Used 2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Not A Family Car
By Matt

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Chevy Malibu LS new in 2012 due to us losing a company car, and we went cheap on the trim. I have 2 children (under 5), and I can't say that I'm all that impressed with my Malibu, especially when comparing it to my wife's 2009 Ford Fusion SEL. The Malibu's 2.4L engine is very underpowered for a sedan. The transmission has never downshifted smoothly when approaching a light/stop sign (I'm assuming GM programmed the transmission this way to improve fuel economy). The fuel economy isn't as advertised (especially around town). We've had 3 recalls on the car, and for only having 39,500 miles, there are more squeaks and rattles than my wife's Fusion. The brakes and tires have worn very quickly. My friend has complained about the same issue with the same car. The throttle hesitates, and it seems the torque converter has a difficult time applying power to the wheels at lower RPMs. The paint scratches very easy, and the trunk opening is so small. We cannot the same types of items in my Malibu as we can in the Fusion (stroller, infant's swing, etc). On the positive side, we haven't had any major issues with it so far, and it is a very comfortable car to drive. The cabin is very quiet, and the car is easy on the eyes. The car is good in the snow, and the Bluetooth technology works great. The car warms up quickly in the winter. It is probably a nice vehicle for a single driver, but for a family it doesn't quite get the job done. I wouldn't recommend buying this vehicle.

Chevrolet should be ashamed of these cars
By shadizar

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan w/1LZ (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 2012 Malibu with the 2.4 engine is severely underpowered. It goes fairly well on a flat highway, until you need to pass or accelerate, and then the engine roars and the car doesn't go much faster. With four people inside and a trunk of suitcases, it is absolutely pathetic trying to climb a hill. The engine just will not pull the car up the hill! You will have better luck using the manual downshift because the transmission is never in the right gear and it haso be floored to downshift. Chevrolet should be ashamed of this cars "performance," or lack thereof. It's embarrassing when trying to climb a hill. I know these aren't performance cars but my 97 cavalier would zip right by this thing on any kind of incline. Dealership service team checked it over and reported engine was working properly and there were no repairs they could do to make it any better.

Bad points: No power. Fuel economy is about 28 mpg at best. Brakes needed replacement at 30k. Wheel bearing failed at 30k. Tires worn down to nothing at 38k. Many recalls. Paint scratches very easily. Stereo sounds good but doesn't go very loud. Trunk opening small.

Good points: Fairly quiet ride. Comfortable front seats. Warms up quick in winter. Goes well in snow.

This car would be ok for a single driver with no passengers (as the more weight in the car the slower it goes... seriously its that underpowered.) And only then if most driving was on a flat road with few hills and small ones at that. I would not purchase it again. Very pricey and poor performance. My 201 Cruze is twice the car this Malibu is!

Nicest car I've ever hated
By rom225

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Malibu LT1 4cyl new to replace my 1998 Malibu base 6cyl.
I have a 66 mile one-way trip into work which includes 50 miles of open interstate driving with the last bit a drive through town on a divided 4-lane stop-and-stop traffic hwy.
I went with the 4cyl because it was 19K and the 6cyl started at 30k.
Convincing myself that the 34mpg would make me feel better.
6cyl I avg 26mpg, the 4cyl I avg 28mpg.
second year at 60K miles the map sensor failed and needed to be replaced, not a warranted part.

Car handles pretty nice and has the definite feel of the Cavalier and not previous models of Malibu. It is much more responsive than the Impala loaner I was given while it was being repaired. I did get 80k mileage on the original tires before needing replacement. Hands-free Bluetooth work great and now is a necessity in cars I look at. Oil filter is easier to change that previous 4cyl. AC power outlet in the console is very useful.

Wiper blades are not industry standard and cost double what standard blades cost. Headlight blub replacement requires the removal of the front cap of the car costing much money. Google it. Replaced a light this year, whew. I'm a heavy guy +200lbs and center console puts pressure on knee and shin in long drives (trips), you won't notice this on a simple test drive. Transmission filter cannot be replaced without transmission removal, hard to check for wear. Doesn't shift well in rolling starts. Some AC vents into the backseat would also be nice.

In Love w/ my Malibu
By fireguy841

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my Malibu used but it rides like a brand new car. On a scale of 1-10 I'm at a 9.75.
I love the smooth ride it provides along with the great look it has. I bought the top of the line one with chrome 16 inch wheels, chrome door handles, low profile tires, leather/suede interior power everything. Love that it sits low to the ground giving you almost a sports car feel with the feels of a luxury car. Great gas mileage, not to mention it rides great in the snow. Definitely love this car. It is my 4th chevy I've owned and is my all time favorite.

Chrome wheels, low profile tires, chrome door handles, leather interior. Bluetooth .

If it has rained or snowed and I open the trunk door the water and/or ice gets all inside the trunk. They could have made the trunk "lip" a bit bigger to catch all the water.

SaigonPaulie75
By saigonpaul75

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I introduced to my wife 2011 Malibu(Summit white) LT1 model when it was new and she bought it and loves it..So this may 2013 I went and bought my 2012(former lease) with 14000 miles for a great price(same color) but it's LT2 model and loaded with heated seats. We laugh about it. It's like driving an expensive car that we only paid $17000 each. Oh yeah! There are cars that cost $50k+ and it's all about name brand and status symbol. We can't afford those and so in our own way, this is our Mercedes or Audi lol..But less fortunate people than us only wish they could own this Malibu. So we are very happy and proud to own 2 cars with the same color and park in our driveway at our cozy home lol..

We love almost everything about the Malibu.. We will never buy a base model car of any make.We love the dashboard little glovebox..It's a great idea and design.Why other cars don't follow the idea is beyond me! Trust me, it drives like a Cadillac. These cars are completely loaded with leather streering , moon roof, heated seats etc..etc...

The only thing we hate is the glovebox is so small for not a tiny car.