Used 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

210,000 miles!
By Logan

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

At 210,000 miles this thing is still driving great. God bless the 3.8! I have repaired a waterpump, replaced one battery and a starter. The most expensive repair was around 75 dollars and a couple hours of labor. I'll change the oil every 4 to 6 thousand miles and keep an eye on my brakes for maintanence and change out my air filter every 15,000 miles. If you rode in this car you would never guess that it has driven over 200 thousand miles and eaten through 3 sets of tires. Anyway, great car and better motor!

Just keeps going and going!

New blinkers

Monte Carlo!
By blake

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

i have had this monte for 2 years and I put a lot of work into it. I upgraded some parts to performance. air intake, rims, tinted windows, performance chip, painted calipers. Chevy is easy to handle, maintain, easy to replace everything. I get about 17 gallons per gallons tho, and its bad since the gas prices are right now!

Need better gas mileage or upgrade these engines to e85 gas!

Good Car
By Jared

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Great all around car to have. I bought it with 97,000 miles a year ago. It had a few problems right away with the directional switch, but the dealer fixed it. Then it had a problem with the starter, but my warranty covered it. Besides that it is quite solid, and the engine purrs the way it did when it was brand new I'm sure. I have no big complaints because all other problems are minor. The hinge on the storage compartment on mine broke too, and the transmission doesn't seem to grip right away when it's shifted into park (it coasts a bit and then snaps to a rest pretty hard). Also, the gas mileage isn't great on mine (22 mpg) average, but I'm buying some upgrades to improve that.

The 3800 series II motor is one of the best Chevy ever built. It has great power and decent fuel economy, also the car rides comfortably and has many great luxury features (dual climate control, etc). I now have 115,00 miles on it and it's still a very solid car, and I would by a new one, no doubts

The car has some electrical gremlins that need to be addressed. I've had a few light problems because shorts, starter was replaced, directional switch was replaced, and my ABS sensor goes on every now and then (esp in winter), and I have to turn my car off and then back on again to have ABS

Durable
By sbbarnes

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I purchased my Monte Carlo from my uncle who bought it new. It had a few minor oil leaks and some transmission leaks. It was easily fixed and now it currently has over 225,000 miles. Not one spot of rust, though some stone pecks. The doors haven't dropped at all. It is just as quiet as ever. This one has the 3100 engine. No problems yet. Though the gas mileage isn't as good. I average 24-27 mostly highway.

It still goes. No hesitation after 225000 miles. Plenty of acceleration. It feels like it leans into the wind. Plenty of go power when you need it.

The doors are way too long. If you park next to another car you have to contort your body to get out of the car. Trunk space could be improved. Also this car in not pretty.

I Love My Monte
By Patricia Engelbrecht

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I believe something happened to my car before I bought it...the front seats are NOT right. The time I asked them to be checked I was told they were normal...but I have checked other 1998 Monte Carlos and they are better. My husband is a big guy and he does not have much room. Besides this problem, I love my Monte Carlo. (I owned a 1985 Monte Carlo before I bought the 1998.)

Beautiful car ~ Handles well ~ (Knock on wood) Have not had any problems with it.

Paint seemed to chip in some places..a little too soon...