Used 1998 Chevrolet Metro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Metro - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Metro

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

What's not to like
By boaw

1998 Chevrolet Metro 2dr Hatchback

Never breaks down. More comfortable on long trips than my Subaru Outback. Amazing MPG. Great snow car with proper tires. Fun to drive. You can speed without fear of getting a ticket as cops don't believe their radar. Cost $8,000 new

Suggested Improvements

Build them again.

Energizer Bunny! It just goes & goes
By HappyMetroOwner

1998 Chevrolet Metro 2dr Hatchback

When I bought the car new, it was listed MSRP $9000, at 2% interest payments. I got $600 off the trade-in, $750 Special markdown on sticker, and $500 loyal Chevy buyer discount ($7150 total cost). Its been ultra reliable, only routine maintenance and 1 starter, less weight than a Volkswagon, gets 44.6 MPG when new, and not much different at 101,300 miles. Do not let the oil get low! It is a 3 cyl. 1.0 liter, best for 1 person city trips. Use 185/60QR-14 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 snow tires on this car in the snow or expect to not go because it is so lite in weight. I replaced the original 13" rims for 14", and had no issues. The metal sides dent easily in parking lots, no rust in 10years!

Favorite Features

Gas sipper, fun to drive in the snow

Suggested Improvements

Any accident and you will lose, so it is not a good car for reckless drivers or probably new drivers. The molding for door ding prevention was placed too low. Lift the body, its low for getting in and out of, not good for handi-capped for that reason. Manual shift gets sticky over the years at pivot

I am in love
By Mrnrich1979

1998 Chevrolet Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I am so happy about the fact I found this car. I was shopping for a Civic when I came across this gem. Perfect little car in perfect shape. I have classmates coming up to me asking what is the new model on campus. Of course I just laugh and tell them this car is 9 years old. Did I mention it takes 9 dollars for a half tank of gas.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, parking

Suggested Improvements

Make more of them

Cheap, Great MPG, Low Operating Cost
By Linda

1998 Chevrolet Metro 2dr Hatchback

40 mpg city without air on. Air drags 3 cyl 5 spd down to 30mpg. Don't expect to get on the freeway unless you turn everything off and downshift to third to get up speed. I'm always the last from a light. 50 mph the car runs fantastic, at 70 on freeway it is wound up so tight in 5th gear it is hurting. Repairs have been minor except for a constant unrepairable airconditioning compressor leak. On the 3rd compressor and no air with only 59,000 miles on the car. Cheap cost, great low driving and repair cost - but get what you pay for.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, low maintenance cost, low purchase cost. Great city commuter car.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap plastic buttons that hold the car together and break all the time. Make them out of better material. Make air so it doesn't drag the engine down so bad.

If you're cheap, you'll love it
By Joe

1998 Chevrolet Metro 2dr Hatchback

Ok, I admit it; Iím cheap. We bought the Metro in 1997 for under $8,000 (including taxes and license). With the wind, it gets around 50 mpg and has never done less than 35. If you are a cheapskate, don't believe the lies about the Metro. The professional review is really misleading and lacks historical perspective. Compared to my other car, a highly- rated 2002 Subaru Outback, it was a heck of a buy. Oh yeah, more comfortable, reliable and fun to drive too.

Favorite Features

It has been remarkably reliable with only one $150 repair at 31,000 miles. Now itís almost nine years old with around 150,000 miles and still going strong. I live in northern North Dakota where the weather can be nasty. It starts every morning (even at minus 47 F, thatís not wind-chill Chucko)