Used 1998 Chevrolet Metro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Metro - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Metro

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

It's been a good car for me
By JS

1998 Chevrolet Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought a new Chevy Metro back in 1998. It now has 160,000 miles and is still running fine. I have absolutely no complaints about my Metro. It has served me quite well as a dependable, economical commuter car. It is very fuel efficient and has been very reliable mechanically.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is excellent, and it's cheap to fill. Hardly any mechanical problems at all--nothing major, just normal wear and tear stuff typically expected to occur over the years (brakes, exhaust, tires, etc.)

Suggested Improvements

Higher front seats would have been better for me. I'm short and feel like I sit low in the seat.

Fantastic gas saver!
By Chevy Metro/Suzuki

1998 Chevrolet Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

Indeed, we have been 100% very pleased over the years with the automatic version, comfort and cargo space offered by this stylish Chevy Metro /Suzuki Swift, having Japanese quality & reliability so obvious, this car will not let you down, and you can really smile at the gas station with these new gas prices and still rising! We truly love this car who saved us thousands of dollars over the years!

Favorite Features

Fantastic, stylish gas saver!

Suggested Improvements

Sure they should have installed a Voice Navigation System and Laser Guidance on it, but with this Fuel Miser Absolutely Champion we already asked for too much!

I Love My Car!!!
By New Mommy cries

1998 Chevrolet Metro 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car solely due to its low price back in 1998. Since that time I have put on 82000miles & have had no problems, I love my car. I have been in 2 accidents once in the front and once in the rear and both left no damage on myself or my car. The gas mileage is amazing even with the A/C running. I find I often shock those next to me at lights because I am not the last one out. You would think this 3 cyl engine would drag, but I have never experienced this. I hate to have to get rid of this car, but it is not compatable to car seats going in and out. ohh Have I mentioned I love my car. It is the most under rated car that has ever been sold.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, cheap gas, dependable beyond belief

Suggested Improvements

I wish I had bought a 4dr. They need to make them agian.

Metro mania
By Jay Pope

1998 Chevrolet Metro 2dr Hatchback

This is my second Metro. I got this 1998 2 dr used and have been a bit disappointed at the lower mpg as compared to my 4 dr 93 GEO. Still, with winter cold starts and a commute of only 7 miles city driving to work, I got over 36 mpg. Hope to get 40 mpg with the warmer weather. Wonderful car around town. Fun to drive. Easy to maintain. Resale value is about 100% so far.

Favorite Features

Economy, nimbleness, easy to park, fits in the garage great.

Suggested Improvements

2 words: HY BRID

Metro tons of power for small dollars.
By mvlion

1998 Chevrolet Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

Metro's are excellent cars for the small amount of money needed to buy one. Always, make sure you get a 5 speed. Never, buy this car in a power and mileage robbing 3 speed automatic. This is the reason that it so hard to find a used low mileage stick and so easy to find a low mileage automatic. Expect, to get 40 mpg with a stick Metro with pretty good comfort and equipment levels. 1998 and newer models had Fuel Injection and are much quicker!

Favorite Features

Leave any Ford or Honda in your wake with the torque of a Suzuki 4 Cyl.

Suggested Improvements

Need power steering in a 3 door.