1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Not a Bad First Car! 96 Z34
By Rick on 12/11/08 11:19 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

This is not a bad first car, I enjoy driving it. It has power for a v6. Nice looking vehicle, and the gas mileage could be better. But I get about 19 mpg. Wish the body and underbody was more stable. So far I have replaced, (tps sensor front and rear struts, strut bushings, oil pan). Transmission is only good for about 80,000 miles. I love the vehicle though, it is worth the 6,000 I paid for it. Bought it at mileage 60,000 miles and now has 145,000 and still strong! Keep fluids up to date, and this vehicle is nice! Bought the car from my father back in 2005, am the second owner! I will never get rid of this vehicle!

Loud Z34
By montez34 on 12/07/08 00:55 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for almost 5 yrs bought with 78,000mi and it has been pretty reliable, it has never left me sitting anywhere. It now has 133,000 mi and a few problems, it doesn't want to shift from 2 to 3 when cold, shifts fine when warm, replaced intake manifold gasket, timing belt, and rotors. I think this car is fun to drive and looks good even with problems. It had Flowmaster mufflers when I bought it and I put a K&N intake on it and Splitfire plugs, mufflers rusted out about a year ago and it's loud as hell now. I think it has held up to my abuse pretty good though and I hope to keep driving it for along time because it's a summer car only now after I bought a truck.

Ehhhh
By 20yearoldcollegeboy on 08/08/08 07:53 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Since owning this car I have had very mixed feelings on it. Bought when I was 16. It gets me around. A great car if you have the money to fix problems which there are a lot! And each problem cost a small fortune to fix. The car handles well, has a nice ride, people always think its newer than it is (body just started showing small rust in two spots),body holds up well (hit three deer at once, insurance fixed, MPG are decent if you baby the throttle (28 hwy)but can dip as low as 14 in city. Engine seems to be stronger at some times than others, can be fast and very stable, quiet at 75-80 hwy. One cupholder for 5 seats? 1-2 downshift is slow! Occassional trouble starting. It's a 12 yr old car

Nice car
By Guy on 05/28/08 15:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Very sporty looking car, but hard to maintain sometimes & I swear that it has the turning radius of a Mack truck! I'd like to get my hands on the guy that designed those disc brakes. I can't keep a set of rotors on this car to save my life! There have been frequent, minor emission systems problems to troubleshoot over the years as well. Getting a tune up is expensive because of the way the engine is laid out. Gas mileage does not appear to be a strong point as well. The car looks great, but try & find a replacement for the rear spoiler brake light bar. I couldn't! Starting & battery system isn't that great either. I'm buying a hydrid next time.

Awesome Car
By Amazing Car on 03/14/08 16:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

This is an amazing car if you don't beat on it, and constantly floor it all the time. Awesome suspension, tune up's every so often, keep the oil changed every 3,000 miles or 3 months, comfort in this car is awesome, interior design is my favorite

Little Red Z34
By Chad on 02/14/07 21:00 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Bought the car 2 years ago and really have no complaints. I find the performance of the 3.4L Engine very nice for a 11 year old car. Mileage is about 27 HWY and 19-21 city. The keyless entry is such a nice thing to have (again on a 10 year old car). Power windows and locks, good stereo system. I find the front seats very comfortable with the power seats. I've only sat in the back once and found it to be acceptably comfortable (I'm 6'2 225 LBS). Leather seats are showing no signs of wear. Exterior is amazing. When purchased with 85,000 MI there were no rust spots or chips. People always think the car is newer than what it is. I have an aftermarket spoiler with LED tailamp (not boyracer showy)

Exception to The Rule?
By Monte Carlo Z-34 on 01/19/06 16:26 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Overall a good purchase but expensive to maintain. Comfortable driver compartment but tight for rear passengers. A joy to drive and, contrary to others experience, I've enjoyed good fuel economy, e.g., 28 mph highway and 21 in city. Black exterior/interior and styling (with rear spoiler)is catching and appealing. Just turned 336,000 miles - yes, that's over a third of a million. Have, other than continuous service, replaced the timing belt at 300,000 miles and transmission at 320,000. Have serviced car at dealership over 50 times in the 8 yrs of ownership. Expect to sell for $3,000 in spring of 2006.

Not worth it
By Go Navy on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I honestly don't know who Chevy was trying to fool. They bring back the Monte Carlo with only a 6 cylinder and FWD. This is not the Carlo of old. The V-6 is lacking in the acceleration department due to the excessive curbweight. For an upgraded performance package the Z34 offers little more than four-wheel disc brakes. The interior falls apart easily, while the engine is a pain to work on. Hiding the battery under the washer fluid makes it a joke. The steering is alright although the turning radius is terrible and handling is typical American making hard cornering a pain.

Best used car purchse to date
By TEEGEE on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

The Chevy Monte Carlo was by far the most comfortable, quietest and best handling car of the cars I tested. The interior is well equiped, (it could use another cup holder and a place for sun glasses) the leather supple, the instrument cluster easy to see. The steering is tight and has a well defined feeling to it. The ride is quieter than the Toyota. Acceleration is a bit on the slow side from zero to sixty. The transaxle shifts very smoothly; the ride is soft not spongy. Rear headroom is limited to those over six-feet tall. The fold down rear seating is a nice feature. Of the used cars I have owned this is the best.

this car is a piece...
By ihatemyZ34 on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

this car is an unbelieveable piece of crap, which is unlikey for GM... i take care of the car as if it were my child and it still betrays me... alternator shot three times, air pump twice, location on both is moronic (under engine and behind front right wheel well)... get about 20 MPG...