1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
1997 Monte Carlo LS
By 1997_ on 01/15/14 14:39 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

Our monte carlo was purchased brand new in January of 97. 250,000 miles and 4 family members later, all that its needed is a head gasket, an alternator, and regular mantinence. It's a great car for long trips, in town, and as a highschool car.

Nice car, but ...
By ChelseaMadrox on 08/26/10 06:05 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

This was the first car that I got after I got my license a year and a half ago. It lasted until this week when it literally BLEW a plug and became unfixable. I replaced the brakes once and it needed a new control arm after 185K miles. The interior dash lights and windows also went out, but the window fixed itself. Overall, I'm very satisfied with it. Good acceleration and steering. I would have loved to have driven it when it first came out!

Good for young drivers
By ericnelson on 08/17/10 19:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I got this car about a year ago with 155K on it. It now has 166K and is still running pretty strong. It always starts right up, I haven't had to do anything to it except the regular oil change. However its very slow for being a "sporty" 2-door. Also there is one cup holder for five seats and it breaks easily so i don't even use it anymore. Overall i would give this car a 5 out of 10.

It's Ok
By Randaaall!!! on 07/24/10 14:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I purchased mine 3 yrs ago. It's been an ok car, but has had it's share of problems. First of all, the 2 middle injectors gave ma A LOT of grief in the beginning. The computer NEVER reads the EGR valve correctly, which keeps the service engine light on continuously. Injector replacements are not cheap, and i have replaced the egr valve and installed the recommended screen over the port. I still cannot figure out how to get the drum off the rear brakes, and have tried multiple times. I am now starting to have multiple electrical problems, and don't think the car is worth fixing at this point. I love the room in the car, and like the style of it a lot. The gas mileage in my opinion isn't good.

Comfortable, Roomy, Reliable, Safe
By maxp on 12/20/09 00:15 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

Not a car that is going to burn up a race track, but acceleration and road holding is fine for everyday situations. The roomy interior, smooth and quiet V6 engine, supple ride quality, and light steering make the Monte a very comfortable car that is a nice place to spend time in. Great for long freeway trips and relaxed cruising. Fuel economy is good on the freeway for a car this large (~27 MPG) but not impressive in the city (less than 20). 3.1 and 3.8 liter engines have good reliability, but avoid the 1995-1997 Z34 models as their 3.4 liter is expensive to fix. I've driven a lot of cars, and the interior design and controls are among the simplest and easiest to use of any car I've been in.

Great Buy
By bec10 on 05/07/09 08:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought my Monte Carlo five years ago; it's been a great car. I've noticed that the people that are giving this car negative reviews are the owners of the Z34, which explains a lot. When I was shopping, I was warned not to buy the Z34 due to its bad reputation. The 3.1 liter engine in the LS is the way to go if you are shopping. My car now has 170,000 miles on it, and I've only replaced the alternator (at 160,000 miles) and had standard maintenance done. That is exceptional for a car 12 years old, and I highly recommend this car, especially if it is your first. Notice that overall, most people's complaints are about minor things, such as the cupholder.

I Love This Car!
By Glenda on 12/11/08 20:54 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I spotted my Monte Carlo on the lot just after it rolled off the truck & bought it the same day! I've had it for almost 13 years & enjoy driving it just as much today as I did when it was brand new. It's big enough that I feel safe in it, it's very comfortable, all my friends comment on what a smooth riding car it is & can't believe it's still on the road after all these years. Plus, it still gets 25MPG highway miles! I've upgraded the stereo & speakers,it's had normal wear & tear but it's never needed any major repairs plus the oil's changed every 3000 miles. I've bought a new car for road trips but continue to drive the MC to work daily, 50miles. I'll drive it til the wheels fall off!

My Monte Carlo
By dcrookbigpat on 05/23/08 10:56 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

The car has ran great since I owned it. It doesn't take hits well but is still reliable. It is easy to work on. The fuel economy could be a lot better and it would be nice if it was rear wheel drive like the 80's Monte Carlo. Overall this car is great

Chevy lover turning a new leaf??
By G on 03/09/08 14:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

The most expensive and newest car I ever bought lasted the shortest amount of time. Mechanics have refused to work on the nightmare motor. Got offered $500 trade in a couple months ago. Replaced motor, fuel pump, water pump, timing belt twice, thermostat (still over heats), altenator, the back brakes cannot be fixed, tried too many times to count. Strut broken and tranny is weak. Had power when it was still good, but I'm lucky to get 22 MPG now. Only 130K on motor too.

Indestructable
By jeff on 01/04/08 19:29 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

This car is great. I bought it with 130,000 miles on it. I have no garage, so it stayed outside. There'd be a Nor eastern, and 3 feet of snow and ice would get dumped on it. I'd be lazy and leave it that way for a few days till I had to use it; just clean it off and it'd start right up, first time. The only trouble I had w/ it was the gas tank needed replacement, as the salt from the roads rotted a whole in it. Just the other day, a deer ran headlong into the side of it when I was driving. Broke the headlight and the fender pretty bad, smashed its head on the hood; car kept going like nothing happened. It's big front end makes parking a lil tricky at first. The doors are quite heavy too.