1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Ok car for the money
By Jessz71 on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car in 1/2003 and have had it for a year. It is a decent looking car, but not that I am nearing 100,000 miles seems like everything is going at once. When you accelerate to 3500 the transmission shifts very hard when it is warm, but when it is cold smooth as a daisy. It is leaking oil from the pan and when you roll the windows up when it is cold the don't roll all the way up. The anti lock light also is on and it seems that the shocks are going. I change oil and do regualar maintenance, but i just don't understand.

My Car
By Lissa on 01/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

Great Car! Few small things, cup holders cheaply made, electrical system issues, otherwise no problems!

I wanted the best and I got the best!
By Tony G on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for 15 months and I haven't had a problem with it. This car has only had normal maintenance done to it by me. This is a smooth riding car, sporty and fun. The car drives like a champ. Some of the best features are the dual climate controls (my wife says that we can never buy a car without this feature), huge trunk, 3.8 liter engine and the accessability of controls (steering wheel and center console). If you are looking for a good reliable car this is it. Just remember to give it proper up keep and find one that was taken care of and it's a car to enjoy for a long time. Enjoy the pleasure of owning this car.

watch out for the battery!!!
By John1234 on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

the original battery has corrosion problems. The acids from the battery will leak out and cause severe corrosive damage to the interior of the engine bay. On our car, the leak caused a 1" diameter hole in the inside sheetmetal, and extensive corrosion around the battery and to the battery plate holder. Due to the batteries location, the damage to neither the vehicle nor the battery is visible until it has to be replaced! Then you will only find out if the mechanic replacing the battery tells you of the damage, which is past the 3/36 warranty. Even though it is within the 6yr/100k body corrosion warranty, Chevrolet will try not to cover this repair

MC
By Rupi on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

gretas car. Runs great makes you feel like nascar driver. smooth drive and very comfy. Sporty family car. lots of space. Good balance in snow

98 Monte Carlo
By Richard Black on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

Nice smooth running reliable car.

Easy Monte
By Jay63146 on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I bought this car on a whim when I took the car that I owned in for an oil change. I loved it so much from the get go that I cancelled the oil change and arranged to buy this car. GM's 3800 V6 is wonderful and powerful, seats are comfy. Good stereo and love the steering wheel controls. Like this much better than the newer Montes.

funner than most
By zillaryder on 05/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I love my Monte. But i do have a few things that could be better. 1. The drivers seat is to soft. It needs to grip you better. 2. The seat belt guide is annoying when trying to get something or someone out of the backseat. 3. The passenger airbag fit isn't the greatest. 4. I put stiffer tires on mine to help it's cornering ability. 5. I've broke the lid on the center consol twice when leaning over it to get something out of the back. 6. GM's dedication to the "unistick" cruise, signals, wipers & brights all on one stick. 7. The negetive stereotypes that come with the name "Monte Carlo". My brothers call it the "Granny Carlo" among others.

Not Bad
By BigDub on 04/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I purchased this vehicle in January of 2001 with 45,000 miles on it. I drove that car any and everywhere and never put it in the shop. I took very good care of the vehicle as far a oil changes and tires. When I purchased the car I bought an extended warranty and warranty ran out so I traded the car in October of 2002. At the time of the trade the car had 76,000 miles on it. I never had a problem

MC-1
By sleepyhollow on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

First brakes at 44700, all wheels wearing very evenly. New brakes pads squeek however. Just had first new battery at 45000. Original corroded severly and positive post fell off battery. Recommend change out after 3- 4 years reqardless of condition. Very difficult to access battery, under windshield washer. Very thin an weak hood sheet metal. Dents if you push it closed. Let drop to close.