1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Best car I ever owned
By honestabe48 on 01/31/11 02:48 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I've had this car going on 15 years now, bought it when it was brand new in 1996. It has 119,000+ miles on it now and still runs like a champ. I've done minor maintanance on it that I think one should do on every car at 7-10years old. It has a new Alternator, starter, fuel pump, radiator hoses, thermostat and tires (factory tires lasted 10 years). The air conditioner did go out at about the 10 year mark so that is the only real MAJOR repair I have to do. Of course the usual thing with power windows happened and I had to replace the motor in the drivers side TWICE! I think general maintanance is key to survival of every car. I keep the oild changed twice a year.

My first car!
By CAE on 08/17/10 18:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

My mom and dad bought this car hoping it would last me through college. Boy oh boy! We bought this car used for $17,000 (it was one year old). It had 22,000 miles on it as it had been a rental car. My dad was very weary, but I couldn't resist the bright red paint and spoiler. Once the windows were tinted and 17" rims were on it was a hot car! Now, 10 years later my first (and only) car just turned over 200,000 miles. I have really loved driving this car. It handles great, but repairs are never cheap (usually due to labor costs). Proper maintenance is key to this car's longevity. The paint is still shiny and the interior still has plenty of wear left on it.

My Monte carlo
By Monte96 on 04/01/09 18:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from a private seller when it had 100,000 miles on it. That was 8 years ago. I bought this car in November and made a trip to from North Carolina to Wisconsin with it in December. Then we also drove it to Florida twice. I have had intake manifold gaskets replaced twice, but luckily my husband did that himself. I had a problem once with an ignition wire broke and we had to tow it to the dealership to get the "code" to know what was wrong, after trying everything we could think of. Overall, I LOVE my Monte Carlo. It has 213,000 miles on it right now. It is also in the body shop because someone hit me. It is a very sturdy car, withstands damage well.

Well worth the cost of maintenance
By thegeneral2 on 04/04/08 18:45 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

This car is fun to drive, handles well in all kinds of weather, with the right tires you can drive to hell and back. Rock solid car. I bought the car with 16,800 miles on it. It had sat for 10 months, first thing hap was the antifreeze line broke, had that fixed by dealer, than drove on a broken spring I didnt know about for 1 month then had it fixed no problem, then tranny was shot 1200. After that no other problems the tranyy whent at 19,800 miles the engine runs like the day it was born. Can't kill it. Now have 24,800 miles on the car. Looks new small scratch on left door my fault had Chevys before mc in 85 always the small things with these cars. Like window switch fuses. Doors creaking

Nice Car
By Jack on 07/14/07 12:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

This car was and still is my first car. It is extremely reliable and gets great gas mileage, especially for its age. The interior has a great feel to it and is very comfortable. It is a good looking car especially with added touches. Handles nicely but is nothing close to s ports car. Great first car as it was meant to keep me and my lead foot out of trouble. Steering wheel radio controls nice although it needs a CD player. Only problem is the car seems sluggish of the line and especially up hills, however compared to all the good that is no major problem.

I Love My Monte!
By Anra on 01/11/07 23:23 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought my Monte 2.5 years ago with 70,000miles. It now has 102k and other than regular maintenance and 1 battery my Monte has been wonderful to me. Best luck I have had buying a used car. It has run solid and still does. I am getting ready to sell it and I will miss it terrible. Only reason I'm selling is I now have a company car and don't need to pay to kep it on road. I am surprised to hear all the bad. This car has been reliable, and fun to drive. I would definitely buy one again. Also I must have been lucky, mine has 2 cup holders. One folds out of armrest other pulls out under radio console. '96 Monte is a good solid car!

Good does not outwiegh bad
By acerfan on 07/05/06 12:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

Mechanically has been decent, no major repairs. Trunk is very roomy and with the fold-down back seats you can fit a lot in this car. Clearance is way too low, and long doors make tight parking spaces impossible to fit in (if you actually want to get out of the vehicle). One cup holder is not enough. Battery is impossible to get to, being under a support bar and the washer fluid tank. The turning radius of this car is the worst of anything post-90's I have ever driven.

Best I've owned
By Donna King on 08/04/05 11:06 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

We go to the mountains and the winding roads are something else. I have to say my car takes curves awesome. It has to be the best thing I've driven that hugs the curves so well, and the braking system is awesome too

Questionable at Best
By Lars_220 on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

Any consumers that are considering buying a Monte Carlo between 1995 - 1999 should strongly reconsider. I didn't know until after I bought it that they got such poor reviews. Mechanically, the car is horrible. In the almost 4 years that I have had it, I have put in over 5000 dollars into the car. Major engine and transmission problems were a large portion of that money.

SAD ITS FOR SALE
By MONTE on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

PURCHASED AT 30K ON THE CLOCK AND NOW TICKING 113K NEVER HAD IT IN THE SHOP FOR ANY REPAIRS ONLY ROUTINE MAINTANANCE DONE BY MYSELF 1 SET OF TIRES, FRONT BREAKS,5000 MILE OIL CHANGES, 87 OCTANE FUEL,& 19 MPG YOU CANT GO WRONG,THIS CAR WAS BRACKET RACING 2002 AT RT 66 JOLIET IT WAS NOT VERY CONSISTANT GOT FASTER WHEN IT WAS HUMID BUT NOW IT MUST BE SOLD TO MAKE ROOM FOR 1937 CHEVY COUPE AND BABY SURE WILL MISS THIS CAR