2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Awesome Car
By niclin on 05/26/12 14:44 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I'm 19 now bought this car after my '89 cutless rusted out. I saw this car at the dealership (in mid 2011) it caught my eye right away so I took for a test drive, liked it, bought it, took it home that same day. I've had it for almost a year right now and I have to say it's a very reliable car to have except the tranny is slipping at 188,000 miles, my driver side seat heater went out, had to replace the front right bearing, and the control arm. When I bought it it still had the original fuel pump so i had to replace that as well. It has great pick up for how heavy and big the car is which is pretty surprising, while getting good gas mileage about 22 city and 28 hwy.

MoNique the DivaMobile! <3
By Joey on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I purchased my maroon Monte Carlo in January 2009 from my dad. She had 151,000 on her, and there was a crack in front of the driver's headlight where my dad had kicked her because he is impatient and she cold started on him. The battery cables have been troublesome, but is tolerable. I've put rear brakes, a new intake gasket, a wheel hub, new tires, and a new starter on her, approximately $2300. I only use premium fuel and a bottle of gas treatment with every tank, change the oil every 3000 miles, she has been good to me. Coming up on 188K, and she will accompany me on my move from Indiana back to Michigan. To many more years and miles with my baby!

Its an ok car
By mellowc on 04/06/10 11:31 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

Looks unique, but has no guts in it. The 3.4 L model will get you from a to b, but this engine will certainly not win you any races. Nice front seat, but cheap parts have cost me some money. Engine also blew a head gasket, which this engine is known to do; $700. I was looking for a car with some get up and go, this is not it. Its an ok car, but leaves you wanting more.

Excellent car, sorry to see it go
By IL Monte on 02/03/10 15:17 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

An incredibly reliable and safe car. I had my 2000 LS until it was totaled in an accident with a semi, but I walked away unharmed. Sorry to see it go, but it kept me safe. In 9 years of ownership, my only real problem was one fouled injector. Another issue but much more minor was having to replace the passenger side power window switch two or three times. Other than that, two new sets of tires and two new sets of brakes due to regular mileage, and no complaints. Regular oil changes, regular maintenance, change the fluids regularly, voluntarily swapped out plugs and voluntary tune-ups. Take care of this car and it will take care of you. Sorry they don't make Montes anymore.

Good at first...!
By Matt on 01/22/10 12:24 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I first bought the car and was excited because not too many of them were around. It had a few problems at first covered under my warranty, fuel filter leaked, needed a rear strut. It shifted great at first and now at around 125000 its really rough. Things started to go wrong after the 120000 mile mark. Little things at first, coolant temperature sensor, some of the plastic paneling in the car. Windshield wipers The main problem is the tranny which is very common around 120000 k. Besides that the car is powerful for being a large sedan. 0-60 in about 8 seconds. You can by-pass the governor as well...as soon as you reach the governor quickly put it in neutral and back in to gear, there ya go!

GM's best-kept secret
By Erik Smith on 12/21/09 17:59 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

As a car salesman, I sold these for years, and just purchased one for myself. The 2000-2007 Monte Carlo was a standout in the GM lineup, and used models are a bargain in SS trim (avoid base models). The car, unfortunately, was misunderstood -- witness the reviews here. It was really one of the last "personal luxury" cruisers -- stylish, extremely economical with the 3.8, roomy, and as powerful as it needed to be. A better performer than most 4-cyl cars, cheaper to operate than many, cheap to repair. If maintained, expect 200K-plus miles. Only drawback is the endemic GM midsize steering shaft problem, which can be solved cheaply ($5 or so) with DIY lubing. A wonderful car, a classic.

Convinced me to buy American
By Beagleboy99 on 11/08/09 17:48 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I've owned a lot of cars over the 35+ years I have been driving, and consider myself a "car guy". I've owned mostly Japanese-Honda, Subaru, etc. Approaching a mid life crisis, I was looking for a car to accompany me on that journey. I'm a big guy, and wanted some comfort, and I usually carry a lot of stuff, even some lumber once in a while. I saw the first 2 MonteCarlo SS's on my local dealer lot, and loved the retro look. One of my favorite cars was the 1973 Monte, and this captured that essence nicely but updated. This car was impressively well made (Canada), was very comfortable and very reliable after a 6 month rough period at first. This was a winner for GM, sorry to see that it is gone

Reliable Commuter
By Curtis on 10/02/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2003 with 60,000km. I am now up to 280,000km and the car runs as smooth as the day I bought it. Haven't had to touch anything under the hood. Just the usual wheel bearings and tye rod replacements that you would normally have to with this kind of mileage. I have car pooled with people recently who drive imports and I just find they can't compare to the smoothness/comfort of a GM.

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo LS
By montewithproblems on 01/01/09 09:33 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I bought my Monte Carlo used with 98000 miles. Granted it wasn't new, since I have owned it I have had many problems. Heater blower motor and resistor went, ball joint, thermostat, transmission is starting to hestitate, power mirrors only work when they want to, and now the car is leaking antifreeze. I was told by my mechanic that the head gasket is going. I have only put 10000 miles on it. I would worn others to be cautious buying a used one with higher miles. The seats are uncomfortable. The car does look great though and does turn heads. Just wish it was more reliable. This is probably my last Chevy!

Hey Baby! Nice Car!
By Xplicit Kontent on 12/10/08 08:22 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car last year. All in all, I love this car! The seats have adjustable lumbar support which makes it easy to make your seat have the perfect level of comfort and you have lots of room instead of being cramped together. I added a K&N air filter and add Lucas Oil fuel additive each time I change my oil. These two things jumped my gas mileage from 21 to 26 mpg(city) and 29 mpg(highway). I recommend this!

1 2 3 4 5 next »