2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Nicest car I've ever hated
By rom225 on 06/21/14 06:22 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Malibu LT1 4cyl new to replace my 1998 Malibu base 6cyl. I have a 66 mile one-way trip into work which includes 50 miles of open interstate driving with the last bit a drive through town on a divided 4-lane stop-and-stop traffic hwy. I went with the 4cyl because it was 19K and the 6cyl started at 30k. Convincing myself that the 34mpg would make me feel better. 6cyl I avg 26mpg, the 4cyl I avg 28mpg. second year at 60K miles the map sensor failed and needed to be replaced, not a warranted part.

In Love w/ my Malibu
By fireguy841 on 01/26/14 12:28 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my Malibu used but it rides like a brand new car. On a scale of 1-10 I'm at a 9.75. I love the smooth ride it provides along with the great look it has. I bought the top of the line one with chrome 16 inch wheels, chrome door handles, low profile tires, leather/suede interior power everything. Love that it sits low to the ground giving you almost a sports car feel with the feels of a luxury car. Great gas mileage, not to mention it rides great in the snow. Definitely love this car. It is my 4th chevy I've owned and is my all time favorite.

May be last Chevy..
By bigbearrc on 12/01/12 08:24 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Downsized form a 2002 Impala to this for gas mileage. Big mistake. Impala averaged 28mpg. I am lucky to hit that using cruse control full time. Car is very underpowered. Almost dangerous to pass anyone. Car has great looks , but appears to be all flash and lost its basics. Stering while stopped acts like it lacks the power to steer car. Had for three months and want to replace. Will after getting some of the deprciation. Looking at 2013, it would appear GM knew this car was very deficient.

Good car, but some shortcomings
By brownco4 on 10/25/12 12:10 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

PROS - Fun to drive (acceleration, handling, seat comfort); I like the power moon roof. Quiet ride and nice, roomy trunk. CONS - Tilt steering wheel is too low (even when it and the seats are adjusted). Mileage on my Buick LeSabre is better than this Malibu. Finally, the trunk release works, but the lifters do not lift, opening it unlike any other car I've ever had.

Gas mileage not as advertised
By vthow on 09/19/12 12:42 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 2012 Malibu I purchased was stickered at 34 MPG. The best I have been able to get is 25 MPG all highway. The Malibu is a good car but one of the selling points in buying this was the MPG so I am very disappointed in the misleading advertising.

Three months into ownership...
By brownco4 on 06/05/12 12:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We're off to a good start. The car looks nice standing still and has a moon roof that adds to the look. It's a unique off white color outside and has a leather with suede look seat. Soon after buying this we drove 1400 miles over a weekend with four adults. Both front and back seats were comfortable. The headrests in front and the seat belts are some of the most comfortable we've ever had. Front seats also recline for naps on those trips. Acceleration is good, and this car will roll along for hours at high, interstate speeds with indifference to winds. The car is very quiet also. The large trunk is very nice as well.

Excellent Deal + Hidden Features
By elpglenn on 02/27/12 22:21 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After shopping around and comparing the Malibu to the Accord and the Sonata, I found the Malibu to give you the most for your money. The remote start and Bluetooth pretty much came standard on most of the Malibus, plus with OnStar I am able to get turn-by-turn directions that actually SHOW UP on the radio screen. I am very impressed! I thought I would be loosing out on navigation but if not having a map is okay with you then this is a winner! Acceleration could be better but picks up pretty good for a 4-cylinder. Braking action is good and it hugs curves very well. Overall, I like all that the Malibu offers for under $25,000!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan in VA is:

$151 per month*