1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Big fan
By irishamerican

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought my Monte LS with just shy of 70k on it and am finally selling it off to afford a vehicle to better accommodate a new addition to my family. I think a good portion of the complaints about this car can be attributed to 1.) people too lazy to fix their own stuff and 2.) this being the first Monte produced when they brought them back. More so 1 than 2. I've taken her on many road trips, and she has always been comfortable to drive for them! To this day she is 15 yrs old and still has the factory ac! Everything in the 90's wasn't user friendly when working under the hood no matter who the manufacturer was.

Favorite Features

Overall the standard 3.1 is a 200k+ 23-24 mpg beast. Plan on 1 tranny job and head gaskets after 100k, but other than that it is a VERY reliable ride. If you take care of her and provide regular maintenance then she will take care of you! Reliable winter driver for Midwest winters!

Suggested Improvements

Better electrical in doors for power windows/locks. Windshield wiper fluid reservoir on top of the battery was a stupid idea.

Sad to let it go
By Tony K.

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I bought my bright red '95 Monte Z34 in 2001 as my second car. It replaced a '73 Plymouth Duster, and although the Duster was a good first car, the Monte spoiled me in comparison. The styling of these cars is sporty enough, without being too flashy. The interior is very comfortable, especially on road trips. These cars were born to cruise, but they can also give you a thrill, especially with the powerful (and sweet-sounding) high- output 3.4 liter V-6 under the hood. The thing that I found the most frustrating (and that turned out to be my car's undoing) was the high prices you'll pay when something breaks. I drove mine for over 9 years, and now she's basically dead. I'll miss her.

Favorite Features

Styling inside and out, ride/handling, definite cruising machine, comfortable interior, sweet high-output V-6, sporty when you want it to be, smooth the rest of the time. Great car when everything works.

Suggested Improvements

Be prepared for high repair costs, even servicing the battery is a pain, transmission won't last very long if you drive it hard on a regular basis. This is a car where you've got to keep up on the maintenance. Mine's dead after 15 years and about 150k miles.

Till Death Do Us Part
By CHRONE

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Have owned this car since 1994. Also had issues with the alternator, which the mechanic said was a design flaw in the Monte where the alternator was located in such a way that it would catch road dust very easily. AC did konk out 2 yrs ago and though the heat works, not having an AC in FLA is just murder. It has 134k miles & still is a fun car to drive. Did I mention that my Monte is all black with black molding and black lettering. After 15 yrs, oil changes every 3k, and not being in the sun for 90% of the time it still has a showroom shine. My nephew who is a diehard Mustang lover said he loved driving the car. If you take care of your car your car will take care of you.

Favorite Features

The six way seat changer. Didn't come with a CD player and if it did the stereo would have been excellent instead of very good. Handling has always been a big plus, hugs the curves without any sway.

Suggested Improvements

Better Gas mileage. Easier access to battery. Better positioning of the alternator.

My Best Friend Monte
By Ruby

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

My Monte Carlo, affectionately named "Monte" is without question, the best car I have ever owned. I drove him off the show room floor in 1995. He was over 300K miles and he is still King of the Road. The only major repair has been a leaky intake manifold gasket. I've replaced the alternator and water pump 1 time. The rest of the work has been regular maintenance like brakes, tires (6 sets) and 4 serpentine belts. The timing belt has never been replaced and most everything else is original. I love him but I know he's not going to last forever and gas prices are on an upward spiral. I don't know if I can live with him being crushed. I'll have to give it some serious thought.

Favorite Features

The engine is unstoppable. Performance is optimum. He looks great and people still stare. The interior is ergonomically designed. He just suits me to a "T". I'd buy another one like him in a heartbeat, if the gas mileage improved.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage and a better intake manifold design are really the only improvements I would make. Other than that, I love him just the way he is.

I Love My Monte Carlo LS
By Monte Carlo <3

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used. It has been a dream to own and drive. In the past year I have repainted. Put high quality tunes in it, along with high end goodyear tires. I drive this car 50+ miles 5 dyas a week sometimes more on weekends and have never regretted owning this gem. The satisfaction I get from driving an American made car is another added bonus. I don't miss my high priced imports one bit.

Favorite Features

Great Handling, Good Performance, Quite Smooth Ride, Classy Style. American Made

Suggested Improvements

Console is weak

Awsome car, but can be expensive.
By Lateralus

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for 2 years, and though kind of old when i bought it, its still alive. I love the way this car rides, especially when taking corners. The stock audio was good, but I put a new one in and its awesome. This is a pretty fast car too, without hitting 3000 rpm each gear after a red light, everyone in the other lane is just passing the intersection. My complaint is that the 3.4 liter engine is expensive to repair. Maybe if I wasn't working at a resturaunt at the time I could afford it easier, but when something went wrong it'd take almost all the money I had. It's gotten to the point where I must trade it in on another car where I don't have to keep repairing it.

Favorite Features

The speed, comfortable interior, nice suspension and handling. You can drive for hours in this car and not get tired of it. Plus, it looks great, especialy black with tinted windows. I've gotten many compliments on the cars look. It takes a lot of space to turn around though.

Suggested Improvements

The 3.4L engines can have a seriouse and expensive problem happen to them which requires disassembly of the engine. It happined to me and after parts and labor costed about $1000. My door panels are loose and the doors are very heavy. Also the ball joint disconnected while I was driving, scary.

Total Junk
By Shaun

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Only having the car 2 weeks the transmision gave out, the speedometer along with odometer stoped working, and it has spent more time in the shop than on the road. When I purchaced the car it was said to be in perfect condition. Overall it was a horrible buy.

Favorite Features

The radio controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Pretty much all mechanical aspects of the car.

Bought new, but not totally happy
By Tonia

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I ordered this Monte Carlo when they were first brought out for the '95 line. I have had some minor and some serious problems. The air conditioner went out first. It poured water back into my floor board and I had to have all the carpet replaced. The painted trim along the windows is flaking off-newer models have black trim instead of painted trim. The passenger power lock won't unlock. Power windows work on occassion, and sometimes they go down and won't go back up until a mile or so down the road. Both cup holders, the glove compartment latch (plastic), and trunk latch broke. I also had transmission rebuilt. Most annoying, the turn signal switch has short in it. I change lanes and it shuts off the cruise control. It has 124k on it now!

Favorite Features

It has the power! Very reliable even when the transmission was broke. it would shift from first to third and sound like it was coming out the trunk but it got me where I needed to go! It still drives like a dream for being 10+ years old. My sister bought a 2003 and it's much sportier, but less roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Could have put more effort into quality paint. Clear coat is coming off the bumpers, and flaking off trim. Makes it look rougher than it is. Also has several blind spots. The frame is not built with a driver in mind. Little back windows with lots of frame, frame around winshield slanted right in your view also.

Very nice first car!
By roseneko

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought my car six months ago because I needed a way to get to off-campus classes. So far I've had very few problems with her; she had a gasket that needed replacing, which only cost about $150 and for which I got the dealer to knock $500 off the price. She's a very comfortable cruiser/road- trip kind of car, but tends to be a bit heavy for simply commuting - my average mileage tends to be about 20 mpg. With gas prices skyrocketing again, that tends to stretch my budget a bit. Other than that, however, I haven't had any problems, and I love the fact that I have a slightly nicer car than most people my age. =)

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats --Well-designed interior controls --Very little engine/road noise; radio/passengers are easy to hear --Semi-luxury feel

Suggested Improvements

Large size for a coupe - makes her awkward to steer in small parking lots --Gas mileage a bit on the low side

Good Job Chevy
By Smooth Sailing

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I am really impressed with this vehicle. It gives me some confidence in American cars again. This bad boy seems to be happiest on the open highway as it commands any curve and effortlessly glides up any incline I've encountered. I've used this car as a traveling salesperson and it has been better than any rental I've had to use on my sales trips. I just hit 108k and have NEVER had ANY mechanical problems. All I do is oil change every 3k and that's it....SERIOUSLY! This car is a true ROADMASTER and the epitome of just an all around good vehicle to own.

Favorite Features

Smooth Handling...excellent factory stereo system. The White w/white rims is still an eye catcher when clean and it also gives it a sporty look.

Suggested Improvements

Minor problem with the passenger window coming down slower than the driver's.