1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:
Just a fun little car!
By theguy89 on 05/26/11 01:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I got this car when i turned 18 and im now 22 years old i had 90 thousand miles on it then and it now has 150 thousands miles on it i had to replace an alternater and a starter but nothing seroius very well build car no major problems and i dont regret it at all.this car had been threw hell and back but somehow its still runs as if it was brand new.what can i say? well its damn good car thats what i can say!

Awesome little car
By Mom on 08/29/08 20:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback LSi 2dr Hatchback

My brother drove this car to work every day in all kinds of weather until he retired this year. I luckily inherited it from him with 94,000 miles on it. It still gets great mpgs. It's a little cramped for me but I can deal with that. The only problem I have is with a fuel pressure sensor and I can't find parts at the junk yards!

I love this car
By sarah on 08/05/08 09:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car has been wonderful to me. I bought it used in 2003 with no clue how to drive a stick. It's very forgiving and easy to learn on. Haven't had any problems other than the usual repairs required.

What's not to like
By boaw on 05/17/08 19:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Never breaks down. More comfortable on long trips than my Subaru Outback. Amazing MPG. Great snow car with proper tires. Fun to drive. You can speed without fear of getting a ticket as cops don't believe their radar. Cost $8,000 new

Energizer Bunny! It just goes & goes
By HappyMetroOwner on 02/15/08 11:58 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

When I bought the car new, it was listed MSRP $9000, at 2% interest payments. I got $600 off the trade-in, $750 Special markdown on sticker, and $500 loyal Chevy buyer discount ($7150 total cost). Its been ultra reliable, only routine maintenance and 1 starter, less weight than a Volkswagon, gets 44.6 MPG when new, and not much different at 101,300 miles. Do not let the oil get low! It is a 3 cyl. 1.0 liter, best for 1 person city trips. Use 185/60QR-14 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 snow tires on this car in the snow or expect to not go because it is so lite in weight. I replaced the original 13" rims for 14", and had no issues. The metal sides dent easily in parking lots, no rust in 10years!

Cheap, Great MPG, Low Operating Cost
By Linda on 02/17/07 07:18 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

40 mpg city without air on. Air drags 3 cyl 5 spd down to 30mpg. Don't expect to get on the freeway unless you turn everything off and downshift to third to get up speed. I'm always the last from a light. 50 mph the car runs fantastic, at 70 on freeway it is wound up so tight in 5th gear it is hurting. Repairs have been minor except for a constant unrepairable airconditioning compressor leak. On the 3rd compressor and no air with only 59,000 miles on the car. Cheap cost, great low driving and repair cost - but get what you pay for.

If you're cheap, you'll love it
By Joe on 04/24/06 16:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Ok, I admit it; I’m cheap. We bought the Metro in 1997 for under $8,000 (including taxes and license). With the wind, it gets around 50 mpg and has never done less than 35. If you are a cheapskate, don't believe the lies about the Metro. The professional review is really misleading and lacks historical perspective. Compared to my other car, a highly- rated 2002 Subaru Outback, it was a heck of a buy. Oh yeah, more comfortable, reliable and fun to drive too.

Fantastic gas saver!
By Chevy Metro/Suzuki on 08/22/05 09:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback LSi 2dr Hatchback

Indeed, we have been 100% very pleased over the years with the automatic version, comfort and cargo space offered by this stylish Chevy Metro /Suzuki Swift, having Japanese quality & reliability so obvious, this car will not let you down, and you can really smile at the gas station with these new gas prices and still rising! We truly love this car who saved us thousands of dollars over the years!

I Love My Car!!!
By New Mommy cries on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car solely due to its low price back in 1998. Since that time I have put on 82000miles & have had no problems, I love my car. I have been in 2 accidents once in the front and once in the rear and both left no damage on myself or my car. The gas mileage is amazing even with the A/C running. I find I often shock those next to me at lights because I am not the last one out. You would think this 3 cyl engine would drag, but I have never experienced this. I hate to have to get rid of this car, but it is not compatable to car seats going in and out. ohh Have I mentioned I love my car. It is the most under rated car that has ever been sold.

Metro mania
By Jay Pope on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This is my second Metro. I got this 1998 2 dr used and have been a bit disappointed at the lower mpg as compared to my 4 dr 93 GEO. Still, with winter cold starts and a commute of only 7 miles city driving to work, I got over 36 mpg. Hope to get 40 mpg with the warmer weather. Wonderful car around town. Fun to drive. Easy to maintain. Resale value is about 100% so far.