Used 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Nice Car
By Jack

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

This car was and still is my first car. It is extremely reliable and gets great gas mileage, especially for its age. The interior has a great feel to it and is very comfortable. It is a good looking car especially with added touches. Handles nicely but is nothing close to s ports car. Great first car as it was meant to keep me and my lead foot out of trouble. Steering wheel radio controls nice although it needs a CD player. Only problem is the car seems sluggish of the line and especially up hills, however compared to all the good that is no major problem.

I like the steering wheel controls and the relibilty of the car. Very little has gone wrong with it. Great looking car inside and out. Controls also easy to follow. Once again just very reliable.

Like everything about the car except it does not have enough power. Sluggish out of the hole and needs extra gas going up hills. Could use a nice small block V8.

Little Red Z34
By Chad

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Bought the car 2 years ago and really have no complaints. I find the performance of the 3.4L Engine very nice for a 11 year old car. Mileage is about 27 HWY and 19-21 city. The keyless entry is such a nice thing to have (again on a 10 year old car). Power windows and locks, good stereo system. I find the front seats very comfortable with the power seats. I've only sat in the back once and found it to be acceptably comfortable (I'm 6'2 225 LBS). Leather seats are showing no signs of wear. Exterior is amazing. When purchased with 85,000 MI there were no rust spots or chips. People always think the car is newer than what it is. I have an aftermarket spoiler with LED tailamp (not boyracer showy)

When I had the original stereo (CD's stopped playing) the controls on the steering wheel were awsome. The engine's performace, I love. The cars suspension handles very nicely. ABS with disc brakes. Frong wheel drive car, have never gotten stuck in the snow (live in upper WI). Nice car but repairs are expensive.

I seem to be constantly fixing this car. I so far have replaced front/rear brake rotors, rear shocks and struts, engine mounts, it leaked a small amount of oil but cost alot $$$ to fix, Timing belt ($650), Power window motor, Window mounts and seals, new CD player, Spark plugs (more $ than you think)

I Love My Monte!
By Anra

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought my Monte 2.5 years ago with 70,000miles. It now has 102k and other than regular maintenance and 1 battery my Monte has been wonderful to me. Best luck I have had buying a used car. It has run solid and still does. I am getting ready to sell it and I will miss it terrible. Only reason I'm selling is I now have a company car and don't need to pay to kep it on road. I am surprised to hear all the bad. This car has been reliable, and fun to drive. I would definitely buy one again. Also I must have been lucky, mine has 2 cup holders. One folds out of armrest other pulls out under radio console. '96 Monte is a good solid car!

Love the style. Factory speakers are awesome. I installed a cd player and kept the factory speakers in, almost sounds like I put a system in it. V6 power

Car can be difficult to get into and out of especially backseat. Big doors make it hard to get out of car in tight spaces

Good does not outwiegh bad
By acerfan

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

Mechanically has been decent, no major repairs. Trunk is very roomy and with the fold-down back seats you can fit a lot in this car. Clearance is way too low, and long doors make tight parking spaces impossible to fit in (if you actually want to get out of the vehicle). One cup holder is not enough. Battery is impossible to get to, being under a support bar and the washer fluid tank. The turning radius of this car is the worst of anything post-90's I have ever driven.

Dual-climate control works very well to keep driver and passenger both happy. Car sticks to road and makes it easy to drive on curvy roads.

As mentioned above, plus things mentioned by other reviewers such as exposed weather stripping.

Exception to The Rule?
By Monte Carlo Z-34

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Overall a good purchase but expensive to maintain. Comfortable driver compartment but tight for rear passengers. A joy to drive and, contrary to others experience, I've enjoyed good fuel economy, e.g., 28 mph highway and 21 in city. Black exterior/interior and styling (with rear spoiler)is catching and appealing. Just turned 336,000 miles - yes, that's over a third of a million. Have, other than continuous service, replaced the timing belt at 300,000 miles and transmission at 320,000. Have serviced car at dealership over 50 times in the 8 yrs of ownership. Expect to sell for $3,000 in spring of 2006.

Dashboard concept is simple and clear with radio/CD controls on steering wheel. Exterior styling is impressive and heater/AC controls within reach and easy to adjust. Cornering is good, brakes acceptable (4-disks). Spacious trunk.

Redesign engine compartment to provide access for mechanics. SES light a constant headache. Cruise control inconsistent on hills - perhaps due to excessive miles. Otherwise and while expensive to operate and service I've no substantial suggestions as this vehicle, I believe, has been retired.