Used 2012 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Nicest car I've ever hated
By rom225

2012 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Malibu LT1 4cyl new to replace my 1998 Malibu base 6cyl. I have a 66 mile one-way trip into work which includes 50 miles of open interstate driving with the last bit a drive through town on a divided 4-lane stop-and-stop traffic hwy. I went with the 4cyl because it was 19K and the 6cyl started at 30k. Convincing myself that the 34mpg would make me feel better. 6cyl I avg 26mpg, the 4cyl I avg 28mpg. second year at 60K miles the map sensor failed and needed to be replaced, not a warranted part.

Favorite Features

Car handles pretty nice and has the definite feel of the Cavalier and not previous models of Malibu. It is much more responsive than the Impala loaner I was given while it was being repaired. I did get 80k mileage on the original tires before needing replacement. Hands-free Bluetooth work great and now is a necessity in cars I look at. Oil filter is easier to change that previous 4cyl. AC power outlet in the console is very useful.

Suggested Improvements

Wiper blades are not industry standard and cost double what standard blades cost. Headlight blub replacement requires the removal of the front cap of the car costing much money. Google it. Replaced a light this year, whew. I'm a heavy guy +200lbs and center console puts pressure on knee and shin in long drives (trips), you won't notice this on a simple test drive. Transmission filter cannot be replaced without transmission removal, hard to check for wear. Doesn't shift well in rolling starts. Some AC vents into the backseat would also be nice.

In Love w/ my Malibu
By fireguy841

2012 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my Malibu used but it rides like a brand new car. On a scale of 1-10 I'm at a 9.75. I love the smooth ride it provides along with the great look it has. I bought the top of the line one with chrome 16 inch wheels, chrome door handles, low profile tires, leather/suede interior power everything. Love that it sits low to the ground giving you almost a sports car feel with the feels of a luxury car. Great gas mileage, not to mention it rides great in the snow. Definitely love this car. It is my 4th chevy I've owned and is my all time favorite.

Favorite Features

Chrome wheels, low profile tires, chrome door handles, leather interior. Bluetooth .

Suggested Improvements

If it has rained or snowed and I open the trunk door the water and/or ice gets all inside the trunk. They could have made the trunk "lip" a bit bigger to catch all the water.

SaigonPaulie75
By saigonpaul75

2012 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I introduced to my wife 2011 Malibu(Summit white) LT1 model when it was new and she bought it and loves it..So this may 2013 I went and bought my 2012(former lease) with 14000 miles for a great price(same color) but it's LT2 model and loaded with heated seats. We laugh about it. It's like driving an expensive car that we only paid $17000 each. Oh yeah! There are cars that cost $50k+ and it's all about name brand and status symbol. We can't afford those and so in our own way, this is our Mercedes or Audi lol..But less fortunate people than us only wish they could own this Malibu. So we are very happy and proud to own 2 cars with the same color and park in our driveway at our cozy home lol..

Favorite Features

We love almost everything about the Malibu.. We will never buy a base model car of any make.We love the dashboard little glovebox..It's a great idea and design.Why other cars don't follow the idea is beyond me! Trust me, it drives like a Cadillac. These cars are completely loaded with leather streering , moon roof, heated seats etc..etc...

Suggested Improvements

The only thing we hate is the glovebox is so small for not a tiny car.

May be last Chevy..
By bigbearrc

2012 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Downsized form a 2002 Impala to this for gas mileage. Big mistake. Impala averaged 28mpg. I am lucky to hit that using cruse control full time. Car is very underpowered. Almost dangerous to pass anyone. Car has great looks , but appears to be all flash and lost its basics. Stering while stopped acts like it lacks the power to steer car. Had for three months and want to replace. Will after getting some of the deprciation. Looking at 2013, it would appear GM knew this car was very deficient.

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage. No reason a car with this little power and size should average under 30 mpg. Concidering Impala with v6 had better gas mileage, they could have more power and get over 30. Handling is very poor. And steering feels as if it could fail at any time.

Good car, but some shortcomings
By brownco4

2012 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

PROS - Fun to drive (acceleration, handling, seat comfort); I like the power moon roof. Quiet ride and nice, roomy trunk. CONS - Tilt steering wheel is too low (even when it and the seats are adjusted). Mileage on my Buick LeSabre is better than this Malibu. Finally, the trunk release works, but the lifters do not lift, opening it unlike any other car I've ever had.

Favorite Features

Insulation combines with the ride, to make it smooth, quiet and as fast as you'll want to go.

Suggested Improvements

Raise steering wheel design my 1 to 2 inches. Have the car get within 90% of the mileage Chevrolet advertises; make the truck lifters lift the trunk deck at least four inches, if not fully.