Used 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Sad to let it go
By Tony K.

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I bought my bright red '95 Monte Z34 in 2001 as my second car. It replaced a '73 Plymouth Duster, and although the Duster was a good first car, the Monte spoiled me in comparison. The styling of these cars is sporty enough, without being too flashy. The interior is very comfortable, especially on road trips. These cars were born to cruise, but they can also give you a thrill, especially with the powerful (and sweet-sounding) high- output 3.4 liter V-6 under the hood. The thing that I found the most frustrating (and that turned out to be my car's undoing) was the high prices you'll pay when something breaks. I drove mine for over 9 years, and now she's basically dead. I'll miss her.

Favorite Features

Styling inside and out, ride/handling, definite cruising machine, comfortable interior, sweet high-output V-6, sporty when you want it to be, smooth the rest of the time. Great car when everything works.

Suggested Improvements

Be prepared for high repair costs, even servicing the battery is a pain, transmission won't last very long if you drive it hard on a regular basis. This is a car where you've got to keep up on the maintenance. Mine's dead after 15 years and about 150k miles.

Till Death Do Us Part
By CHRONE

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Have owned this car since 1994. Also had issues with the alternator, which the mechanic said was a design flaw in the Monte where the alternator was located in such a way that it would catch road dust very easily. AC did konk out 2 yrs ago and though the heat works, not having an AC in FLA is just murder. It has 134k miles & still is a fun car to drive. Did I mention that my Monte is all black with black molding and black lettering. After 15 yrs, oil changes every 3k, and not being in the sun for 90% of the time it still has a showroom shine. My nephew who is a diehard Mustang lover said he loved driving the car. If you take care of your car your car will take care of you.

Favorite Features

The six way seat changer. Didn't come with a CD player and if it did the stereo would have been excellent instead of very good. Handling has always been a big plus, hugs the curves without any sway.

Suggested Improvements

Better Gas mileage. Easier access to battery. Better positioning of the alternator.

My Best Friend Monte
By Ruby

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

My Monte Carlo, affectionately named "Monte" is without question, the best car I have ever owned. I drove him off the show room floor in 1995. He was over 300K miles and he is still King of the Road. The only major repair has been a leaky intake manifold gasket. I've replaced the alternator and water pump 1 time. The rest of the work has been regular maintenance like brakes, tires (6 sets) and 4 serpentine belts. The timing belt has never been replaced and most everything else is original. I love him but I know he's not going to last forever and gas prices are on an upward spiral. I don't know if I can live with him being crushed. I'll have to give it some serious thought.

Favorite Features

The engine is unstoppable. Performance is optimum. He looks great and people still stare. The interior is ergonomically designed. He just suits me to a "T". I'd buy another one like him in a heartbeat, if the gas mileage improved.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage and a better intake manifold design are really the only improvements I would make. Other than that, I love him just the way he is.

Awsome car, but can be expensive.
By Lateralus

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for 2 years, and though kind of old when i bought it, its still alive. I love the way this car rides, especially when taking corners. The stock audio was good, but I put a new one in and its awesome. This is a pretty fast car too, without hitting 3000 rpm each gear after a red light, everyone in the other lane is just passing the intersection. My complaint is that the 3.4 liter engine is expensive to repair. Maybe if I wasn't working at a resturaunt at the time I could afford it easier, but when something went wrong it'd take almost all the money I had. It's gotten to the point where I must trade it in on another car where I don't have to keep repairing it.

Favorite Features

The speed, comfortable interior, nice suspension and handling. You can drive for hours in this car and not get tired of it. Plus, it looks great, especialy black with tinted windows. I've gotten many compliments on the cars look. It takes a lot of space to turn around though.

Suggested Improvements

The 3.4L engines can have a seriouse and expensive problem happen to them which requires disassembly of the engine. It happined to me and after parts and labor costed about $1000. My door panels are loose and the doors are very heavy. Also the ball joint disconnected while I was driving, scary.

Total Junk
By Shaun

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Only having the car 2 weeks the transmision gave out, the speedometer along with odometer stoped working, and it has spent more time in the shop than on the road. When I purchaced the car it was said to be in perfect condition. Overall it was a horrible buy.

Favorite Features

The radio controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Pretty much all mechanical aspects of the car.