1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Best car I ever owned.
By chevylover333 on 02/14/14 18:00 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Here is a list of all the things I have replaced on this car. Both front hub assemblies, right front brake caliper, fuel pump and lower intake manifold gaskets because the oil and coolant were mixing. Things that currently don't work are sun roof, air conditioning (due to leak in line going into the condensor) and brake lights only work when pulling back on turn signal while braking. I think that is a really good track record for a car that has 235k on it and counting! The transmission and engine are in excellent condition even though Im pretty sure the transmission fluid has only been changed once. Its the wifes car and I took over maintenance at 150k and I know it hasn't been changed since

210,000 miles!
By Logan on 08/04/08 14:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

At 210,000 miles this thing is still driving great. God bless the 3.8! I have repaired a waterpump, replaced one battery and a starter. The most expensive repair was around 75 dollars and a couple hours of labor. I'll change the oil every 4 to 6 thousand miles and keep an eye on my brakes for maintanence and change out my air filter every 15,000 miles. If you rode in this car you would never guess that it has driven over 200 thousand miles and eaten through 3 sets of tires. Anyway, great car and better motor!

Monte Carlo!
By blake on 03/17/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

i have had this monte for 2 years and I put a lot of work into it. I upgraded some parts to performance. air intake, rims, tinted windows, performance chip, painted calipers. Chevy is easy to handle, maintain, easy to replace everything. I get about 17 gallons per gallons tho, and its bad since the gas prices are right now!

Good Car
By Jared on 07/23/06 23:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Great all around car to have. I bought it with 97,000 miles a year ago. It had a few problems right away with the directional switch, but the dealer fixed it. Then it had a problem with the starter, but my warranty covered it. Besides that it is quite solid, and the engine purrs the way it did when it was brand new I'm sure. I have no big complaints because all other problems are minor. The hinge on the storage compartment on mine broke too, and the transmission doesn't seem to grip right away when it's shifted into park (it coasts a bit and then snaps to a rest pretty hard). Also, the gas mileage isn't great on mine (22 mpg) average, but I'm buying some upgrades to improve that.

Best car I've ever owned
By Dave on 09/24/05 07:20 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Truly the best car I've ever owned. It has never been in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance. I've gotten as high as 29 MPG on the highway- four cylinder mileage with six cylinder power. City MPG is holding up at 24- I couldn't ask for anything more. Great handling, excellent tire wear, a/c blows cold, no rattles, and no service visits. I will definitely own this car until it dies- which I don't believe will happen- it keeps going. Kudos, GM, on the best car I could ever ask for.

A Great Car !
By Cari on 08/18/05 00:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I did not plan on keeping my car this long. But it just keeps going and going and going. It has been a great car with very few repairs needed. I am still waiting for a reason to get a new one. Not yet !

Still kickin'
By Mr. B on 03/31/05 10:34 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I've now had my '98 Z34 for 5 years. I've had few issues with her. She now has over 160,000 miles on the original engine and transmission and she runs smoothly. Surprisingly, the gas mileage has gotten better with age! I average around 24 MPG (21 around town; 28 on the Interstate). All of the accessories have held up well. One of the few complaints I have is the quality of the center console--there is a plastic coating that tends to rub off and the hinges for the console storage lid broke. Mechanically, this car has done pretty well. I've had some seemingly unique issues: transmission solenoid failed at 40K mi.; plenum warped at 130K (plastic cover on top of engine). Overall, I am VERY happy with my '98 Z34!

So So
By Eric on 03/06/05 17:09 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

When I purchased the car it had a whine from the power steering pump, but was corrected by replacing the hose with a larger diameter one. Had replaced the alternater 3 times with a battery each time. Fuel economy is about 19 mpg average. Car rides like a dream and power is great. Anti-lock brakes and AC does not work and too costly to repair.

A Good Product
By Satisfied Gal on 01/28/05 20:06 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Purchased my Z34 new in torch red with charcoal leather seats and practically everything available on it. Feed it regular gas and synthetic oil with regular non-extravagent routine preventive maintenance. The Front wheel drive and large tires give outstanding control in snow. The Z34 Monte is most reliable car have had yet. Comfortable & attractive,everyone notices it -- not always a good thing! At 118K miles reliability degraded & a few quirky, not so small repairs started. Transmission hiccupped at 129K miles then at 140K miles. Cost some money to fix. Would get a Chevy again if could find a caring mechanic. Curious to see how long this car will last--was a good buy.

WoW! Exceeded Expectations
By Mamahoot on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Bought the car 9/97 off the showroom floor and it now has 200,000 miles. I am a sales rep and travel many a mile in my Z34. I love the power of the engine and the gas mileage is great. I have had no issues with the car. I feel it is time to retire the car because of the mileage but feel it still has many miles yet to come. The tires that come on the car are superb - I have only had to replace the tires twice in the 200,000 miles.