Used 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

My first car, worst car.
By erigney

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car myself with the money I had made from my first job. This wasn't even three years ago and I have probably paid for it twice in repairs. New timing chain. New spark plugs -twice. New spark wires- twice. New Catalytic Converter. Cleaned Muffler. New turn signal switch. Ect. This car has been nothing but heartache. I loved it to death at first, but it's sucking me dry. Still trying to sell it.... Would not recommend.

Best car I ever owned
By honestabe48

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I've had this car going on 15 years now, bought it when it was brand new in 1996. It has 119,000+ miles on it now and still runs like a champ. I've done minor maintanance on it that I think one should do on every car at 7-10years old. It has a new Alternator, starter, fuel pump, radiator hoses, thermostat and tires (factory tires lasted 10 years). The air conditioner did go out at about the 10 year mark so that is the only real MAJOR repair I have to do. Of course the usual thing with power windows happened and I had to replace the motor in the drivers side TWICE! I think general maintanance is key to survival of every car. I keep the oild changed twice a year.

Leather bucket seats very comfortable. This car burns NO OIL. 15 years old and not a drop of oil burns out of this baby. I guess keeping the oil changed every 6 months really helps. Great gas mileage in town to work and back at tops 24mpg in the spring/summer, drops to 21-22mpg in the winter due to me warming my car up sometimes before work. Plus it pays not to use fast food WINDOWS and go inside instead of waiting inline and burning fuel. I've had this baby tuned up only once and that after 100,000 miles. Really is best care I ever had or have seen on the road.

How can you improve excellence? You have to expect some repairs in 15 years. This has been the greatest value for what I paid $17,500 in 1996 over 15 years and still going.

My first car!
By CAE

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

My mom and dad bought this car hoping it would last me through college. Boy oh boy! We bought this car used for $17,000 (it was one year old). It had 22,000 miles on it as it had been a rental car. My dad was very weary, but I couldn't resist the bright red paint and spoiler. Once the windows were tinted and 17" rims were on it was a hot car! Now, 10 years later my first (and only) car just turned over 200,000 miles. I have really loved driving this car. It handles great, but repairs are never cheap (usually due to labor costs). Proper maintenance is key to this car's longevity. The paint is still shiny and the interior still has plenty of wear left on it.

great handling/cornering, still gets 25+ mpg on highway

More than one cup holder would be awesome!

My Monte carlo
By Monte96

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from a private seller when it had 100,000 miles on it. That was 8 years ago. I bought this car in November and made a trip to from North Carolina to Wisconsin with it in December. Then we also drove it to Florida twice. I have had intake manifold gaskets replaced twice, but luckily my husband did that himself. I had a problem once with an ignition wire broke and we had to tow it to the dealership to get the "code" to know what was wrong, after trying everything we could think of. Overall, I LOVE my Monte Carlo. It has 213,000 miles on it right now. It is also in the body shop because someone hit me. It is a very sturdy car, withstands damage well.

It is VERY fun to drive, and a comfortable ride. It is roomy. We just like it so much, we just purchased a 1997 Monte Carlo for my husband.

Well worth the cost of maintenance
By thegeneral2

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

This car is fun to drive, handles well in all kinds of weather, with the right tires you can drive to hell and back. Rock solid car. I bought the car with 16,800 miles on it. It had sat for 10 months, first thing hap was the antifreeze line broke, had that fixed by dealer, than drove on a broken spring I didnt know about for 1 month then had it fixed no problem, then tranny was shot 1200. After that no other problems the tranyy whent at 19,800 miles the engine runs like the day it was born. Can't kill it. Now have 24,800 miles on the car. Looks new small scratch on left door my fault had Chevys before mc in 85 always the small things with these cars. Like window switch fuses. Doors creaking

Never will have to worry about getting into a accident, car has so many safety devices. Don't forget this car body is used for police work. In fact the car looks like a statey on the hiway. Real smooth. Plenty of power. Is a lot wider inside you can get to everything!

The back seats are fine and have plenty of room, however there should be a way to turn on the lights from the back just in case you can't find some item or items that happend to fall between the seats