Reliable, and Lots of Fun!
By roman238 on
1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe
I no longer own this car, but I felt it deserved my review. Bought this car used in 2002 with 23,000 miles on her. At the time it was overall the best car I had ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. At 34k the rear seals went bad, (a common problem with the 3100 that year). At about 45k I replaced the brakes. The muffler cracked at 60k...replaced that. The gas tank at 64k and the water pump at 85k. I put new tires on when I first bought her, and they passed inspection in May 2012. Other than those repairs, all I did was change the oil and rotate the tires. In Nov. of 2012, I traded the old girl in on a 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 with only 45k which I will review as well. The best car I ever had!
Favorite Features
I bought this car loaded with every feature available at that time. Leather, cd player, power everything, sunroof, AC, huge trunk, etc. A whole bunch of little things went wrong over the years, but nothing would stop this car from going, day after day, mile after mile. I loved driving this automobile! In spite of the flaws, I loved this car so much that when I finally traded her in, I felt like I had lost a friend.
Suggested Improvements
Some of the interior items could have been improved upon. The glove box broke after a couple of years, the center console cover too. A few trim screws popped here and there, the AC went (I didn't bother fixing it), I changed the battery and realized the placement was not friendly to a back yard mechanic. The frame for the sunroof loosened up and I quit using the slider after that because the repair was so involved. Still, overall she was the best car I've ever owned.