1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Chevy lover turning a new leaf??
By G on 03/09/08 14:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

The most expensive and newest car I ever bought lasted the shortest amount of time. Mechanics have refused to work on the nightmare motor. Got offered $500 trade in a couple months ago. Replaced motor, fuel pump, water pump, timing belt twice, thermostat (still over heats), altenator, the back brakes cannot be fixed, tried too many times to count. Strut broken and tranny is weak. Had power when it was still good, but I'm lucky to get 22 MPG now. Only 130K on motor too.

Great car/Though requires maintenance
By kalicoast on 12/13/07 21:02 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I really like the Monte Carlo Z34's performance. The 3.4-Liter V6 engine is great and with the Z34 you get that extra umph. I'd say performance wise, on curvey roads, it can turn better than your average car. I find as the person who drives the care 98% of the time that it is extremely comfortable to sit in and relax on long trips. It's very spacious although if your over 6 feet the roof can get kind of low in a hurry. Then after about 5 years of life into the car you start up yearly maintenance and it's not the cheap stuff. I've gotten the brakes completely done twice, lower intake manifold gasket, the entire muffler(s) ($500), driver/passenger windows, moonroof(read below), AC($200)twice.

Love My Monte
By wingsrstanley on 08/10/07 12:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I have owned my 97 Monte Carlo for over a year now. I have put over 65,000 miles on it, and have had no problems at all. I get 27 mpg on the highways and about 23.5 mpg on back roads. There are days were I am in the car all day long, and enjoy the comfort of the car. I am glad that I found this car.

Wife's Baby
By BobbyD on 02/24/06 05:11 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Overall, this auto has grown attatched to my wife and I. Although I have to replace something or repair something each year at least once in the shop. It is better than paying a big price for a new car!!! I have enjoyed driving it every now and then if my wife lets me. I bought this car for her for Easter. She really loves it.

Best car I ever had
By mjkanejd on 11/24/04 09:37 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

This car has been a pleasure to own and drive. The 3.4L is strong, reliable and well engineered. Other than replacing the alternator at 75,000 miles, I have never had to put a dollar into it other than routine maintanence (Plugs, Oil changes, air filter etc.). I just replace the timing belt at 82,000 (recommended at 60,000) and it showed very little wear. I do all maintanence myself and it is relatively to work on. The only negative is the standard sound system. Pretty pathetic if you are an audiophile.

pleased
By BobbyD on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Have had few problems with car. My wife drives it more than I do. She said she will never get rid of it!

Still gets 34MPG !!
By Jonson7118 on 10/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

This car just turned over 100000 miles and I am still getting 34 mpg and the performance of a new car!

Great Car!!
By p311 on 09/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

This is my first car and I Love it. It took a little bit of cash to get it up to speed but Im in love with the car and highly recommend it.

No problems first 5 years
By charliep on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I bought mine new in 1998, and five years later am still pleased with my $20,000 investment. I've only had a couple of minor problems that you'd expect from any car. I plan to keep it at least 2 more years before I have to trade for a SUV (new baby due soon).

Nice but not really.
By Daniel Haynes on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

When I bought my Z-34, I was excited. After 5,000 miles the transmission started to go. The sunroof stopped working, and the dash lights didn't work. This is a nice car. It looks good and is one of the fastest where I live, even as an automatic. Now, if I fix all of my problems, it will be at least $1,500, and the trade-in is less than $5,000. If you get one, they are nice cars, but have some money saved back.