Used 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Best car I ever owned.
By chevylover333

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Here is a list of all the things I have replaced on this car. Both front hub assemblies, right front brake caliper, fuel pump and lower intake manifold gaskets because the oil and coolant were mixing. Things that currently don't work are sun roof, air conditioning (due to leak in line going into the condensor) and brake lights only work when pulling back on turn signal while braking. I think that is a really good track record for a car that has 235k on it and counting! The transmission and engine are in excellent condition even though Im pretty sure the transmission fluid has only been changed once. Its the wifes car and I took over maintenance at 150k and I know it hasn't been changed since

Reliability and power are my favorite features. Even though she still has 235k on her my wife and I drive it like we stole it and she keeps taking the punishment and begging for more! I love the looks on peoples faces when I open up the 3.8 V6 and dust em LOL! They dont expect that from a old and beat up Chevy.

Watch out for the oil and coolant mixing. They fixed the gaskets and the new ones are aluminum so the dexcool antifreeze cant eat em up. Chevy just needs to work on their electrical systems on all makes and models! I love Chevys but the electrical engineers need to step up their game. Way too many burnt out headlights, brake lights and just annoying little things like my message center light in my 07' Avalanche shorting out. But I will still buy a Chevy before anything else because you just can't beat the the main component reliability. I.E. Engine and transmission.

210,000 miles!
By Logan

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

At 210,000 miles this thing is still driving great. God bless the 3.8! I have repaired a waterpump, replaced one battery and a starter. The most expensive repair was around 75 dollars and a couple hours of labor. I'll change the oil every 4 to 6 thousand miles and keep an eye on my brakes for maintanence and change out my air filter every 15,000 miles. If you rode in this car you would never guess that it has driven over 200 thousand miles and eaten through 3 sets of tires. Anyway, great car and better motor!

Just keeps going and going!

New blinkers

Monte Carlo!
By blake

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

i have had this monte for 2 years and I put a lot of work into it. I upgraded some parts to performance. air intake, rims, tinted windows, performance chip, painted calipers. Chevy is easy to handle, maintain, easy to replace everything. I get about 17 gallons per gallons tho, and its bad since the gas prices are right now!

Need better gas mileage or upgrade these engines to e85 gas!

Good Car
By Jared

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Great all around car to have. I bought it with 97,000 miles a year ago. It had a few problems right away with the directional switch, but the dealer fixed it. Then it had a problem with the starter, but my warranty covered it. Besides that it is quite solid, and the engine purrs the way it did when it was brand new I'm sure. I have no big complaints because all other problems are minor. The hinge on the storage compartment on mine broke too, and the transmission doesn't seem to grip right away when it's shifted into park (it coasts a bit and then snaps to a rest pretty hard). Also, the gas mileage isn't great on mine (22 mpg) average, but I'm buying some upgrades to improve that.

The 3800 series II motor is one of the best Chevy ever built. It has great power and decent fuel economy, also the car rides comfortably and has many great luxury features (dual climate control, etc). I now have 115,00 miles on it and it's still a very solid car, and I would by a new one, no doubts

The car has some electrical gremlins that need to be addressed. I've had a few light problems because shorts, starter was replaced, directional switch was replaced, and my ABS sensor goes on every now and then (esp in winter), and I have to turn my car off and then back on again to have ABS

Best car I've ever owned
By Dave

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Truly the best car I've ever owned. It has never been in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance. I've gotten as high as 29 MPG on the highway- four cylinder mileage with six cylinder power. City MPG is holding up at 24- I couldn't ask for anything more. Great handling, excellent tire wear, a/c blows cold, no rattles, and no service visits. I will definitely own this car until it dies- which I don't believe will happen- it keeps going. Kudos, GM, on the best car I could ever ask for.

Everything