Used 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Choose Wisely...
By panglossian

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Eco 4dr Sedan w/Premium Audio (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

As others, I compared most of the mid-size vehicles. I wanted to buy American (if that is really possible nowadays). Each car has their own benefits, and despite media comments, none really stand out as a clear leader of the pack. Be careful if you select this model. Its still a fine vehicle, though there are some issues. The 13 Eco is one of a kind, as it appears to be discontinued in 14 (the base 2.5L gets the same mpg). Many of the features advertised in the normal vehicles are not in the Eco. Mine was advertised to have 10 airbags, though only has 7. Nor does it have the MyLink radio, so forget about Pandora and the other neat features. I recommend waiting for a 2014.

Favorite Features

Despite the initial high MSRP, the current rebates bring the price into a competitive range. The "hybrid" system works well, and without the noise and electric motor whine of competitors products. 30 mpg local; 38 mpg highway at 2K miles. Quite car and comfortable with most of the features you need/want. Electronic parking brake and sunglass holder are cool, sad that you lose these on the 14.

Suggested Improvements

Do not penalize customers that pay >$1000 to have navigation by removing the MyLink features on the radio. I suspect most customers do not expect to lose features when "upgrading" to the "premium radio" system. Also, do a bit more testing before releasing new models. There is no excuse why this car has 3 recalls on the hybrid battery, and it appears that the NHTSA still has questions if the latest fix corrects the problem. The customer should not risk vehicle fires because of this. I would also appreciate if GM would consider spending a few extra $$ for good tires. They have done a good job with reducing the vehicle noise, though put cheap tires on the counter all the good efforts.

Malibu Outshines the Others
By karenandcarl

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Eco 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Edmunds was not all positive about the 2013 Malibu, but we looked at and drove all the other brands and Malibu comfort and quality outshine them all. The only other one close is Fusion. We love our car and hope anyone in the market takes a close look at this car that is an American car, and has a high [HTML removed] rating.

Fantastic refined midsize sedan
By curved

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Eco 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I bought a '13 Malibu ECO last week and have been loving it. Compared to other mid size cars I've driven, this new Malibu is something special. It offers a rewarding, precise drive, highly refined drivetrain, top-of-the-class interior, and great seats for tall people. Its compromises are an only moderately impressive fuel economy figure and moderate size interior. I have owned some very fast cars, and the suspension on this car is one of the most impressive I have driven. It manages to have luxury-level refinement while being very precise and settled during high speed cornering. If you're looking for a mid size car with very high refinement, this is it.

Excellant
By c4ddym4n

Love this Malibu. I traded my 2010 2LT with 59k miles for this ECO 2SA with leather. I travel city/hwy and was getting 24MPG now I am getting 29 MPG City/Hwy. Less engine noise and more power. Shuts engine off at stop lights, restarts when I remove my foot from the brake, seamless.

Favorite Features

Better interior finish, more power less noise from the engine. Better & smoother ride. Like back up camera.

2013 Malibu ECO 2SA
By ticner58

I can't understand all of the negative reviews about this car that are out there from certain publications. I now have 3000 miles and simply love this car. I just did a 880 mile one way trip on all interstate driving and averaged 34.3 mpg. This is while driving between 70 & 77 mph all of the way. Under regular driving, 55-60, I have attained over 40 mpg while commuting to work (18 miles one way). Some publications say to purchase the Camry, Pris or Sonota hybrids over this car. Go ahead and price them out using 2SA option, add a sunroof and see what price you get. I found that I was able to get exactly what I wanted, without getting other options that I didn't want or need with the Malibu.

Favorite Features

Chevy MyLink and it's Ease of Use, Bluetooth, Ride, Comfort, Interior and Exterior Design, Mpg

Suggested Improvements

The Goodyear "Assurance" tires are easily the noisest tires, on certain surfaces, that I have ever experienced on "new" car tires.