Used 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2013 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

I can't believe it's not an import!
By kkear3

2013 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This 2013 Malibu is all the reasons we used to buy import cars. It's quiet inside, good looking on the outside, has amazing tech, plenty of power, gets great gas mileage( 31 MPG rural driving), excellent paint work, all priced lower than most everything else. I don't know why GM couldn't or didn't build cars like this 30 years ago; I am just glad they do now. I was going to lease a Camry SE to replace my aging Tundra which needed several VERY expensive repairs (!!!!) but the Malibu has more equipment and is 30% less in both down money and monthly payment. Best of all the 2013 Malibu is SO much better looking than the "dopey" looking 2013 Camry. Gotta love the cool blue interior illumination.

Favorite Features

MyLink, clean eye-catching styling, standard equipment levels, powerful and smooth 4 cylinder engine. The interior lights up a cool blue at night-it feels like one of those trendy clubs that serve vodka and Red Bull.

Suggested Improvements

Optional spare tire the lower trim levels-I'll get one for a couple bucks at Harry's U-Pull-It. Folding mirrors would be nice for parking on narrow streets but GM probably had to save money somewhere to offer the car at this price.

A Very Good Buy
By bedshki

2013 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The redesigned 2013 Malibu looks and drives nothing like the 2012 model. This car is an extremely comfortable drive and the seats hug you. It features a quiet interior which you will really notice on those drives on the interstate. In addition to the redesigned interior, Chevy redesigned the gearing to get a car with a total average of about 30mpg city/highway. In short, if you are looking for a reliable car with a sleek look this is the car to have.

Favorite Features

You can't go wrong with 35MPG highway. In addition, the info-tainment system is a nice upgrade from previous models, as well as the ambient lighting system that bathes your interior in a calming blue when it becomes dark outside. The drive is extremely quiet and comfortable; it's clear Chevy put some time into noise canceling features as you barely hear the outside environment. The steering and turning radius is nice and tight. You don't feel like you are trying to park the Titanic into a small space. The steering is very responsive small adjustments are all you need to make when you're on the interstate.

Suggested Improvements

Although you get an average of 30 overall MPG it comes with a curse. Chevy only offers a 4cly engine on the LS and LT models. This leaves it feeling a little underpowered. In short, if you think you can pass somebody on a 2-lane road..don't. It requires additional time to get up to speed. Also because of the gearing the car tends to shift up or downshift a lot between 15-30MPH leaving it feeling a bit jumpy, not to mention kind of annoying. The leg room in the back seat leaves something to be desired. The car has plenty of passenger space but for whatever reason Chevy skimped on the rear leg space. Lastly, what's with the lack of spare tire??

Chevy Malibu 2013
By stromit

2013 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Have had the Chevy 1LT Malibu for about a month now. Traded in a 2006 Honda Pilot with almost 100K. Hard to trade in but it eats gas like nothing. Really like the better gas mileage. Not fantastic but a big step up. We also have a 2012 Honda Accord. The Accord gets better gas mileage and is zippier and shifts gears smoother. But, the Malibu feels like a really nice luxury car. I really like it better. In fact, my 18 year old likes it much better than the Accord. More bells & whistles. Will be interesting to see the reliability in the future for both. But, I have more faith in GM now than in the past. As far as OnStar navigation which is free for 6 months, not impressed.

Favorite Features

Interior front comfort is fantastic. A pleasure to drive. Really like the XM Radio. Feels like a luxury car inside with the many interior lights. Comfortable front seats.

Suggested Improvements

A little difficult to see cars on the right hand side. A bigger blind spot than I would like so have to really pay attention. The shifting of gears is not as smooth as our 2012 Accord. The back seats do seem a bit cramped.

Fantastic refined midsize sedan
By curved

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I bought a '13 Malibu ECO last week and have been loving it. Compared to other mid size cars I've driven, this new Malibu is something special. It offers a rewarding, precise drive, highly refined drivetrain, top-of-the-class interior, and great seats for tall people. Its compromises are an only moderately impressive fuel economy figure and moderate size interior. I have owned some very fast cars, and the suspension on this car is one of the most impressive I have driven. It manages to have luxury-level refinement while being very precise and settled during high speed cornering. If you're looking for a mid size car with very high refinement, this is it.

Love it!
By kks2013

2013 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan w/1LZ (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I swore I would never drive a car again after owning SUV's, but I'm eating crow! Tired of getting 12 mpg with my 08 Chrysler Aspen and pouring money into fixing it, I traded for my Malibu and glad I did! 32 mpg highway and 28 city...not sure why I didn't do it sooner. Love the the design inside and out and get all kinds of compliments on its looks.

Favorite Features

The Chevy MyLink is awesome, just wish I would have gotten the navitgation option with it. Push button start is great and the quietness of the engine is crazy. Love driving it, especially knowing I don't here the guzzle of gas going out the exhaust!

Suggested Improvements

Wish there was a trunk release button on the inside - kind of strange?