Used 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Monte-carlo - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Reliable, and Lots of Fun!
By roman238

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I no longer own this car, but I felt it deserved my review. Bought this car used in 2002 with 23,000 miles on her. At the time it was overall the best car I had ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. At 34k the rear seals went bad, (a common problem with the 3100 that year). At about 45k I replaced the brakes. The muffler cracked at 60k...replaced that. The gas tank at 64k and the water pump at 85k. I put new tires on when I first bought her, and they passed inspection in May 2012. Other than those repairs, all I did was change the oil and rotate the tires. In Nov. of 2012, I traded the old girl in on a 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 with only 45k which I will review as well. The best car I ever had!

Favorite Features

I bought this car loaded with every feature available at that time. Leather, cd player, power everything, sunroof, AC, huge trunk, etc. A whole bunch of little things went wrong over the years, but nothing would stop this car from going, day after day, mile after mile. I loved driving this automobile! In spite of the flaws, I loved this car so much that when I finally traded her in, I felt like I had lost a friend.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the interior items could have been improved upon. The glove box broke after a couple of years, the center console cover too. A few trim screws popped here and there, the AC went (I didn't bother fixing it), I changed the battery and realized the placement was not friendly to a back yard mechanic. The frame for the sunroof loosened up and I quit using the slider after that because the repair was so involved. Still, overall she was the best car I've ever owned.

Monte Carlo, Reliable for the price!
By NawlinsNative

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

Purchased in September, 2000, it has less than 25K miles on it. Other than maintenance, it has been perfect. Ten years of reliability. Will be soon passed on to our son in college in another state. We trust its reliability. The 3.1L still gets close to 30 mpg on hwy, 20 city. Just traveled to Ohio a few months ago. Smooth ride. Recommend this car for its value.

Favorite Features

Reliable with nice performance, power when needed, and decent gas mileage for a car with 140K. Inexpensive to maintain

Suggested Improvements

When designed, the front end wasn't so attractive. Sides looks sporty.

Decent
By Wade

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I love driving this thing! However I have had major issues, alternator went once and nearly killed me the way it went off. I have also replaced the controls arms for three wheels. It gets really good mileage on the HW (nearly 30 most of the time) and around 18 for daily around the town use. I've also had issues with the brakes but nothing major. Good car for the price and after reading other reviews my experience seems to be an outlier. I love driving it though and I would be another if it came along.

Favorite Features

Sound system is very good, good mileage, fun drive

10 years and going
By Alan

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

Never thought I would love a Chevy. Have my Monte for 10 years and 140k. Always reliable & comfortable. Usual repairs and maintenance and nothing too expensive. The one bother is the lights on the radio panel have gone out which makes the dash a bit less attractive. Impressed with GM, bought a Trailblazer and love that too.

Durable
By sbbarnes

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I purchased my Monte Carlo from my uncle who bought it new. It had a few minor oil leaks and some transmission leaks. It was easily fixed and now it currently has over 225,000 miles. Not one spot of rust, though some stone pecks. The doors haven't dropped at all. It is just as quiet as ever. This one has the 3100 engine. No problems yet. Though the gas mileage isn't as good. I average 24-27 mostly highway.

Favorite Features

It still goes. No hesitation after 225000 miles. Plenty of acceleration. It feels like it leans into the wind. Plenty of go power when you need it.

Suggested Improvements

The doors are way too long. If you park next to another car you have to contort your body to get out of the car. Trunk space could be improved. Also this car in not pretty.