2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Awesome Car
By niclin on 05/26/12 14:44 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I'm 19 now bought this car after my '89 cutless rusted out. I saw this car at the dealership (in mid 2011) it caught my eye right away so I took for a test drive, liked it, bought it, took it home that same day. I've had it for almost a year right now and I have to say it's a very reliable car to have except the tranny is slipping at 188,000 miles, my driver side seat heater went out, had to replace the front right bearing, and the control arm. When I bought it it still had the original fuel pump so i had to replace that as well. It has great pick up for how heavy and big the car is which is pretty surprising, while getting good gas mileage about 22 city and 28 hwy.

Good at first...!
By Matt on 01/22/10 12:24 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I first bought the car and was excited because not too many of them were around. It had a few problems at first covered under my warranty, fuel filter leaked, needed a rear strut. It shifted great at first and now at around 125000 its really rough. Things started to go wrong after the 120000 mile mark. Little things at first, coolant temperature sensor, some of the plastic paneling in the car. Windshield wipers The main problem is the tranny which is very common around 120000 k. Besides that the car is powerful for being a large sedan. 0-60 in about 8 seconds. You can by-pass the governor as well...as soon as you reach the governor quickly put it in neutral and back in to gear, there ya go!

GM's best-kept secret
By Erik Smith on 12/21/09 17:59 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

As a car salesman, I sold these for years, and just purchased one for myself. The 2000-2007 Monte Carlo was a standout in the GM lineup, and used models are a bargain in SS trim (avoid base models). The car, unfortunately, was misunderstood -- witness the reviews here. It was really one of the last "personal luxury" cruisers -- stylish, extremely economical with the 3.8, roomy, and as powerful as it needed to be. A better performer than most 4-cyl cars, cheaper to operate than many, cheap to repair. If maintained, expect 200K-plus miles. Only drawback is the endemic GM midsize steering shaft problem, which can be solved cheaply ($5 or so) with DIY lubing. A wonderful car, a classic.

Convinced me to buy American
By Beagleboy99 on 11/08/09 17:48 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I've owned a lot of cars over the 35+ years I have been driving, and consider myself a "car guy". I've owned mostly Japanese-Honda, Subaru, etc. Approaching a mid life crisis, I was looking for a car to accompany me on that journey. I'm a big guy, and wanted some comfort, and I usually carry a lot of stuff, even some lumber once in a while. I saw the first 2 MonteCarlo SS's on my local dealer lot, and loved the retro look. One of my favorite cars was the 1973 Monte, and this captured that essence nicely but updated. This car was impressively well made (Canada), was very comfortable and very reliable after a 6 month rough period at first. This was a winner for GM, sorry to see that it is gone

Reliable Commuter
By Curtis on 10/02/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2003 with 60,000km. I am now up to 280,000km and the car runs as smooth as the day I bought it. Haven't had to touch anything under the hood. Just the usual wheel bearings and tye rod replacements that you would normally have to with this kind of mileage. I have car pooled with people recently who drive imports and I just find they can't compare to the smoothness/comfort of a GM.

My love let me down
By Hera on 07/11/08 01:48 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I fell in love at first sight with the newer Monte and bought one in 2004. It was an excellent car for the first year or so then things started to go downhill. By 75,000 miles the car started missing and hesitating which seemed to be fixed by frequent tune-ups but the solution was only temporary. Now, with a year left on my 5 year loan, the car has major electrical problems - turn signals only work occasionally, some of the lights in the car quit working, it has troubling power surges that make it stutter while moving and it keeps killing a perfectly good battery. I was advised to dump it soon by a mechanic I took it to recently. And I too had to replace the driver side window switch.

Driving a beauty
By jay on 03/03/08 13:16 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I have enjoyed driving this beautiful vehicle. It's a real eye catcher, and iI have had numerous compliments on my SS Monte Carlo. Many thanks to the guys at the Chevy corporation. I just wanna jump up and click my heels!

I was looking for an Imapla
By Open New Mexico Road on 09/24/07 12:01 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I was looking for an Impala, but the salesman introduced me and sold me on the sportier sibling, the Monte Carlo. 85% of the 114,000 miles are highway miles...good miles. The 3.8 engine is as strong as the day I bought, and except for two recalls, only had to replace the drivers' side power window toggle switch. Still gets good gas mileage, 30 mpg in the city. It was also comforting that I did not have to trade it in when I had to put two car seats, on teenager, and a wife into it. It actually had more seating space than my wifes S-10 Blazer. Has the original paint, no problems except for highway debris. I would love to buy a 2008, but going to keep the 2000 until she can't go no more

Love the Style, but Hate the Problems
By Capehart on 02/10/07 09:58 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

46 miles after purchase, the computer goes out. Great for 2 years, then the transmission goes out, sunroof gets stuck open and needs to be replaced. Now after a new head gasket from the leaking oil, it leaks worse. The car only has 88,000 miles now.

Best Car I've ever owned. I love it
By hd on 06/06/06 10:37 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

It's a great car. I bought it for college and I'm now out of college and I'm still driving this car. It is an absolute blast to drive. It's wonderful for someone who is going to be going to school and doesn't need a full size four door car but I'm the the point where I am going to be having a baby so I'm going to be needing a four door car or SUV.