Used 1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Metro - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

Just a fun little car!
By theguy89

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I got this car when i turned 18 and im now 22 years old i had 90 thousand miles on it then and it now has 150 thousands miles on it i had to replace an alternater and a starter but nothing seroius very well build car no major problems and i dont regret it at all.this car had been threw hell and back but somehow its still runs as if it was brand new.what can i say? well its damn good car thats what i can say!

Favorite Features

gets around great in the snow even if it is light.i wouldnt reccomend putting after market speakers in it the little thing cant handle all that power to put out! i can pick this car up and move it an 180 degree angle so if i park crooked no need to get in it and fix it just simply pick up the ass end and move it closer to the curb tell me another car you can do that with?

Suggested Improvements

ac could not keep leaking,a real cup holder would be nice,and better locks because they all lock up over time then u can get into your car unless you know how to fix them.wheel tilt!

Awesome little car
By Mom

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback LSi 2dr Hatchback

My brother drove this car to work every day in all kinds of weather until he retired this year. I luckily inherited it from him with 94,000 miles on it. It still gets great mpgs. It's a little cramped for me but I can deal with that. The only problem I have is with a fuel pressure sensor and I can't find parts at the junk yards!

Suggested Improvements

A little more leg room for rear passengers, move the cup holder, electric windows/seats, and add a CD player

I love this car
By sarah

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car has been wonderful to me. I bought it used in 2003 with no clue how to drive a stick. It's very forgiving and easy to learn on. Haven't had any problems other than the usual repairs required.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is excellent, and the car itself is cute!

Suggested Improvements

I have to sit on a pillow to drive my car, so seat adjustments would be nice.

What's not to like
By boaw

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Never breaks down. More comfortable on long trips than my Subaru Outback. Amazing MPG. Great snow car with proper tires. Fun to drive. You can speed without fear of getting a ticket as cops don't believe their radar. Cost $8,000 new

Suggested Improvements

Build them again.

Energizer Bunny! It just goes & goes
By HappyMetroOwner

1998 Chevrolet Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

When I bought the car new, it was listed MSRP $9000, at 2% interest payments. I got $600 off the trade-in, $750 Special markdown on sticker, and $500 loyal Chevy buyer discount ($7150 total cost). Its been ultra reliable, only routine maintenance and 1 starter, less weight than a Volkswagon, gets 44.6 MPG when new, and not much different at 101,300 miles. Do not let the oil get low! It is a 3 cyl. 1.0 liter, best for 1 person city trips. Use 185/60QR-14 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 snow tires on this car in the snow or expect to not go because it is so lite in weight. I replaced the original 13" rims for 14", and had no issues. The metal sides dent easily in parking lots, no rust in 10years!

Favorite Features

Gas sipper, fun to drive in the snow

Suggested Improvements

Any accident and you will lose, so it is not a good car for reckless drivers or probably new drivers. The molding for door ding prevention was placed too low. Lift the body, its low for getting in and out of, not good for handi-capped for that reason. Manual shift gets sticky over the years at pivot