1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Problem Car
By Kar O on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1997 Monte Carlo Z34 brand new and loved it for one year. After one year it has had nothing but problems with misfiring. It has had 4 set of wire & plugs, fuel injectors, coils and modules, many other things replaced,diagnostics up the ying yang. At least 15 times back and forth to the dealer and no fixes yet. Still today runs horrible and the engine light makes a good night light. I will never buy a chevrolet again nor go to the above dealer ever, ever again.

MONEYPIT!!!!
By BadMonte on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

This is a beautiful car. Leather interior, roomy, handles nice. Not so great with gas and it is WAY TO EXPENSIVE TO FIX!!!! If you like having Mechanics guessing on what the problems are even after Diagnostics are preformed and willing to pay $5,000 to replace your 3.4L Engine and Transmission all to ride around in a beautiful Monte Z34, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.

The comfort and look you want.
By margiej on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

Overall, I love this car. It has plenty of room and plenty of luxury with the look I want. I'm only 20 years old and most people at my age seem to think my car is too big, but it's safe, fun, comfortable, and looks great. It could use a couple of improvement, but I haven't had any serious problems with anything.

Garbage, Plain and Simple
By J.A.N. on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

Problems I have and continue to have: Fuel Injectors Replaced - twice, three times in cylinder #3 Power Control Module replaced Oxygen Sensor replaced Spark Plugs/Wires replaced - twice Driver's side window track repaired, falling apart again ABS system failing and doesn't work properly Cooling system problems Transmission slips I could go on and on. Save your money people and don't buy a new one or a used one. These cars are unreliable pieces of junk. Problem after problem. GM should be ashamed to offer this vehicle for sale to the American public.

Good overall car
By kcrenn on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I recently purchased a used monte carlo. Its a very nice reliable car. The gas mileage is great and the interior is classy. The only problem I had was a bad fuel injector which is pretty minor. I reccomend this car for anyone who wants a practical coupe thats good for short and long runs.