Used 1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

Cheap, Great MPG, Low Operating Cost
By Linda

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

40 mpg city without air on. Air drags 3 cyl 5 spd down to 30mpg. Don't expect to get on the freeway unless you turn everything off and downshift to third to get up speed. I'm always the last from a light. 50 mph the car runs fantastic, at 70 on freeway it is wound up so tight in 5th gear it is hurting. Repairs have been minor except for a constant unrepairable airconditioning compressor leak. On the 3rd compressor and no air with only 59,000 miles on the car. Cheap cost, great low driving and repair cost - but get what you pay for.

Great gas mileage, low maintenance cost, low purchase cost. Great city commuter car.

Cheap plastic buttons that hold the car together and break all the time. Make them out of better material. Make air so it doesn't drag the engine down so bad.

If you're cheap, you'll love it
By Joe

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Ok, I admit it; Iím cheap. We bought the Metro in 1997 for under $8,000 (including taxes and license). With the wind, it gets around 50 mpg and has never done less than 35. If you are a cheapskate, don't believe the lies about the Metro. The professional review is really misleading and lacks historical perspective. Compared to my other car, a highly- rated 2002 Subaru Outback, it was a heck of a buy. Oh yeah, more comfortable, reliable and fun to drive too.

It has been remarkably reliable with only one $150 repair at 31,000 miles. Now itís almost nine years old with around 150,000 miles and still going strong. I live in northern North Dakota where the weather can be nasty. It starts every morning (even at minus 47 F, thatís not wind-chill Chucko)

Fantastic gas saver!
By Chevy Metro/Suzuki

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback LSi 2dr Hatchback

Indeed, we have been 100% very pleased over the years with the automatic version, comfort and cargo space offered by this stylish Chevy Metro /Suzuki Swift, having Japanese quality & reliability so obvious, this car will not let you down, and you can really smile at the gas station with these new gas prices and still rising! We truly love this car who saved us thousands of dollars over the years!

Fantastic, stylish gas saver!

Sure they should have installed a Voice Navigation System and Laser Guidance on it, but with this Fuel Miser Absolutely Champion we already asked for too much!

I Love My Car!!!
By New Mommy cries

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car solely due to its low price back in 1998. Since that time I have put on 82000miles & have had no problems, I love my car. I have been in 2 accidents once in the front and once in the rear and both left no damage on myself or my car. The gas mileage is amazing even with the A/C running. I find I often shock those next to me at lights because I am not the last one out. You would think this 3 cyl engine would drag, but I have never experienced this. I hate to have to get rid of this car, but it is not compatable to car seats going in and out. ohh Have I mentioned I love my car. It is the most under rated car that has ever been sold.

Fun to drive, cheap gas, dependable beyond belief

I wish I had bought a 4dr. They need to make them agian.

Metro mania
By Jay Pope

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This is my second Metro. I got this 1998 2 dr used and have been a bit disappointed at the lower mpg as compared to my 4 dr 93 GEO. Still, with winter cold starts and a commute of only 7 miles city driving to work, I got over 36 mpg. Hope to get 40 mpg with the warmer weather. Wonderful car around town. Fun to drive. Easy to maintain. Resale value is about 100% so far.

Economy, nimbleness, easy to park, fits in the garage great.

2 words: HY BRID