Used 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Best I've owned
By Donna King

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

We go to the mountains and the winding roads are something else. I have to say my car takes curves awesome. It has to be the best thing I've driven that hugs the curves so well, and the braking system is awesome too

Favorite Features

The style of the car itself is just what I have wanted. It's sleek and stylish for a 96 model, and it looks as good as the newer ones in my opinon.

Suggested Improvements

If it had had a CD player insted of cassette. Otherwise I am totally satisfied with my car

Not worth it
By Go Navy

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I honestly don't know who Chevy was trying to fool. They bring back the Monte Carlo with only a 6 cylinder and FWD. This is not the Carlo of old. The V-6 is lacking in the acceleration department due to the excessive curbweight. For an upgraded performance package the Z34 offers little more than four-wheel disc brakes. The interior falls apart easily, while the engine is a pain to work on. Hiding the battery under the washer fluid makes it a joke. The steering is alright although the turning radius is terrible and handling is typical American making hard cornering a pain.

Favorite Features

Four-Wheel disc brakes, the fact it was a gift to me so I didn't actually pay money for it

Suggested Improvements

LOL, a V-8 RWD, stiffer suspension, an actual workable engine, better material quality

Best used car purchse to date
By TEEGEE

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

The Chevy Monte Carlo was by far the most comfortable, quietest and best handling car of the cars I tested. The interior is well equiped, (it could use another cup holder and a place for sun glasses) the leather supple, the instrument cluster easy to see. The steering is tight and has a well defined feeling to it. The ride is quieter than the Toyota. Acceleration is a bit on the slow side from zero to sixty. The transaxle shifts very smoothly; the ride is soft not spongy. Rear headroom is limited to those over six-feet tall. The fold down rear seating is a nice feature. Of the used cars I have owned this is the best.

Favorite Features

Four wheel disc brakes, sixteen inch alloy wheels, leather seating, 3.4 V- six power.

Suggested Improvements

More rear headroom, additional cupholders, a place for sunglasses.

this car is a piece...
By ihatemyZ34

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

this car is an unbelieveable piece of crap, which is unlikey for GM... i take care of the car as if it were my child and it still betrays me... alternator shot three times, air pump twice, location on both is moronic (under engine and behind front right wheel well)... get about 20 MPG...

Favorite Features

just the stereo and the buttons on the steering wheel... thats it...

Suggested Improvements

recall all of them and burn them...

Awesome car--looks and performance wise!
By blmackin

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I absolutly love my car. It's sporty looking and even though it is 8 years old, it still turns heads and people compliment me on it almost weekly. It's comfortable to drive and has all the features you could want. I put alot of miles on this vehicle and have had minimal problems. The only drawback to this vehicle is that if you have a problem with it..it's expensive to fix.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Make the engine a little easier to work on.