Used 1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Monte-carlo - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

mostly dissapointing but good daily driver
By joker42369

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I had this car for 4 years with leather interiour and 3.1L engine. For the driving enthusiast which i am, this car was a dissapointment. It rolls around turns and is just way too slow. However, it started up every day for me with no problems ever, and stayed together pretty nice considering how bad i beat it up. The leather interiour was nice and the confiest coupe you can find. mileage was about 17-18 city. looks good only from a few angles.

Favorite Features

interior, quiet, smooth ride, comfy and spacious, and very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

this car was ugly, and too slow to bear the 'monte carlo' badge. a lot of little problems built up on me like window motors, electrical issues like turn signals etc.

where is the recall?
By never again

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 99 Monte Carlo used with 22000 miles on it. It went good for 3 yrs and then antifreeze started leaking for the first time. Still under warranty, the dealership fixed the intake manifold gasket. GM knows they have a problem with the material the manifold is made of, it warps and antifreeze starts leaking. The car now has 170,000 miles and i just replaced the manifold gasket for the 4th time at about $450 each time. GM needs to own up to the issues they have with the cars they make. I wrote to them but received no response. I see so many issues they just ignore and that is no way to treat your customers! I for one will never buy a GM product again!!

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

Fix the intake manifold so it doesn't leak and when you see you have so many complaints... issue a recall!

OK car
By Shawn

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I have had my Monte Carlo for almost two years. Pretty good overall car. It's very reliable and I haven't had too many problems with it. However, the gas mileage is terrible in the city, I average about 18 mpg, much better on the road though. The hinge on the glove compartment broke, and braking in the rain was bad until I had the front fender liners trimmed. Overall I have been happy with the performance, never lost a race with any high-schoolers at stop lights with their Civics and Eclipses!

Favorite Features

Definitely power! Wish they offered the car in a manual though, it would be more fun.

Suggested Improvements

Add a manual transmission. Make the turning radius better! (hard to park in tight spaces) Better quality of interior and better gas mileage!

Bought it out of showroom
By dnaangel

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Bought this car in 1999 out of the showroom and STILL use it as my daily driver. 178k miles and still runs strong, fun car to drive though not as much umph as it used to (to be expected) Definitely showing it age after 15+ years of use. No major issues as of yet (*Knocks on wood*), have changed the Waterpump, Fuel Filter, Sunroof and Passenger side window motors, Radiator and Vaccum line to A/C compressor as well as Valve Cover Gaskets over those 15 years, that's about it on major repairs. To this day Sunroof and A/C still work, will still lay rubber through 2nd gear and loves to be opened up.

Favorite Features

Get up and go power McPherson Struts Decent Gas mileage (26 mpg Average)

Put to the test Monte
By Kylene King

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

The 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 was my very first car, and I've had it for over 3 years. Naturally, as a teenager, I've put it through a lot. The leather option is nice, but is somewhat "cheap" feeling, not at all like the leather found on newer models. Gas mileage I would have to say is "average." As a high-end V6, it definitely has power. Handling is good, steering seems good to me. The AC and heat is "average."

Favorite Features

Leather interior, sporty feel, plenty of room for a carload (especially for a coupe!) good handling, ample power.

Suggested Improvements

The plastic parts of the interior are made out of really cheap material. My console has all but fallen apart. It's peeling, the ashtray lid is broken, and the console lid is broken. Another cup holder would be nice, as the '99 only has one. I've found the alternator to be a problem, with this style.