Used 1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Bought it out of showroom
By dnaangel

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Bought this car in 1999 out of the showroom and STILL use it as my daily driver. 178k miles and still runs strong, fun car to drive though not as much umph as it used to (to be expected) Definitely showing it age after 15+ years of use. No major issues as of yet (*Knocks on wood*), have changed the Waterpump, Fuel Filter, Sunroof and Passenger side window motors, Radiator and Vaccum line to A/C compressor as well as Valve Cover Gaskets over those 15 years, that's about it on major repairs. To this day Sunroof and A/C still work, will still lay rubber through 2nd gear and loves to be opened up.

Get up and go power McPherson Struts Decent Gas mileage (26 mpg Average)

Put to the test Monte
By Kylene King

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

The 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 was my very first car, and I've had it for over 3 years. Naturally, as a teenager, I've put it through a lot. The leather option is nice, but is somewhat "cheap" feeling, not at all like the leather found on newer models. Gas mileage I would have to say is "average." As a high-end V6, it definitely has power. Handling is good, steering seems good to me. The AC and heat is "average."

Leather interior, sporty feel, plenty of room for a carload (especially for a coupe!) good handling, ample power.

The plastic parts of the interior are made out of really cheap material. My console has all but fallen apart. It's peeling, the ashtray lid is broken, and the console lid is broken. Another cup holder would be nice, as the '99 only has one. I've found the alternator to be a problem, with this style.

Runs Strong
By MikeNJ

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in June of 2000. I admit I was skeptical given all the American car bashing that came out of the 80's and early 90's, but I've always preferred to buy American. This Monte Carlo is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned! I am in sales, I drive a lot, averaging 30K-40K miles per year. My Monte now has 177K miles on it and is only now beginning to show some well-deserved repair needs (loss of power, mechanical issue). With that said, I can have it fixed and she'll keep on going. And my gut says she'll go another 100K easy! I cared for the car meticulously, synthetic oil every 3000 miles, plugs/wires every 50K, Trans fluid every 30K, etc, etc. No transmission problems, nothing. Best!

Reliability, power, comfort, stylish back-end.

Body roll, power steering fluid canister accessibility.

My best car
By greg miller

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

This car has never been back to the dealer. I do my own oil changes and inspections. Original battery, brakes. Just replaced tires two months ago. Everything works like new. Best cornering full sized car; like it's on rails. Great sound system. Good leg room. Big trunk. Black. Dale Earnhardt car. 25 MPG on 80 MPH trips to Las Vegas.

The exterior style, look. Interior style excellent also, good quality leather. Quiet ride.

More power. Should have had V-8 w/ RWD

OK car
By Shawn

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I have had my Monte Carlo for almost two years. Pretty good overall car. It's very reliable and I haven't had too many problems with it. However, the gas mileage is terrible in the city, I average about 18 mpg, much better on the road though. The hinge on the glove compartment broke, and braking in the rain was bad until I had the front fender liners trimmed. Overall I have been happy with the performance, never lost a race with any high-schoolers at stop lights with their Civics and Eclipses!

Definitely power! Wish they offered the car in a manual though, it would be more fun.

Add a manual transmission. Make the turning radius better! (hard to park in tight spaces) Better quality of interior and better gas mileage!

• SUV