Used 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Monte-carlo - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

All good but the transmission
By KennyCashmere

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new as a leftover in August 1998. Now, in December 2004, with 90K miles, and after NO major repairs, it is still such a reliable, comfortable, and yes, economical car that I'm wondering if I should keep it AND buy a new one. Why buy a new one at all? The transmission gets stuck in second gear (won't upshift or downshift to first) when the car is very cold, and after five service visits to three separate dealers, they still don't know what's wrong. The new ones don't have standard ABS (cheesy!) like the '98 did, the transmission shifts roughly on the new ones, the brake pedal is too high on the new ones, the seats uncomfortable, etc. But the '98 has been a great car!

Favorite Features

26 mpg overall, with plenty of power for normal driving. Good looking car with a much nicer interior than the new ones. Original tires are lasting FOREVER. Standard ABS. Just as reliable as my Lexus LS400 was (and MORE reliable than both of my Camrys!).

Suggested Improvements

Improvements? They should've left it as it was! Take care of the transmission problems, then make the 2005's more like the 1998's.

WoW! Exceeded Expectations
By Mamahoot

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Bought the car 9/97 off the showroom floor and it now has 200,000 miles. I am a sales rep and travel many a mile in my Z34. I love the power of the engine and the gas mileage is great. I have had no issues with the car. I feel it is time to retire the car because of the mileage but feel it still has many miles yet to come. The tires that come on the car are superb - I have only had to replace the tires twice in the 200,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The engine, look of the exterior, and the comfort of my front seat.

Suggested Improvements

None -- what can I say after 200,000 miles.

At 100,000 Miles.......................
By Bill60532

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I bought the car when it was 2 years old with about 20,000 miles. Car ran well, good power and torgue from the solid GM 6 cylinder. However, as noted by one other reviewer, at 100,000 all heck has begun to break louse. Problems with breaks, locking up for no reason. Now, it appears I may have to replace the transmission. Note, the hard shifting you feel is the start of bad things, and should be corrected. GM 4 speed automatic is not as sturdy as thier 3 speed. Potentail cost of a new trans, about $2,500.

Favorite Features

Good starting torque from the engin. Quiet and comfortable ride, but fairly responsive in the turns.

Suggested Improvements

After so many years, GM should have had known problems solved in the 4 spead automatic transmission.

good family car
By energyguy

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

This is a good family car that gives you a break from the minivan. My Monte Carlo is a reasonable compromise between power and fuel economy for an american product. It lacks in sportiness in comparison to the older rear wheel drive models, but it has been a good choice as a second family vehicle used for daily work commuting.

Favorite Features

Nice acceleration. I have gotten as much as 29 mpg on highway. Style with long wheel base.

Suggested Improvements

Better turn signal switch assembly. I had to replace this twice while I owned it.

Reliable car
By nascarfan3

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

This has been a very reliable car for me. Had a new transmission put in around 90k because of something very rare. Mechanic had never seen it happen before, just a fluke. Have had no other problems. Still drives well and gets decent gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Radio controlls on the steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Body style should be sportier