1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Best car I ever owned.
By chevylover333 on 02/14/14 18:00 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Here is a list of all the things I have replaced on this car. Both front hub assemblies, right front brake caliper, fuel pump and lower intake manifold gaskets because the oil and coolant were mixing. Things that currently don't work are sun roof, air conditioning (due to leak in line going into the condensor) and brake lights only work when pulling back on turn signal while braking. I think that is a really good track record for a car that has 235k on it and counting! The transmission and engine are in excellent condition even though Im pretty sure the transmission fluid has only been changed once. Its the wifes car and I took over maintenance at 150k and I know it hasn't been changed since

Reliable, and Lots of Fun!
By roman238 on 01/14/13 00:18 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I no longer own this car, but I felt it deserved my review. Bought this car used in 2002 with 23,000 miles on her. At the time it was overall the best car I had ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. At 34k the rear seals went bad, (a common problem with the 3100 that year). At about 45k I replaced the brakes. The muffler cracked at 60k...replaced that. The gas tank at 64k and the water pump at 85k. I put new tires on when I first bought her, and they passed inspection in May 2012. Other than those repairs, all I did was change the oil and rotate the tires. In Nov. of 2012, I traded the old girl in on a 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 with only 45k which I will review as well. The best car I ever had!

Monte Carlo, Reliable for the price!
By NawlinsNative on 01/22/10 06:44 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

Purchased in September, 2000, it has less than 25K miles on it. Other than maintenance, it has been perfect. Ten years of reliability. Will be soon passed on to our son in college in another state. We trust its reliability. The 3.1L still gets close to 30 mpg on hwy, 20 city. Just traveled to Ohio a few months ago. Smooth ride. Recommend this car for its value.

Decent
By Wade on 06/19/09 13:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I love driving this thing! However I have had major issues, alternator went once and nearly killed me the way it went off. I have also replaced the controls arms for three wheels. It gets really good mileage on the HW (nearly 30 most of the time) and around 18 for daily around the town use. I've also had issues with the brakes but nothing major. Good car for the price and after reading other reviews my experience seems to be an outlier. I love driving it though and I would be another if it came along.

10 years and going
By Alan on 09/03/08 19:23 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

Never thought I would love a Chevy. Have my Monte for 10 years and 140k. Always reliable & comfortable. Usual repairs and maintenance and nothing too expensive. The one bother is the lights on the radio panel have gone out which makes the dash a bit less attractive. Impressed with GM, bought a Trailblazer and love that too.

210,000 miles!
By Logan on 08/04/08 14:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

At 210,000 miles this thing is still driving great. God bless the 3.8! I have repaired a waterpump, replaced one battery and a starter. The most expensive repair was around 75 dollars and a couple hours of labor. I'll change the oil every 4 to 6 thousand miles and keep an eye on my brakes for maintanence and change out my air filter every 15,000 miles. If you rode in this car you would never guess that it has driven over 200 thousand miles and eaten through 3 sets of tires. Anyway, great car and better motor!

Monte Carlo!
By blake on 03/17/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

i have had this monte for 2 years and I put a lot of work into it. I upgraded some parts to performance. air intake, rims, tinted windows, performance chip, painted calipers. Chevy is easy to handle, maintain, easy to replace everything. I get about 17 gallons per gallons tho, and its bad since the gas prices are right now!

Good Car
By Jared on 07/23/06 23:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Great all around car to have. I bought it with 97,000 miles a year ago. It had a few problems right away with the directional switch, but the dealer fixed it. Then it had a problem with the starter, but my warranty covered it. Besides that it is quite solid, and the engine purrs the way it did when it was brand new I'm sure. I have no big complaints because all other problems are minor. The hinge on the storage compartment on mine broke too, and the transmission doesn't seem to grip right away when it's shifted into park (it coasts a bit and then snaps to a rest pretty hard). Also, the gas mileage isn't great on mine (22 mpg) average, but I'm buying some upgrades to improve that.

Durable
By sbbarnes on 02/17/06 17:13 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I purchased my Monte Carlo from my uncle who bought it new. It had a few minor oil leaks and some transmission leaks. It was easily fixed and now it currently has over 225,000 miles. Not one spot of rust, though some stone pecks. The doors haven't dropped at all. It is just as quiet as ever. This one has the 3100 engine. No problems yet. Though the gas mileage isn't as good. I average 24-27 mostly highway.

I Love My Monte
By Patricia Engelbrecht on 11/09/05 11:26 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I believe something happened to my car before I bought it...the front seats are NOT right. The time I asked them to be checked I was told they were normal...but I have checked other 1998 Monte Carlos and they are better. My husband is a big guy and he does not have much room. Besides this problem, I love my Monte Carlo. (I owned a 1985 Monte Carlo before I bought the 1998.)

1 2 3 4 5 next »