2015 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

2LTZ Pride
By Dan

2015 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan w/2LZ (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love this car. There is a lot of technology built into this and I feel comfortable with all the safety features. I have the 19" wheels and all the options offered. The turbo engine pulls hard, even at highway speeds. My wife and I take this LTZ on trips, transported our 65in flat screen perfectly, hauled groceries, kept teenagers happy with the wifi, and yet the neighbors think it looks like a BMW.

I love my Maibu but disappointed.
By JQ

2015 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my Malibu for a little over a year and I loved it from the moment the salesman pulled it up for me to test drive it. Brand new with on 3 miles. I've been on a couple road trips and loved the smooth ride and comfort.
The my link and XM radios are among my favorite features. I have always disliked the start stop function and wished it was a way to disable it. Doesn't seem to save much gas and I hate the feeling that my car has stalled. A few days ago when I'd come to a stop and the feature engaged as normal, I let my foot off the brake and my radio cut off for a few seconds, then came back on. I thought nothing of it at first until it did it a second time but this time the check engine light came on and now I'm alarmed. I take it into the dealership to find out the auxiliary battery that powers the features in the car while the engine is shut off is drained and needed to be replaced. I've only had my car for exactly 13 month and this battery needs to be replaced? Luckily it's under warranty but what happens when the warranty is up? Will I have to replace this battery every year? Will it cause electrical problems? I also fear that the starter will not last because of the constant starting. As much as I love this car this lack of reliability has disappointed me and makes me worry how this car will hold up after its a few years old. I know a battery is nothing and hopefully nothing else happens that is not covered under warranty.

2015 Chevy Malibu Ls
By Joe

2015 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Well I have had this car for two months and I am very happy with it, the 2.5L engine makes good power 196hp and the fuel mileage is very good I actually get the advertised mileage ,the car is very comfortable and all the controls are laid out nice and are very easy to understand and operate it handles great and it is a joy to drive. the only thing I would change is the engine auto start stop feature it works well but I rather not have it and there should be a on-off switch for those of us who would rather have it off but I took care of that and it does not auto start stop unless I want it to. So at this point the car drives and operates just the way I like and I am very happy with it and I would recommend it to anyone who needs a nice mid sized car

Love my new malibu
By DanaB

2015 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Would rent, Would not buy.
By Adam

2015 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I had a 2015 Malibu as a rental for a week. I drove approximately 300 miles during the week I had it.

The positives are that the interior is relatively quiet and comfortable considering the price point of this car. There is sufficient power there, but it is difficult to access/control because of the drive by wire throttle (more on that later). The brakes are capable and the car holds the road well on twisty/hilly terrain. It feels confident and easy to control at highway speeds.

Gas mileage was OK. The computer informed me that my average was 26.1mpg over the course of my time with the car. Mostly city/suburban and a little highway driving.

The most glaring issue I noticed immediately is how hard it is to see out of this car, both front and back. All new cars I've driven seem to be this way, however. The large A-pillars make it hard to see around a corner and the large C-pillars make it hard to see what is behind you when backing out of a parking space. The windshield mounted rear view mirror may as well not even be there. It is useless unless what you are trying to see is precisely behind the car. Anything to either side is obscured by the C-pillars, which creates huge blind spots.

The materials on the interior can be described as "cheap" to be kind. The plastics are hard and the texture is not pleasant to touch. My rental had the worst feeling steering wheel of any car I have ever driven. It felt like petting a crocodile. I understand that this is an entry level economy car and don't expect anything to be wrapped in leather or trimmed with wood, but I've driven econo-boxes from the late 90's with better interior finish than this car.

The worst problem I have saved for last. It is the horrendous throttle feel given by the drive-by-wire system. This is somewhat hard to explain, but it feels like the accelerator pedal is more of a suggestion to the engine rather than a direct translation of what my right foot is doing. The worst is when backing out of a parking space while going uphill. I would push the pedal, nothing happens, push some more, nothing happens...until I have it nearly to the floor and the car suddenly lurches out of the parking space. Instead of an even, predictable gradient of power, its either all or nothing.

It is almost as if there is a 1 to 2 second delay between pedal input and engine response. It is most noticeable in city driving in situations when you need a little bit of power instantly, like when making a left hand turn into oncoming traffic. I was nearly involved in an accident due to the delay. It's only about a second or two, but when someone is driving toward you at 40mph, one second makes a lot of difference. This did not inspire confidence and I dreaded any time I had to take this car near a city.

Once on the highway, the throttle problem is not so bad, but it is still hard to figure out how much to depress the pedal in order to achieve the desired results. I found myself over accelerating, or accidentally cutting someone off because of the vague feel to the accelerator.

At its best the throttle is vague, annoying and unpredictable. At its worst, it is downright dangerous.

This car was tolerable as a rental, but I would never buy one. By the end of the week I couldn't wait to get back into my old car.