1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Best car I've ever owned
By Dave on 09/24/05 07:20 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Truly the best car I've ever owned. It has never been in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance. I've gotten as high as 29 MPG on the highway- four cylinder mileage with six cylinder power. City MPG is holding up at 24- I couldn't ask for anything more. Great handling, excellent tire wear, a/c blows cold, no rattles, and no service visits. I will definitely own this car until it dies- which I don't believe will happen- it keeps going. Kudos, GM, on the best car I could ever ask for.

A Great Car !
By Cari on 08/18/05 00:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I did not plan on keeping my car this long. But it just keeps going and going and going. It has been a great car with very few repairs needed. I am still waiting for a reason to get a new one. Not yet !

Still kickin'
By Mr. B on 03/31/05 10:34 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I've now had my '98 Z34 for 5 years. I've had few issues with her. She now has over 160,000 miles on the original engine and transmission and she runs smoothly. Surprisingly, the gas mileage has gotten better with age! I average around 24 MPG (21 around town; 28 on the Interstate). All of the accessories have held up well. One of the few complaints I have is the quality of the center console--there is a plastic coating that tends to rub off and the hinges for the console storage lid broke. Mechanically, this car has done pretty well. I've had some seemingly unique issues: transmission solenoid failed at 40K mi.; plenum warped at 130K (plastic cover on top of engine). Overall, I am VERY happy with my '98 Z34!

So So
By Eric on 03/06/05 17:09 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

When I purchased the car it had a whine from the power steering pump, but was corrected by replacing the hose with a larger diameter one. Had replaced the alternater 3 times with a battery each time. Fuel economy is about 19 mpg average. Car rides like a dream and power is great. Anti-lock brakes and AC does not work and too costly to repair.

A Good Product
By Satisfied Gal on 01/28/05 20:06 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Purchased my Z34 new in torch red with charcoal leather seats and practically everything available on it. Feed it regular gas and synthetic oil with regular non-extravagent routine preventive maintenance. The Front wheel drive and large tires give outstanding control in snow. The Z34 Monte is most reliable car have had yet. Comfortable & attractive,everyone notices it -- not always a good thing! At 118K miles reliability degraded & a few quirky, not so small repairs started. Transmission hiccupped at 129K miles then at 140K miles. Cost some money to fix. Would get a Chevy again if could find a caring mechanic. Curious to see how long this car will last--was a good buy.

All good but the transmission
By KennyCashmere on 12/21/04 13:51 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new as a leftover in August 1998. Now, in December 2004, with 90K miles, and after NO major repairs, it is still such a reliable, comfortable, and yes, economical car that I'm wondering if I should keep it AND buy a new one. Why buy a new one at all? The transmission gets stuck in second gear (won't upshift or downshift to first) when the car is very cold, and after five service visits to three separate dealers, they still don't know what's wrong. The new ones don't have standard ABS (cheesy!) like the '98 did, the transmission shifts roughly on the new ones, the brake pedal is too high on the new ones, the seats uncomfortable, etc. But the '98 has been a great car!

WoW! Exceeded Expectations
By Mamahoot on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Bought the car 9/97 off the showroom floor and it now has 200,000 miles. I am a sales rep and travel many a mile in my Z34. I love the power of the engine and the gas mileage is great. I have had no issues with the car. I feel it is time to retire the car because of the mileage but feel it still has many miles yet to come. The tires that come on the car are superb - I have only had to replace the tires twice in the 200,000 miles.

At 100,000 Miles.......................
By Bill60532 on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I bought the car when it was 2 years old with about 20,000 miles. Car ran well, good power and torgue from the solid GM 6 cylinder. However, as noted by one other reviewer, at 100,000 all heck has begun to break louse. Problems with breaks, locking up for no reason. Now, it appears I may have to replace the transmission. Note, the hard shifting you feel is the start of bad things, and should be corrected. GM 4 speed automatic is not as sturdy as thier 3 speed. Potentail cost of a new trans, about $2,500.

good family car
By energyguy on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

This is a good family car that gives you a break from the minivan. My Monte Carlo is a reasonable compromise between power and fuel economy for an american product. It lacks in sportiness in comparison to the older rear wheel drive models, but it has been a good choice as a second family vehicle used for daily work commuting.

Reliable car
By nascarfan3 on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

This has been a very reliable car for me. Had a new transmission put in around 90k because of something very rare. Mechanic had never seen it happen before, just a fluke. Have had no other problems. Still drives well and gets decent gas mileage.