Used 1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Monte-carlo - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Chevy lover turning a new leaf??
By G

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

The most expensive and newest car I ever bought lasted the shortest amount of time. Mechanics have refused to work on the nightmare motor. Got offered $500 trade in a couple months ago. Replaced motor, fuel pump, water pump, timing belt twice, thermostat (still over heats), altenator, the back brakes cannot be fixed, tried too many times to count. Strut broken and tranny is weak. Had power when it was still good, but I'm lucky to get 22 MPG now. Only 130K on motor too.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior, stylish exterior, power

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder, new motor design

Great car/Though requires maintenance
By kalicoast

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I really like the Monte Carlo Z34's performance. The 3.4-Liter V6 engine is great and with the Z34 you get that extra umph. I'd say performance wise, on curvey roads, it can turn better than your average car. I find as the person who drives the care 98% of the time that it is extremely comfortable to sit in and relax on long trips. It's very spacious although if your over 6 feet the roof can get kind of low in a hurry. Then after about 5 years of life into the car you start up yearly maintenance and it's not the cheap stuff. I've gotten the brakes completely done twice, lower intake manifold gasket, the entire muffler(s) ($500), driver/passenger windows, moonroof(read below), AC($200)twice.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature was the moonroof but unfortunaely that broke in 2006 and is too pricey to replace. I also enjoy the daytime running lights, cd player, controls(cruise, heat, ect). Probably the best part of owning the car is the compliments on I receive on the great asthetics: style, paint, ect..

Suggested Improvements

As I have said above its a great looking and sporty car but it does come with headaches. If you can deal with the yearly maintenace then its a great car becuase all your friends and family will enjoy riding in it. Also great for road trips but wish the fuel economy was higher(18 street/23 highway)

Love My Monte
By wingsrstanley

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I have owned my 97 Monte Carlo for over a year now. I have put over 65,000 miles on it, and have had no problems at all. I get 27 mpg on the highways and about 23.5 mpg on back roads. There are days were I am in the car all day long, and enjoy the comfort of the car. I am glad that I found this car.

Favorite Features

The car is a very comfortable car to drive. Love the fact that I am getting 27 mpg, and that I have 150,000 miles on the car.

Suggested Improvements

The spark plugs need to be easier to change. It cost me over $200 to have a shop change them for me, because I could not get to them myself.

Wife's Baby
By BobbyD

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Overall, this auto has grown attatched to my wife and I. Although I have to replace something or repair something each year at least once in the shop. It is better than paying a big price for a new car!!! I have enjoyed driving it every now and then if my wife lets me. I bought this car for her for Easter. She really loves it.

Favorite Features

Get Up and GO! Moon Roof. Miles Per Gallon. Comfortable in the front seat! Ride. The whistles and bells (still like new)

Suggested Improvements

3800 engine or the new V8.

Best car I ever had
By mjkanejd

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

This car has been a pleasure to own and drive. The 3.4L is strong, reliable and well engineered. Other than replacing the alternator at 75,000 miles, I have never had to put a dollar into it other than routine maintanence (Plugs, Oil changes, air filter etc.). I just replace the timing belt at 82,000 (recommended at 60,000) and it showed very little wear. I do all maintanence myself and it is relatively to work on. The only negative is the standard sound system. Pretty pathetic if you are an audiophile.

Favorite Features

Leather interior, dash layout

Suggested Improvements

Second Coffee cup holder. Better sound system.