1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Review: Reliable, and Lots of Fun!

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe - Consumer Review

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe

Reliable, and Lots of Fun!
By roman238 on

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I no longer own this car, but I felt it deserved my review. Bought this car used in 2002 with 23,000 miles on her. At the time it was overall the best car I had ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. At 34k the rear seals went bad, (a common problem with the 3100 that year). At about 45k I replaced the brakes. The muffler cracked at 60k...replaced that. The gas tank at 64k and the water pump at 85k. I put new tires on when I first bought her, and they passed inspection in May 2012. Other than those repairs, all I did was change the oil and rotate the tires. In Nov. of 2012, I traded the old girl in on a 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 with only 45k which I will review as well. The best car I ever had!

I bought this car loaded with every feature available at that time. Leather, cd player, power everything, sunroof, AC, huge trunk, etc. A whole bunch of little things went wrong over the years, but nothing would stop this car from going, day after day, mile after mile. I loved driving this automobile! In spite of the flaws, I loved this car so much that when I finally traded her in, I felt like I had lost a friend.

Some of the interior items could have been improved upon. The glove box broke after a couple of years, the center console cover too. A few trim screws popped here and there, the AC went (I didn't bother fixing it), I changed the battery and realized the placement was not friendly to a back yard mechanic. The frame for the sunroof loosened up and I quit using the slider after that because the repair was so involved. Still, overall she was the best car I've ever owned.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review