement @ $600. However, installing it was a snap thanks to the access panel above the pump in the trunk. This car works excellent and has loads of power. The fuel economy is exceptional, thanks to its high aerodynamic rating. It barely revs above 2000 RPM at 110km/h hwy speeds, netting 36-37 MPG consistently. The styling is also very nice, and I am constantly getting positive remarks on its looks. The interior is also roomy and comfortable.

Favorite Features

- Lots of power with unmatched fuel economy, even most 4 cyls cannot achieve similar MPG. - Very comfortable ride on any road. The interior has lots of room, even the back seat will comfortably seat 3 kids or 2 adults. - The trunk in this car is HUGE! I am a carpenter by trade and I have a 12" subwoofer/box installed in the trunk and still have loads of room for my tools/equipment for work. - The 3.4L V6 engine is very peppy and very reliable, I've never had any issues at all with it. - Great styling, esp. the SS trim.

Suggested Improvements

- I have very few complaints with this car, but at heart, I am a Ford guy. Even still, compared to the Mustang which is its closest competition, I would take the Monte Carlo. - This is one of the infamous GM vehicles affected by the ignition switch recalls. However, the ignition security was repaired/bypassed in my car and I have never had issues with it. - Getting into and out of this car can sometimes be painful and hard on the back for tall people like myself, because it is so low to the ground.

Excellent fuel mileage
By Kenny in NM

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought in 2003 with 17,000 Miles. Replaced CV joints at 70K. New Plugs wires at 100K. Just drove from NM to AL and back for vacation and got 32 MPG on first tank of fuel (Night-time Driving With a/c off). Averaged 25.7 MPG for the total 3068 miles driven.

Favorite Features

Driving and comfort. Excellent sound system but stereo AMP tends to burn out. Replaced at 110K. Friend had same problem.

Suggested Improvements

Recall and replace AMP. it's the only repeated gripe for MC owners.

2001 Monte Carlo LS 3.4 Sport Appearanc
By John

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new. Love the looks(sport appearance package)and performance. Plenty of power. Minor problems only. I regularly maintain and keep it clean. 31 MPG during first year road trip but has diminished since to 28. Stills shines and no rust.

Favorite Features

Looks and performance. Comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Problem with coolant clogging sensors and light staying on. Flushed and refilled with old type coolant and is fine. Improve steering handling.

Great GAs Mileage, poor quality
By Tony Z

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Car would be great if it was not for the poor quality on certain things. AC is out at 85,000 miles, both front hub assemblies replaced by 80,000 miles, moon roof shorts out, replaced radio amp, initially had a coolant problem which years later turned out to problematic, and a catalytic converter problem. There were a few more but I have forgotten. So it has been pretty expensive once the warranty was out. I take car of my cars and do not drive them hard. This would be an awesome car if it was more reliable. It looks sharp great gas for the size. I do get 28mpg. I would pay an extra grand at the beginning for better quality.

Favorite Features

MPG...looks sharp.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality and reliability. I want to buy GM so bad...but they make it so hard. Can't I get a quality vehicle from GM for 27 or 28 grand??