Used 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

STEERING WHEEL LOCKS WHILE DRIVING
By Kathy

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Eco 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

2013 Malibu with 47,000 miles. Purchased 2015 (Certified Pre-owned)

Dealership charged me to resolve a steering wheel locking issue. The problem was caused by the battery cable connector wire not holding it’s voltage. The dealership states that this issue falls under normal ware on the vehicle and it is not covered under my warranty or the extended warranty I purchased.

How could a safety issue possible fall under Normal ware. The response from dealership, extended warranty person and Chevrolet Corp has been complacent. NO ONE IS WILLING TO HELP ME WITH THIS MANNER. I feel I should no pay for the repairs ($737). The only person who recognized this as a safety issue was the mechanic that worked on my car. He test drove the car and experience the steering wheel locking while driving in the middle of a round about. The only way to resolve the issue at that time was to turn the car off then on. You can well imagine how frightened when this happened to me.

The Chevy Malibu is being advertised as an electronic car of the future. How can you state that when the cable wires connected to the battery can’t handle the pull of multiple devices.

In the shop every month
By Tommy

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Eco 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Bought this car with 48k miles and now has 78k. Since I've had it I've replaced a wheel bearing, the heat is climate control and when you turn it on 60 it feels like it's on the highest setting and the only way to turn it down it to turn the ac on. Not fun when it's 15-20 degrees outside in the winter and 85-90 in the summer. The radio will freeze from time to time. Won't let me turn it down, change the station, or even turn it off! I'm constantly on the road mostly highway miles and only get 28-29 mpg. Being that it's supposed to be a type of hybrid I'm not very impressed. This is my first and last time owning a Chevy sedan.

Just hit 30,000 miles and not a glitch.
By russrusscase@yahoo.com

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Eco 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

This is my third Chevrolet product and never a problem. They really build a great truck and automobile. I was and wax regulary and it looks like the day I drove it out of the showroom. So many standard featrues and great comfort. I always service at the dealer and feel like I've saved a ton of money and issues. Absolutley care free driving these past 3 years for me. If you find a clean, low mileage one, buy it.

Choose Wisely...
By panglossian

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Eco 4dr Sedan w/Premium Audio (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

As others, I compared most of the mid-size vehicles. I wanted to buy American (if that is really possible nowadays). Each car has their own benefits, and despite media comments, none really stand out as a clear leader of the pack.

Be careful if you select this model. Its still a fine vehicle, though there are some issues. The 13 Eco is one of a kind, as it appears to be discontinued in 14 (the base 2.5L gets the same mpg).

Many of the features advertised in the normal vehicles are not in the Eco. Mine was advertised to have 10 airbags, though only has 7. Nor does it have the MyLink radio, so forget about Pandora and the other neat features.

I recommend waiting for a 2014.

Despite the initial high MSRP, the current rebates bring the price into a competitive range. The "hybrid" system works well, and without the noise and electric motor whine of competitors products. 30 mpg local; 38 mpg highway at 2K miles. Quite car and comfortable with most of the features you need/want. Electronic parking brake and sunglass holder are cool, sad that you lose these on the 14.

Do not penalize customers that pay >$1000 to have navigation by removing the MyLink features on the radio. I suspect most customers do not expect to lose features when "upgrading" to the "premium radio" system. Also, do a bit more testing before releasing new models. There is no excuse why this car has 3 recalls on the hybrid battery, and it appears that the NHTSA still has questions if the latest fix corrects the problem. The customer should not risk vehicle fires because of this. I would also appreciate if GM would consider spending a few extra $$ for good tires. They have done a good job with reducing the vehicle noise, though put cheap tires on the counter all the good efforts.

Malibu Outshines the Others
By karenandcarl

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Eco 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Edmunds was not all positive about the 2013 Malibu, but we looked at and drove all the other brands and Malibu comfort and quality outshine them all.
The only other one close is Fusion.
We love our car and hope anyone in the market takes a close look at this car that is an American car, and has a high [HTML removed] rating.