1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
My first car, worst car.
By erigney on 08/12/14 16:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car myself with the money I had made from my first job. This wasn't even three years ago and I have probably paid for it twice in repairs. New timing chain. New spark plugs -twice. New spark wires- twice. New Catalytic Converter. Cleaned Muffler. New turn signal switch. Ect. This car has been nothing but heartache. I loved it to death at first, but it's sucking me dry. Still trying to sell it.... Would not recommend.

Best car I ever owned
By honestabe48 on 01/31/11 02:48 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I've had this car going on 15 years now, bought it when it was brand new in 1996. It has 119,000+ miles on it now and still runs like a champ. I've done minor maintanance on it that I think one should do on every car at 7-10years old. It has a new Alternator, starter, fuel pump, radiator hoses, thermostat and tires (factory tires lasted 10 years). The air conditioner did go out at about the 10 year mark so that is the only real MAJOR repair I have to do. Of course the usual thing with power windows happened and I had to replace the motor in the drivers side TWICE! I think general maintanance is key to survival of every car. I keep the oild changed twice a year.

My first car!
By CAE on 08/17/10 18:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

My mom and dad bought this car hoping it would last me through college. Boy oh boy! We bought this car used for $17,000 (it was one year old). It had 22,000 miles on it as it had been a rental car. My dad was very weary, but I couldn't resist the bright red paint and spoiler. Once the windows were tinted and 17" rims were on it was a hot car! Now, 10 years later my first (and only) car just turned over 200,000 miles. I have really loved driving this car. It handles great, but repairs are never cheap (usually due to labor costs). Proper maintenance is key to this car's longevity. The paint is still shiny and the interior still has plenty of wear left on it.

My Monte carlo
By Monte96 on 04/01/09 18:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from a private seller when it had 100,000 miles on it. That was 8 years ago. I bought this car in November and made a trip to from North Carolina to Wisconsin with it in December. Then we also drove it to Florida twice. I have had intake manifold gaskets replaced twice, but luckily my husband did that himself. I had a problem once with an ignition wire broke and we had to tow it to the dealership to get the "code" to know what was wrong, after trying everything we could think of. Overall, I LOVE my Monte Carlo. It has 213,000 miles on it right now. It is also in the body shop because someone hit me. It is a very sturdy car, withstands damage well.

Not a Bad First Car! 96 Z34
By Rick on 12/11/08 11:19 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

This is not a bad first car, I enjoy driving it. It has power for a v6. Nice looking vehicle, and the gas mileage could be better. But I get about 19 mpg. Wish the body and underbody was more stable. So far I have replaced, (tps sensor front and rear struts, strut bushings, oil pan). Transmission is only good for about 80,000 miles. I love the vehicle though, it is worth the 6,000 I paid for it. Bought it at mileage 60,000 miles and now has 145,000 and still strong! Keep fluids up to date, and this vehicle is nice! Bought the car from my father back in 2005, am the second owner! I will never get rid of this vehicle!

Loud Z34
By montez34 on 12/07/08 00:55 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for almost 5 yrs bought with 78,000mi and it has been pretty reliable, it has never left me sitting anywhere. It now has 133,000 mi and a few problems, it doesn't want to shift from 2 to 3 when cold, shifts fine when warm, replaced intake manifold gasket, timing belt, and rotors. I think this car is fun to drive and looks good even with problems. It had Flowmaster mufflers when I bought it and I put a K&N intake on it and Splitfire plugs, mufflers rusted out about a year ago and it's loud as hell now. I think it has held up to my abuse pretty good though and I hope to keep driving it for along time because it's a summer car only now after I bought a truck.

Ehhhh
By 20yearoldcollegeboy on 08/08/08 07:53 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Since owning this car I have had very mixed feelings on it. Bought when I was 16. It gets me around. A great car if you have the money to fix problems which there are a lot! And each problem cost a small fortune to fix. The car handles well, has a nice ride, people always think its newer than it is (body just started showing small rust in two spots),body holds up well (hit three deer at once, insurance fixed, MPG are decent if you baby the throttle (28 hwy)but can dip as low as 14 in city. Engine seems to be stronger at some times than others, can be fast and very stable, quiet at 75-80 hwy. One cupholder for 5 seats? 1-2 downshift is slow! Occassional trouble starting. It's a 12 yr old car

Nice car
By Guy on 05/28/08 15:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

Very sporty looking car, but hard to maintain sometimes & I swear that it has the turning radius of a Mack truck! I'd like to get my hands on the guy that designed those disc brakes. I can't keep a set of rotors on this car to save my life! There have been frequent, minor emission systems problems to troubleshoot over the years as well. Getting a tune up is expensive because of the way the engine is laid out. Gas mileage does not appear to be a strong point as well. The car looks great, but try & find a replacement for the rear spoiler brake light bar. I couldn't! Starting & battery system isn't that great either. I'm buying a hydrid next time.

Well worth the cost of maintenance
By thegeneral2 on 04/04/08 18:45 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

This car is fun to drive, handles well in all kinds of weather, with the right tires you can drive to hell and back. Rock solid car. I bought the car with 16,800 miles on it. It had sat for 10 months, first thing hap was the antifreeze line broke, had that fixed by dealer, than drove on a broken spring I didnt know about for 1 month then had it fixed no problem, then tranny was shot 1200. After that no other problems the tranyy whent at 19,800 miles the engine runs like the day it was born. Can't kill it. Now have 24,800 miles on the car. Looks new small scratch on left door my fault had Chevys before mc in 85 always the small things with these cars. Like window switch fuses. Doors creaking

Awesome Car
By Amazing Car on 03/14/08 16:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 2dr Coupe

This is an amazing car if you don't beat on it, and constantly floor it all the time. Awesome suspension, tune up's every so often, keep the oil changed every 3,000 miles or 3 months, comfort in this car is awesome, interior design is my favorite