Used 2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

TRACTION SYSTEM failed and poor gas millage
By superborg

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

poor gas millage on a 4 cylinder 19-23mpg mostly hwy miles. traction and break control systems failed causing accident. this is an unsafe car. car under warranty 34000 miles. GM response less than helpful. GM black box was tested for and showed no accident infomation but driver side airbags failure in reality drivers door crushed in. Car under warranty was taken by me and GM to several dealerships, SUNSHINE CHEVROLET tech told me by the codes the two parts that would have causes the issues. GM made by back and now SUNSHINE CHEVROLET won't service the new chevrolet.

Longtime GM customer very disappointed.
By leftofthenorm

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned 3 prior new GM vehicles.
This one has been trouble from day 1.
First it had rail dust, orange rust spots all over the car in which it took the dealer three times to fix. Then the wheels vibrated, which they never could fix. After spending at least 12 different trips to the dealer, I now have two bent rims.
This car gets driven MAYBE twice a week by my wife. I will be trading this car in, and I am very disappointed with this car. Very cramped on the inside, trunk is very short, plastic trim comes off all the time.
Exterior badging fell off.
Horrible wheels.
Horrible (20mpg) gas mileage.
I will never buy a GM car again.

So many recalls.

Brakes and rotors
By mthorsemama

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have less than 29,000 miles on the car, the front ROTORS have been resurfaced once and replaced twice !
Front BRAKES replaced once.
The back ROTORS have been replaced once, and BRAKES replaced once.
I have filed a complaint with GM.
The mileage is not close to where they advertised !
In addition the transmission doesn't act right.
I have been told there is no problem with it !
I would love to hear from others that have had brake and rotor issues, or anyone that has been successful at GM buying the while back ? !
Please....

So Far...So Good
By damytquinn

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have owned this car for 20 months and wanted to wait until this point to write a review on this Malibu.
This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned(and I have owned over a dozen new cars in 33years of driving). It has never been to the shop for any unscheduled service.
I was not planning to trade when I did, but an unexpected windfall convinced me to trade and was glad I did!
This car now has almost 25,000miles and still is as tight and quiet as the day I drove it from the dealership.
Every thing works the way it is supposed to.
I am averaging 26mpg in 70%/30%hwy-city driving which is NOT what I was hoping for when I bought this car, but it's not terrible.

I love the adjustable heated leather seats. The handling is good, very quiet and smooth ride. Great interior styling.

Car has thick A pillars so there are some serious blind spots. This is not a problem if you are a careful driver. Would have been nice to have a sub woofer added to the bose speaker system, the steering feel is a little too light. Gas tank only holds 16 gallons so depending on how much you drive, you might have to fill-up more often. And of course, better mpg would be nice.

What's up with the MPG
By oldnnew

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I rented a 2011 Sonata for 3 months and was pleased to get 23.5 mpg combined. I drive about 100 miles a day and the ratio of city/highway is 50/50. We looked at buying the 2011 Sonata, Camry or Malibu because they claim to get the same mileage. We ended up with an LTZ and I am lucky to get 19 mpg combined. Pure highway driving only gets me 21 mpg. Not happy with American cars right now and it is always the drivers fault with mileage even though the cars are all driven the same way.

Rear seat arm rest, better MPG, front arm rests set further in-feel cramped by the door compared to the camry and sonata.