Impressed so far...
By tlimbert65 on
2013 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
This car has some pretty stiff competition in the Camry, Accord, Altima and Sonata, but I wanted to buy American from a local dealer, if I could. After comparing, I was impressed enough to buy the Malibu. It's roomy, quiet, comfortable, powerful, and pretty nice looking. The electronics features (OnStar, Bluetooth phone integration, XM radio, driver info system) are handy and work great. Fuel economy was a concern for me, based on ratings, but I've been averaging 31 in my daily commuting (mostly highway) and I've measured tanks of 34 and 36.
Favorite Features
Quiet and smooth. Powerful engine. Nice electronics features.
Suggested Improvements
Styling is just a bit over the top, in some areas. Not a fan of the Camaro-inspired taillights, or the huge expanse of grille. Also, the design makes the car appear to lean forward much more than it actually does. Could stand to have more interior storage compartments (I'm spoiled by my '08 Elantra).
By tlimbert65
on 06/20/14 09:04 AM (PDT)

Second update: Over 25,000 miles now, and no problems at all. Gas mileage has gone back up now that warm weather is here. Car has been totally reliable (other than an occasional glitch with the heater where it will blast heat out for a few seconds, even when the controls are set for cold). Very happy with the car at this point.

By tlimbert65
on 01/01/14 13:08 PM (PST)

Just an update: I've now got just under 13,000 miles on the Malibu, and I wouldn't change anything I said in my initial review. Fuel economy has dropped a bit in the (very) cold Iowa winter, but that's to be expected. I'm still averaging over 30 mpg. I've had absolutely no glitches with any part of the car, and it's still a pleasant experience to drive every day. I really love the power and the quiet, smooth ride on the highway. I also love the responsive handling around town. The unseasonably low temps we're having around my place right now have also revealed that the car's battery is just barely adequate to turn over the engine in extreme cold. In single-digit temps or lower, it just BARELY cranks the engine. Hasn't failed to start, though. I'm wondering if both the slight drop in gas mileage, and the slow cranking, might be due to the fact that the dealership used 5W-30 motor oil at my last oil change (at 8,000 miles) rather than the specified 5W-20. Maybe it's just thicker enough to cause both issues in this cold weather.