Used 2000 Chevrolet Metro LSi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Metro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

Worthwhile
By ooolie

2000 Chevrolet Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used in 2008 with 61K miles. Inspection sticker was from 2003; it hadn't been driven that time. Rusty underneath, but other than that, very fine. Took it off the road for 6 months due to heavy potholes; cost $700 to repair due to being idle. Took tough city streets to work and needed a new rack and pinion ($700). A/C compressor went a year ago, due to having to constantly use the A/C - even in the winter - to get the windshield and side windows defrosted. Other than that, this is a great car and still depended on. You feel the bumps but that's because its a subcompact. Now at 100k miles. Gas mileage about 20 local / 30 highway w/ reg gas w/ auto transmission.

Good trunk size. Can park in spaces which are not spaces. Like having a Smart car for 4 passengers. I think I paid about $75 each for new tires which is on the lower side compared with most vehicles.

This model was discontinued in 2001. The defroster was the major downside of this car. It's a no-frills model with manual side mirrors and roll-down windows.

Best and first car
By danamarie4

2000 Chevrolet Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I got into a wreck with my 2000 chevy metro the 6th week I owned her. I was driving down a dirt road and hit a deer going around a corner; my metro spun and hit the deer twice. Once up front, once in the back. I spun again and tilted onto my driver side and slid 50ft into the woods and hit TWO trees. When she stood upright my only damage was on my drivers side (Needed new doors which were fixed for $300) I came out of that wreck alive because of how GOOD the Chevy Metro was built. I would recommend this car to any parents looking for a car of their child. A pretty inexpensive car to fix and buy. (Mine was an automatic not a 5 speed but they dont have that option)

I loved how her little engine purred. this was my first car and she is very easy to fix with very little guidance. Perfect car for teaching your children how to take care of their car.

NONE! I love this car a lot. and Chevy could not have done better.. (Unless they included a radio but those are easy to install now)

Great car
By Robert Huffman

2000 Chevrolet Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

For around town perfect car, has new struts, exhaust, paint job, timing belt, AC works great. Car has held up exceptionally well and over 10 years old now. Would not trade it in or sell it for any other car made for what I use it for.

ease of handling due to struts, reliable engine

none, should still be made

2000 Chevy Metro
By Joe in JT

2000 Chevrolet Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I use my Metro for work throwing newspapers everyday. It's very dependable and gets 32 mpg. The drivers seat springs collapsed and I have to use 3 Sunday newspapers under there so I don't sit on the floor. Also the interior roof liner is sagging, and the cup holder is dangerous as I couldn't put the car into reverse in a quick manner because I had a coffee cup in the holder which blocks the shifter. After I bought the car I had several repairs like a loose spark plug and cv boot and axle. The PNP switch in the trans shifter shorted because previous owner didn't push in the shifter button when changing gears. No problems after that and it has become a reliable car now that I enjoy.

I've never had any hesitation when pulling out on the busy highway. It always seems to be firing on all cylinders and is quite peppy. I feel now it's a very "dependable" car and if it does act up the Metro warns you with a noise or check engine light. Gas is good, but the 3 cylinder is better.

Fix cup holder. More room in engine compartment for repairs. Rear of car goes "up" and is difficult to see when backing up. Paint is faded bad. Headlamps seem to be dirty on the inside for some reason. Better exterior styling so the girls quit laughing at me at the red light.

Great car
By Paul L.

2000 Chevrolet Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car as my first vehicle slightly after turning 16. We payed close to $5,000 and this car was worth every penny. It was reliable and great on gas. Because of the low price point it was a good learning vehicle. I really did beat the crap out of it, and it kept going like a trooper. I recently wrecked it by rear-ending someone like an idiot and really regret losing the vehicle. (I only had liability) This lead me to write a review about ol' Blue as I called it. RIP, you always got me from point A to point B, you will be missed.

Fuel economy is great. The vehicle is much more spacious than it looks from the outside. A good deal of trunk space as well. I was impressed by the stereo, though. I'm not an audophile but it seems really solid for a car of this price. Did I mention the fuel economy is very good?

For a niche market and is built to be affordable, so it's hard to gripe about the lack of extras like power steering, cassette or CD, power windows, etc. Simple things could have been thought out better, though, like cup holders. Cabin becomes noisy at times. A good first car. Don't expect luxuries.