Used 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Not a Bad First Car! 96 Z34
By Rick

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

This is not a bad first car, I enjoy driving it. It has power for a v6. Nice looking vehicle, and the gas mileage could be better. But I get about 19 mpg. Wish the body and underbody was more stable. So far I have replaced, (tps sensor front and rear struts, strut bushings, oil pan). Transmission is only good for about 80,000 miles. I love the vehicle though, it is worth the 6,000 I paid for it. Bought it at mileage 60,000 miles and now has 145,000 and still strong! Keep fluids up to date, and this vehicle is nice! Bought the car from my father back in 2005, am the second owner! I will never get rid of this vehicle!

The interior, performance, V6 3.4L!

More stable, more power, FWD? Make it real wheel drive, uses a lot of oil!

Loud Z34
By montez34

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for almost 5 yrs bought with 78,000mi and it has been pretty reliable, it has never left me sitting anywhere. It now has 133,000 mi and a few problems, it doesn't want to shift from 2 to 3 when cold, shifts fine when warm, replaced intake manifold gasket, timing belt, and rotors. I think this car is fun to drive and looks good even with problems. It had Flowmaster mufflers when I bought it and I put a K&N intake on it and Splitfire plugs, mufflers rusted out about a year ago and it's loud as hell now. I think it has held up to my abuse pretty good though and I hope to keep driving it for along time because it's a summer car only now after I bought a truck.

Good power and handling for a 96 interior layout, stereo (still have origional cd player) sound of the high revving v6, good mileage

They should have had a manual as an option and a better auto transmission

Ehhhh
By 20yearoldcollegeboy

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Since owning this car I have had very mixed feelings on it. Bought when I was 16. It gets me around. A great car if you have the money to fix problems which there are a lot! And each problem cost a small fortune to fix. The car handles well, has a nice ride, people always think its newer than it is (body just started showing small rust in two spots),body holds up well (hit three deer at once, insurance fixed, MPG are decent if you baby the throttle (28 hwy)but can dip as low as 14 in city. Engine seems to be stronger at some times than others, can be fast and very stable, quiet at 75-80 hwy. One cupholder for 5 seats? 1-2 downshift is slow! Occassional trouble starting. It's a 12 yr old car

Leather seats. Extrerior styling (great looking car aided by optional spoiler that came from prev. owners), 3.4L engine (when maintained). Keyless entry, ABS disks, power windows. Comfy seats. Leather has held up well in front. Decent room in backseat for adults. AC great (when working), handling

Nice car
By Guy

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Very sporty looking car, but hard to maintain sometimes & I swear that it has the turning radius of a Mack truck! I'd like to get my hands on the guy that designed those disc brakes. I can't keep a set of rotors on this car to save my life! There have been frequent, minor emission systems problems to troubleshoot over the years as well. Getting a tune up is expensive because of the way the engine is laid out. Gas mileage does not appear to be a strong point as well. The car looks great, but try & find a replacement for the rear spoiler brake light bar. I couldn't! Starting & battery system isn't that great either. I'm buying a hydrid next time.

Layout of the interior is pretty good, everything is within reach, especially the steering wheel controls for the radio. It's got a lot of space to store things. The radio increases volume as you accelerate to combat noise.

Better, more reliable braking system & an easier layout for engine work. Better mileage, but you get what you pay for in engine capacity I guess. It's a fast car as is IMO.

Awesome Car
By Amazing Car

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

This is an amazing car if you don't beat on it, and constantly floor it all the time. Awesome suspension, tune up's every so often, keep the oil changed every 3,000 miles or 3 months, comfort in this car is awesome, interior design is my favorite

3.4L DOHC engine, awesome suspension, handling, interior design, exterior design

Don't build the car around the engine. It's way too tight and harder for self- tuneups