1998 Chevrolet Metro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:
I'm a Metro Maniac and proud of it!
By tishpit1 on 01/22/13 13:32 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

LOVE this little bugger! It is an automatic and has enough pep to move out when needed, though no pocket rocket. Mileage averages in the mid-30 MPG range... on par with many new small cars. Could use an overdrive gear, but hey, for $3500 with 50,000 original well-cared-for miles... I'm thrilled! No car payments... easy to work on... fun to drive... great fuel economy... and lots of room. Wish they still made these! Wouldn't trade it for a new Fiesta, Mazda 2, Smart, IQ, or Spark or anything else I can think of. C'mon GM... bring back the METRO!!!!

Just a fun little car!
By theguy89 on 05/26/11 01:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Metro 2dr Hatchback

I got this car when i turned 18 and im now 22 years old i had 90 thousand miles on it then and it now has 150 thousands miles on it i had to replace an alternater and a starter but nothing seroius very well build car no major problems and i dont regret it at all.this car had been threw hell and back but somehow its still runs as if it was brand new.what can i say? well its damn good car thats what i can say!

Good economical & reliable ride
By gr8tchr4u on 12/18/10 10:19 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I have had my 98 Chevy Metro, automatic transmission, for 12 years. Over the 12 years I have amassed over 180,000 miles. It has been an absolutely reliable, fuel efficient, and extremely durable used car. Aside from replacing the transmission and regular maintenance, I have had to do nothing major to this vehicle. The ride is not spectacular. There is a lot of road noise. It came with a standard AM/FM radio and manual windows and door locks. Quinn hit, the body damage can be extensive because it's not solidly built. It crumbles like tinfoil.

Awesome little car
By Mom on 08/29/08 20:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

My brother drove this car to work every day in all kinds of weather until he retired this year. I luckily inherited it from him with 94,000 miles on it. It still gets great mpgs. It's a little cramped for me but I can deal with that. The only problem I have is with a fuel pressure sensor and I can't find parts at the junk yards!

I love this car
By sarah on 08/05/08 09:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Metro 2dr Hatchback

This car has been wonderful to me. I bought it used in 2003 with no clue how to drive a stick. It's very forgiving and easy to learn on. Haven't had any problems other than the usual repairs required.

What's not to like
By boaw on 05/17/08 19:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Metro 2dr Hatchback

Never breaks down. More comfortable on long trips than my Subaru Outback. Amazing MPG. Great snow car with proper tires. Fun to drive. You can speed without fear of getting a ticket as cops don't believe their radar. Cost $8,000 new

Energizer Bunny! It just goes & goes
By HappyMetroOwner on 02/15/08 11:58 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Metro 2dr Hatchback

When I bought the car new, it was listed MSRP $9000, at 2% interest payments. I got $600 off the trade-in, $750 Special markdown on sticker, and $500 loyal Chevy buyer discount ($7150 total cost). Its been ultra reliable, only routine maintenance and 1 starter, less weight than a Volkswagon, gets 44.6 MPG when new, and not much different at 101,300 miles. Do not let the oil get low! It is a 3 cyl. 1.0 liter, best for 1 person city trips. Use 185/60QR-14 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 snow tires on this car in the snow or expect to not go because it is so lite in weight. I replaced the original 13" rims for 14", and had no issues. The metal sides dent easily in parking lots, no rust in 10years!

I am in love
By Mrnrich1979 on 02/22/07 15:49 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I am so happy about the fact I found this car. I was shopping for a Civic when I came across this gem. Perfect little car in perfect shape. I have classmates coming up to me asking what is the new model on campus. Of course I just laugh and tell them this car is 9 years old. Did I mention it takes 9 dollars for a half tank of gas.

Cheap, Great MPG, Low Operating Cost
By Linda on 02/17/07 07:18 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Metro 2dr Hatchback

40 mpg city without air on. Air drags 3 cyl 5 spd down to 30mpg. Don't expect to get on the freeway unless you turn everything off and downshift to third to get up speed. I'm always the last from a light. 50 mph the car runs fantastic, at 70 on freeway it is wound up so tight in 5th gear it is hurting. Repairs have been minor except for a constant unrepairable airconditioning compressor leak. On the 3rd compressor and no air with only 59,000 miles on the car. Cheap cost, great low driving and repair cost - but get what you pay for.

If you're cheap, you'll love it
By Joe on 04/24/06 16:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Metro 2dr Hatchback

Ok, I admit it; Iím cheap. We bought the Metro in 1997 for under $8,000 (including taxes and license). With the wind, it gets around 50 mpg and has never done less than 35. If you are a cheapskate, don't believe the lies about the Metro. The professional review is really misleading and lacks historical perspective. Compared to my other car, a highly- rated 2002 Subaru Outback, it was a heck of a buy. Oh yeah, more comfortable, reliable and fun to drive too.