2012 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Review: Nicest car I've ever hated

2012 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Review

LT Sedan (2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic w/1LT)

Nicest car I've ever hated
By rom225 on

2012 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Malibu LT1 4cyl new to replace my 1998 Malibu base 6cyl. I have a 66 mile one-way trip into work which includes 50 miles of open interstate driving with the last bit a drive through town on a divided 4-lane stop-and-stop traffic hwy. I went with the 4cyl because it was 19K and the 6cyl started at 30k. Convincing myself that the 34mpg would make me feel better. 6cyl I avg 26mpg, the 4cyl I avg 28mpg. second year at 60K miles the map sensor failed and needed to be replaced, not a warranted part.

Favorite Features

Car handles pretty nice and has the definite feel of the Cavalier and not previous models of Malibu. It is much more responsive than the Impala loaner I was given while it was being repaired. I did get 80k mileage on the original tires before needing replacement. Hands-free Bluetooth work great and now is a necessity in cars I look at. Oil filter is easier to change that previous 4cyl. AC power outlet in the console is very useful.

Suggested Improvements

Wiper blades are not industry standard and cost double what standard blades cost. Headlight blub replacement requires the removal of the front cap of the car costing much money. Google it. Replaced a light this year, whew. I'm a heavy guy +200lbs and center console puts pressure on knee and shin in long drives (trips), you won't notice this on a simple test drive. Transmission filter cannot be replaced without transmission removal, hard to check for wear. Doesn't shift well in rolling starts. Some AC vents into the backseat would also be nice.