Used 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Awesome Car
By niclin

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I'm 19 now bought this car after my '89 cutless rusted out. I saw this car at the dealership (in mid 2011) it caught my eye right away so I took for a test drive, liked it, bought it, took it home that same day. I've had it for almost a year right now and I have to say it's a very reliable car to have except the tranny is slipping at 188,000 miles, my driver side seat heater went out, had to replace the front right bearing, and the control arm. When I bought it it still had the original fuel pump so i had to replace that as well. It has great pick up for how heavy and big the car is which is pretty surprising, while getting good gas mileage about 22 city and 28 hwy.

Favorite Features

Leather interior, very sporty look and feel, great handling and performance, great space and leg room in the rear, big trunk space for my sports equipment and golf clubs, or for groceries

Good at first...!
By Matt

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I first bought the car and was excited because not too many of them were around. It had a few problems at first covered under my warranty, fuel filter leaked, needed a rear strut. It shifted great at first and now at around 125000 its really rough. Things started to go wrong after the 120000 mile mark. Little things at first, coolant temperature sensor, some of the plastic paneling in the car. Windshield wipers The main problem is the tranny which is very common around 120000 k. Besides that the car is powerful for being a large sedan. 0-60 in about 8 seconds. You can by-pass the governor as well...as soon as you reach the governor quickly put it in neutral and back in to gear, there ya go!

Favorite Features

Comfortable, quick, Not bad on gas.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the cheap interior, build them to last, make them in a 5-speed, place everything in and around the engine in a better spot, cant even change power steering fluid without getting angry! Had to remove head pipe to change temperature sensor.

GM's best-kept secret
By Erik Smith

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

As a car salesman, I sold these for years, and just purchased one for myself. The 2000-2007 Monte Carlo was a standout in the GM lineup, and used models are a bargain in SS trim (avoid base models). The car, unfortunately, was misunderstood -- witness the reviews here. It was really one of the last "personal luxury" cruisers -- stylish, extremely economical with the 3.8, roomy, and as powerful as it needed to be. A better performer than most 4-cyl cars, cheaper to operate than many, cheap to repair. If maintained, expect 200K-plus miles. Only drawback is the endemic GM midsize steering shaft problem, which can be solved cheaply ($5 or so) with DIY lubing. A wonderful car, a classic.

Favorite Features

2-door styling. SS model offers full luxury and sport handling, long wheelbase gives smooth ride. 200 hp in 2000-2005 SS models is plenty; GM's 3.8 motor is one of the great all-time engines for power and fuel economy (30- plus mpg on highway -- no fooling!) Used models with less than 100K are cheap!

Suggested Improvements

A little late for this, since the car was dropped after 07 model year. Would have been nice if GM solved the steering-shaft problem once and for all, but regular maintenance takes care of it. Advice to prospective purchasers -- this problem is no big deal; every car has quirks and this has very few.

Convinced me to buy American
By Beagleboy99

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I've owned a lot of cars over the 35+ years I have been driving, and consider myself a "car guy". I've owned mostly Japanese-Honda, Subaru, etc. Approaching a mid life crisis, I was looking for a car to accompany me on that journey. I'm a big guy, and wanted some comfort, and I usually carry a lot of stuff, even some lumber once in a while. I saw the first 2 MonteCarlo SS's on my local dealer lot, and loved the retro look. One of my favorite cars was the 1973 Monte, and this captured that essence nicely but updated. This car was impressively well made (Canada), was very comfortable and very reliable after a 6 month rough period at first. This was a winner for GM, sorry to see that it is gone

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, interior build quality and versatile layout. Surprising all weather handling with snow tire and traction control.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission could be troublesome on occasion skipping a shift. Otherwise trouble free after some software upgrades. Home run on this one for GM-they got me back to American brands.

Reliable Commuter
By Curtis

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2003 with 60,000km. I am now up to 280,000km and the car runs as smooth as the day I bought it. Haven't had to touch anything under the hood. Just the usual wheel bearings and tye rod replacements that you would normally have to with this kind of mileage. I have car pooled with people recently who drive imports and I just find they can't compare to the smoothness/comfort of a GM.

Favorite Features

Comfort and reliability. Powerfull V6. Great gas mileage if you keep it under 115km/h

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back!!!!!