1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
My new old car
By Shay on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I just purchased my Z34 in Feb and have nothing but problems since then. Oil leaks, window motor, thermostat, vaccum hoses, edmissions problems, timing belt. You name it. Now I've got tranny problems. I'm at my wits ends with this car. It only has 71,000 miles on it. I don't want to see it 100,000.

96 Monte Carlo Z34
By DBedo on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Roomy comfortable ride with good acceleration. The 1996 3.4 liter engine was poorly designed. Alternator on the bottom of engine which is pricey to fix and common to go bad in colder climates, especially hard winters. Tune ups require removing the upper plentum and igntion system (coils and ECM) Not an easy vehicle to troubleshoot vacuum related problems. Good car when it is running well but sluggish with vacuum problems due to it heavy design.

Questionable at Best
By Lars_220 on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

Any consumers that are considering buying a Monte Carlo between 1995 - 1999 should strongly reconsider. I didn't know until after I bought it that they got such poor reviews. Mechanically, the car is horrible. In the almost 4 years that I have had it, I have put in over 5000 dollars into the car. Major engine and transmission problems were a large portion of that money.

SAD ITS FOR SALE
By MONTE on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

PURCHASED AT 30K ON THE CLOCK AND NOW TICKING 113K NEVER HAD IT IN THE SHOP FOR ANY REPAIRS ONLY ROUTINE MAINTANANCE DONE BY MYSELF 1 SET OF TIRES, FRONT BREAKS,5000 MILE OIL CHANGES, 87 OCTANE FUEL,& 19 MPG YOU CANT GO WRONG,THIS CAR WAS BRACKET RACING 2002 AT RT 66 JOLIET IT WAS NOT VERY CONSISTANT GOT FASTER WHEN IT WAS HUMID BUT NOW IT MUST BE SOLD TO MAKE ROOM FOR 1937 CHEVY COUPE AND BABY SURE WILL MISS THIS CAR

Great
By ASR on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I bought htis for my first car this is a great car it's reliable and gets great gas milage it's also good for people w/ long legs

INTIMIDATOR'S REVIEW
By detluv313 on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Well I bought my car in June of 2000. 1- week later I had to take it back because of the vacuum lines. The fuel system is funny you can only put certain types of gas in it. It took my grandfather and myself 3 days to tune the car up, then to find out a day later the plugs and wires were recalled. other than that and replacing a water pump at 62K the car hasnt been to much of a burden. although I think that if you dont keep up the 3.4 with regular service, it will cost you in the end. also the brakes are weak after i leave out of the car wash.

Good Value Car
By MonteCarlo31 on 10/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

This car has been a good car, recieved it when I was 16 (sat for a year before anyone drove it) now 22 and 155,000 miles on the clock. Only had one alt go out. This car is NOT babied and still runs well, friends with hondas even say how nice it is for the mileage it has. Wish it had a bigger back seat.

Disappointment
By benz2btm on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Starts rough, engine dies when warm and must be re-started, moonroof stuck open with no manual close and/or listing as to motor location.

Love Hate Relationship
By JoeG610 on 05/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Fell in love with this car the day we test drove it. The style, and the power were what we were looking for, but, unfortunately we outgrew it quick, having to put 2 children in the back. Bought the car with 60,000 miles on it. Needed a tune-up at about 100,000 miles and it WAS NOT CHEAP! Alternator went shortly after... but guess where it is located... on the bottom of the engine behind all of the steering components! We are looking into getting a more practical car for the family, but, we are having a hard time parting with this car. Very fun to drive. All of the other reviews hit the nail on the head.

Lots of problems
By Love it and hate it on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Recall on the spark plugs. Just recently a recall on the emissions. You can get these fixed at any Cheverolet dealership. I have had four altenator's. Not cheap to fix but husband is a mechanic and saved me $400 in labor charges. I love the car but it has really been a headache. Also replaced the air conditioner and the fuel pump.