Used 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Comfortable, fuel efficient and luxury
By clsharky

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Probably one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I bought this car with 154k kms 6 years ago and it currently has 326k kms with no engine issues at all. Aside from regular maintenance, the most expensive repair was the fuel pump replacement @ $600. However, installing it was a snap thanks to the access panel above the pump in the trunk. This car works excellent and has loads of power. The fuel economy is exceptional, thanks to its high aerodynamic rating. It barely revs above 2000 RPM at 110km/h hwy speeds, netting 36-37 MPG consistently. The styling is also very nice, and I am constantly getting positive remarks on its looks. The interior is also roomy and comfortable.

- Lots of power with unmatched fuel economy, even most 4 cyls cannot achieve similar MPG. - Very comfortable ride on any road. The interior has lots of room, even the back seat will comfortably seat 3 kids or 2 adults. - The trunk in this car is HUGE! I am a carpenter by trade and I have a 12" subwoofer/box installed in the trunk and still have loads of room for my tools/equipment for work. - The 3.4L V6 engine is very peppy and very reliable, I've never had any issues at all with it. - Great styling, esp. the SS trim.

- I have very few complaints with this car, but at heart, I am a Ford guy. Even still, compared to the Mustang which is its closest competition, I would take the Monte Carlo. - This is one of the infamous GM vehicles affected by the ignition switch recalls. However, the ignition security was repaired/bypassed in my car and I have never had issues with it. - Getting into and out of this car can sometimes be painful and hard on the back for tall people like myself, because it is so low to the ground.

had it for 3months wonderful car
By tweef

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

purchased my 2001 monte carlo ss 3 months ago from a orginal was scared at first car has 204k but after test driving fell in love with only thing i have done to it so far is brakes,oil,radiator flush other then that it been reliable only common problem with them is transmission thank the previous owner had it rebuilt few months before i bought gas is i drive 30miles a day gas is wonderful i put premium in it last me close to 8 days off da full tank this wont be that last monte carlo i own previous car i have owned were chevy astros95,98an till 2003 was lemon sold it bought my mc

Can't believe there's not more recalls on this vehicle
By eyzofblue72

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 car brand new in Nov 2000. Within the 1st year the driver seat heater went out - so had that replaced. Since then, I have had to have my catalytic converter replaced which now as I have been doing research found out it would have been covered under a Special Policy Adjustment - Catalytic Converter #05551 -(09/14/2005) Models: 2001-02 CHEVROLET IMPALA, MONTE CARLO EQUIPPED WITH 3.4L (RPO LA1 - VIN E) OR 3.8L (RPO L36 - VIN K) V6 ENGINE. Which surprisingly GM didn't bother to send. Now 4 years later, my catalytic converter needs to be replaced again. My security light has been on since 50k miles and I've had to replace my 4th gear shaft and the list goes on.

The only good thing I can say, is it does handle nicely and is reactive. Other than that, I'm done with GM.

GM sends out recalls for stupid things like needing to replace a plastic heat shield by the spark plug housing but yet major engine/operational failures which seem to be pretty consistent as I've done more research never happen.

Monte SS
By Mr E

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car and so far has been nothing but fun fun fun. The car had 68,000 miles even though the car is almost 10 years old, but when I say well kept! No problems so far except for the warning orange light for tire pressure that stays on which I'm used to now. I would love for Chevy to build more SS's such as the Monte Carlo and the Impala for 2011.

Heated Seats are wonderful, sunroof is off the chain, and I love the look and the attention that it gets being almost 10 years old.

The steering column slit noise and the large heavy doors. O! And if it were a little easier getting in and out of the back seat area.

It's just okay.
By KevinJ

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased the vehicle, I was relatively impressed. As much as i would love to say that I am still impressed to this day, I simply cannot. I have had to drop the car off to my local Chevy dealer multiple times for reasons like the car stalling randomly, running on 4cyl, broken rear defroster, a shot transmission, speakers not working, seat heater not working, sunroof broken, condensation in the tail lights, etc. To put it quite frankly, it has been a lemon. I do thoroughly enjoy driving it when it works (a rarity), but it needs more power for such a large displacing V6. I also enjoy the strength of the seat heaters(when they work.) I only have one more gripe. THE UGLIEST WHEELS EVER.

Moderate power, interesting looks. Decent handling.

More power, better electrical engineering, nicer rims right out of the factory. Better sound system, less plastic, louder exhaust. Power Power Power... It should live up to it's "SS" heritage. The only SS in this car is the owner, a "Super Spender."