Used 2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Most Helpful|
Gas mileage not as advertised
By vthow

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 2012 Malibu I purchased was stickered at 34 MPG. The best I have been able to get is 25 MPG all highway. The Malibu is a good car but one of the selling points in buying this was the MPG so I am very disappointed in the misleading advertising.

SaigonPaulie75
By saigonpaul75

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I introduced to my wife 2011 Malibu(Summit white) LT1 model when it was new and she bought it and loves it..So this may 2013 I went and bought my 2012(former lease) with 14000 miles for a great price(same color) but it's LT2 model and loaded with heated seats. We laugh about it. It's like driving an expensive car that we only paid $17000 each. Oh yeah! There are cars that cost $50k+ and it's all about name brand and status symbol. We can't afford those and so in our own way, this is our Mercedes or Audi lol..But less fortunate people than us only wish they could own this Malibu. So we are very happy and proud to own 2 cars with the same color and park in our driveway at our cozy home lol..

Favorite Features

We love almost everything about the Malibu.. We will never buy a base model car of any make.We love the dashboard little glovebox..It's a great idea and design.Why other cars don't follow the idea is beyond me! Trust me, it drives like a Cadillac. These cars are completely loaded with leather streering , moon roof, heated seats etc..etc...

Suggested Improvements

The only thing we hate is the glovebox is so small for not a tiny car.

Excellent Deal + Hidden Features
By elpglenn

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After shopping around and comparing the Malibu to the Accord and the Sonata, I found the Malibu to give you the most for your money. The remote start and Bluetooth pretty much came standard on most of the Malibus, plus with OnStar I am able to get turn-by-turn directions that actually SHOW UP on the radio screen. I am very impressed! I thought I would be loosing out on navigation but if not having a map is okay with you then this is a winner! Acceleration could be better but picks up pretty good for a 4-cylinder. Braking action is good and it hugs curves very well. Overall, I like all that the Malibu offers for under $25,000!

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, 120-volt plug, the OnStar app for the cell phone, and the turn-by-turn navigation on the radio that speaks and will reroute are my favorite features. I like that if you are on the phone via Bluetooth and you get off route, it will let you finish your phone call before it ask you questions about rerouting, or instead of speaking back you can just press a radio button to reroute! I also like that I don't have to call OnStar to program my routes; I can simply use the app.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the mobile app let me start and stop the car considering that for 2012, the Malibu is the only Chevy model that doesn't allow it. Also, the power seat should include a power back adjustment. I also wish there was an AC, DC, or USB plug in the center console for my cell phone. I make it work via the AC on the back of the center console, but it doesn't help keep things neat and organized. The truck opening is a tad short as I could not fit a plastic organizer I bought from Target through the opening but would have easily fit in the trunk. Lastly, I wish that the acceleration was a little smoother.

Nicest car I've ever hated
By rom225

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Malibu LT1 4cyl new to replace my 1998 Malibu base 6cyl. I have a 66 mile one-way trip into work which includes 50 miles of open interstate driving with the last bit a drive through town on a divided 4-lane stop-and-stop traffic hwy. I went with the 4cyl because it was 19K and the 6cyl started at 30k. Convincing myself that the 34mpg would make me feel better. 6cyl I avg 26mpg, the 4cyl I avg 28mpg. second year at 60K miles the map sensor failed and needed to be replaced, not a warranted part.

Favorite Features

Car handles pretty nice and has the definite feel of the Cavalier and not previous models of Malibu. It is much more responsive than the Impala loaner I was given while it was being repaired. I did get 80k mileage on the original tires before needing replacement. Hands-free Bluetooth work great and now is a necessity in cars I look at. Oil filter is easier to change that previous 4cyl. AC power outlet in the console is very useful.

Suggested Improvements

Wiper blades are not industry standard and cost double what standard blades cost. Headlight blub replacement requires the removal of the front cap of the car costing much money. Google it. Replaced a light this year, whew. I'm a heavy guy +200lbs and center console puts pressure on knee and shin in long drives (trips), you won't notice this on a simple test drive. Transmission filter cannot be replaced without transmission removal, hard to check for wear. Doesn't shift well in rolling starts. Some AC vents into the backseat would also be nice.

May be last Chevy..
By bigbearrc

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Downsized form a 2002 Impala to this for gas mileage. Big mistake. Impala averaged 28mpg. I am lucky to hit that using cruse control full time. Car is very underpowered. Almost dangerous to pass anyone. Car has great looks , but appears to be all flash and lost its basics. Stering while stopped acts like it lacks the power to steer car. Had for three months and want to replace. Will after getting some of the deprciation. Looking at 2013, it would appear GM knew this car was very deficient.

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage. No reason a car with this little power and size should average under 30 mpg. Concidering Impala with v6 had better gas mileage, they could have more power and get over 30. Handling is very poor. And steering feels as if it could fail at any time.