2014 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

just a few tips
By cigrman1

2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The front windshield rear view mirror section is too big and is in the way of a complete view. What really bugs me is the accent trim on the steering wheel. If the sun is coming in the driver side window it glints of the trim just right and is blinding!!! I have to put my hand just righ to block the sun. Add on - I hate the windows that do what they want, all the way up or all the way down. When I press the window button I just want it to do what I want period. Not all the way down and then have to adjust it up to where I want it. Oh that would be nice but when you go up it goes all the way up unless you think to stop it somewhere. Pisses me off...

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage on the frw. Comfortable seats. I like the cruise control functions the best of any car.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the rear view mirrors all the way around. Take the metal trim off the steering wheel- absolute-. Even the cheapest honda Accord has a rear view camera. Personally I would like to see windows that are adjustable not atomatic all the way up or all the way down.

Previous Model is Better
By stower17

2014 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is a very average midsized car. The auto stop/start system in this car has a few consequences that are worth informing future buyers about. There is no on/off button for the auto stop feature. The reason I am commenting on this annoyance is because the auto start/stop is way more noticeable then what the manufacturer says. It is very noticeable, the car almost feels like it stalls and then lunges every time the engine shuts off then restarts. Also, when the engine shuts off at a stop, the air conditioning gets very warm and the fan speed reduces dramatically. With summer temperatures in the 90's right now, it gets very warm in the car when the engine shuts off.

Favorite Features

Comfortable drivers seat. Drives easily. Very quiet cabin, probably the quietest midsized car I have been in. Smooth suspension. Ambient lighting. Rear seat easy to fold down.

Suggested Improvements

Make the auto stop/start less noticeable. A/C performance when engine stops is terrible. Back seat is cramped. Rearview mirror too small. Glare from instrument panel makes it hard to read gauges. Windshield pillars are big and create a blind spot. The two cell phone holder slots in the console should be storage compartments that are more use-full. There is a lot of wasted space in the center console. It's competitors still have better MPG than the Malibu and they have conventional drivetrains that do not have auto stop/start. Visibility is not very good with all the blind spots.

Butte Red/Brownstone 2014 Malibu 2LTZ
By evnsptc

2014 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan w/2LZ (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I ordered my 2014 Malibu with all of the options and received it within a month (7 months ago). It now has 18K miles and has been averaging 24 City and 32 Highway which is much better than the cars estimates of 21 City and 30 Highway. It has only been in the shop for regular maintenance so far. This is my first Chevrolet, but one of the many GM vehicles I have owned. The interior is exceptionally quiet (not library silent like Buick), functional, and comfortable. I have taken it down to Texas from Indiana and it is a great trip vehicle! The ride and handling are far more superior than the Fusion, Accord, and Sonata. I work for General Motors as an associate engineer, but am not biased

Favorite Features

Advanced safety package, LTZ premium package, Pioneer 9-Speaker system, Moonroof, Spoiler, 19' 5-Spoke rims, Heated/Power leather seats, Ambient lighting, Gauge cluster, Chevrolet MyLink, HID headlamps, LED taillamps, Trunk space, and most importantly; the 2.0t I4 engine with best-in-class 295FT-LBS. I understand that this Malibu isn't perfect, but it is pretty dang good against all of its competitors. I love it and hope to keep it until 2016 for a new Cruze or Volt.

Suggested Improvements

-Standard Lip Spoiler on LT -Standard Wing Spoiler on LTZ -6 Speed Manual or 7 Speed Dual Clutch -UltraView -17'-20' Improved Rim Selection -Performance Exhaust -Illuminated Door Sill Plates -Offer a body colored grille -Offer body colored roof rails (for looks) -Take a chunk of trunk space for rear seat legroom -Add Intake Variable Valve Lift to the 2.0t for an increase of 2-3mpg -Improve or replace Stop/Start System which can act funny at times -Improve 2.5i's performance to 205HP/195FT-LBS and efficiency by 1-3mpg

not bad chevy, not bad!
By mattyvp

2014 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/2LT (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

i enjoy the zippy buzzy 2.5 4-cylinder, it pretty sufficient of moving the car swiftly. very nice ride for what it is, but can be floaty and too bouncy, while road noise is well controlled, rear seat space is smaller than i'd like but its not that big of a car. the biggest complain is the rear seats though. they are very hard and literally hurt me and my passengers, but no complaints with the front ones, they're rather comfy. the dash and leather are nice soft materials, but some dash parts seem just glued on and put on in a rush almost. the media system is also rather hard to comprehend and can be very confusing at first but becomes easier over time; also the stereo is pretty lack luster.

Favorite Features

the beefy, masculine styling with the aggressive alloy wheels, is a nice combo. i liked the dash set up and most of the materials used to make it. i really like how is a top safety pick plus. its pretty decent base engine is pretty quiet and almost makes you think your in a more up-scale vehicle. the LCD is pretty large and is very responsive and sensitive. the little cubby behind the radio is a nice modern touch as well.

Suggested Improvements

THE BACK SEATS! they are dreadful, and hurt the rear passengers. you can feel the body of the car under these seats! it might just be mine, because i don't know how a company can let a car, with rear seats like that, off the production line. the roof inside also feels kinda tight, and causes visibility issues both forward and rearward. also would suggest a better audio system. its ok for basic listening, but for music enthusiasts, the mumbling speakers wont be enough. if there is a stereo upgrade, GET IT!

2014 2LT
By petrack

2014 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/2LT (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My company allowed me to order a new company car about 7 weeks ago. I ordered a Malibu 2LT black/black over both the Fusion Hybrid and Camry Hybrid. It took five weeks to the day to get. I travel frequently and have rented all of them, but liked the way the Malibu drove the best. After a week and 1200 miles, I'm still glad I chose it. Plenty of power (2.5), handles decent (I guess it's received some suspension, steering and engine upgrades since the 2013). More than enough room for what a I need.

Favorite Features

Backup camera, 9 speaker Pioneer audio, moonroof, day/night mirror, remote start (from fob or phone app), Sirius/XM radio.

Suggested Improvements

Although I'm sure it will be durable, unless you get the leather package, the seat material looks cheap because of the texture.