Used 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Till Death Do Us Part
By CHRONE

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Have owned this car since 1994. Also had issues with the alternator, which the mechanic said was a design flaw in the Monte where the alternator was located in such a way that it would catch road dust very easily. AC did konk out 2 yrs ago and though the heat works, not having an AC in FLA is just murder. It has 134k miles & still is a fun car to drive. Did I mention that my Monte is all black with black molding and black lettering. After 15 yrs, oil changes every 3k, and not being in the sun for 90% of the time it still has a showroom shine. My nephew who is a diehard Mustang lover said he loved driving the car. If you take care of your car your car will take care of you.

Favorite Features

The six way seat changer. Didn't come with a CD player and if it did the stereo would have been excellent instead of very good. Handling has always been a big plus, hugs the curves without any sway.

Suggested Improvements

Better Gas mileage. Easier access to battery. Better positioning of the alternator.

Sad to let it go
By Tony K.

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I bought my bright red '95 Monte Z34 in 2001 as my second car. It replaced a '73 Plymouth Duster, and although the Duster was a good first car, the Monte spoiled me in comparison. The styling of these cars is sporty enough, without being too flashy. The interior is very comfortable, especially on road trips. These cars were born to cruise, but they can also give you a thrill, especially with the powerful (and sweet-sounding) high- output 3.4 liter V-6 under the hood. The thing that I found the most frustrating (and that turned out to be my car's undoing) was the high prices you'll pay when something breaks. I drove mine for over 9 years, and now she's basically dead. I'll miss her.

Favorite Features

Styling inside and out, ride/handling, definite cruising machine, comfortable interior, sweet high-output V-6, sporty when you want it to be, smooth the rest of the time. Great car when everything works.

Suggested Improvements

Be prepared for high repair costs, even servicing the battery is a pain, transmission won't last very long if you drive it hard on a regular basis. This is a car where you've got to keep up on the maintenance. Mine's dead after 15 years and about 150k miles.

Big fan
By irishamerican

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought my Monte LS with just shy of 70k on it and am finally selling it off to afford a vehicle to better accommodate a new addition to my family. I think a good portion of the complaints about this car can be attributed to 1.) people too lazy to fix their own stuff and 2.) this being the first Monte produced when they brought them back. More so 1 than 2. I've taken her on many road trips, and she has always been comfortable to drive for them! To this day she is 15 yrs old and still has the factory ac! Everything in the 90's wasn't user friendly when working under the hood no matter who the manufacturer was.

Favorite Features

Overall the standard 3.1 is a 200k+ 23-24 mpg beast. Plan on 1 tranny job and head gaskets after 100k, but other than that it is a VERY reliable ride. If you take care of her and provide regular maintenance then she will take care of you! Reliable winter driver for Midwest winters!

Suggested Improvements

Better electrical in doors for power windows/locks. Windshield wiper fluid reservoir on top of the battery was a stupid idea.

I Love My Monte Carlo LS
By Monte Carlo <3

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used. It has been a dream to own and drive. In the past year I have repainted. Put high quality tunes in it, along with high end goodyear tires. I drive this car 50+ miles 5 dyas a week sometimes more on weekends and have never regretted owning this gem. The satisfaction I get from driving an American made car is another added bonus. I don't miss my high priced imports one bit.

Favorite Features

Great Handling, Good Performance, Quite Smooth Ride, Classy Style. American Made

Suggested Improvements

Console is weak

My Best Friend Monte
By Ruby

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

My Monte Carlo, affectionately named "Monte" is without question, the best car I have ever owned. I drove him off the show room floor in 1995. He was over 300K miles and he is still King of the Road. The only major repair has been a leaky intake manifold gasket. I've replaced the alternator and water pump 1 time. The rest of the work has been regular maintenance like brakes, tires (6 sets) and 4 serpentine belts. The timing belt has never been replaced and most everything else is original. I love him but I know he's not going to last forever and gas prices are on an upward spiral. I don't know if I can live with him being crushed. I'll have to give it some serious thought.

Favorite Features

The engine is unstoppable. Performance is optimum. He looks great and people still stare. The interior is ergonomically designed. He just suits me to a "T". I'd buy another one like him in a heartbeat, if the gas mileage improved.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage and a better intake manifold design are really the only improvements I would make. Other than that, I love him just the way he is.