Used 2011 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Initially good, eventually very bad - must read!
By Chris Warren

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I had my Malibu 2LT w/ a V6 engine for 9 months. I had it in the shop FIVE times in that period. Once for a piston replacement, once for replacing spark plugs/cylinder coils, once for replacing wiring to cylinders, once for replacing water hose... the list of problems with this car are incredible! On one hand, the V6 has a nice smooth get-up-and-go feel to it. The engine sounds great but never forces the car to lose its composure on the road. The look of the Malibu is sharp - nothing over the top, but enough smooth but pronounced edges to make you have a quick glance. I couldn't believe this was a Chevy at first. But then I spent a lot of time in the car and realized that the seats aren't comfortable (they squeeze and push my arms forward a bit), lumbar support sucks (optional lumbar control is mostly for show and ends up being very bad for your back according to my friend who's a practicing chiropractic). The door materials are cheap and plastic-y, there's a lot of stuff you can tell will break easily. The glove box had numerous scratches from a small handful of passengers getting in/out of the vehicle.

Chevy basically did a nice job updating the Malibu but failed to give it real quality interior. The 4-cyl engine MAY be decent - fewer moving parts = fewer things to go wrong. But I ended up with TWO V-6 engines because Jiffy Lube left my oil filter off and my engine seized a couple days later. They paid for the replacement engine, but funny-enough the second V6 has a couple of the same issues within weeks of it being installed! Fortunately they repairs were covered, but I lost two weeks of work over 2 months because of my car problems. Do not buy the V6 engine, as having 2 bad engines (one of which was "re-certified") means this is not a good car to buy to last you several years. Look toward 2013 and newer where the Malibu is getting much better initial quality scores and offers much better interior options.

Almost an excellent vehicle
By Chris S

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Malibu LT2 back at the beginning of 2015 and have been using it for nearly 8 months. I opted for a V6 because it was such an excellent price that I figured "why not?". That engine has some pull to it (roughly 250hp) and sounds pretty smooth. The only problem is the advertised fuel efficiency numbers aren't quite right. In the city of Seattle, I get around 15-17mpg and on the freeway, if I am on cruise control between 60-65, I get sneak up to 29-31mpg (with a level road surface). Any incline will drop the hwy mileage to around 24-25mpg. Stop and starts with the V6 are what really murder your fuel efficiency here. The seats are almost fine, but my back will hurt after long drives because the seats force your shoulders in a bit and my upper back is forced back - almost like a mild squeeze. Smaller bodies probably won't notice this as much (I'm 6'2 and have a wider build that the average person), but it's an annoyance. The quality of the Malibu LT2 is inconsistent. I have some kind of leather/suede-fabric hybrid that makes cleaning a bit tougher than it should be. The dashboard and door panels are composed of a cheap plastic material that scratches easily. The instrumentation and radio/temp controls are fine. Nothing fancy but nothing to complain about. The 6-speaker system is adequate for most people. You can get reasonable volumes without distortion in the audio but the system is built to cap everything off in that department before you hit those higher volumes that would degrade your listening experience. I've heard a 2013 Malibu's 2LT/LTZ stereo which uses a Bose system (I think) and it's a step up (though still doesn't quite compete with some higher-grade car stereos out there). As for reliability: I've had my car in a couple times this year - once for a piston replacement (fortunately under warranty, but just barely) and the other for simple coil and spark plug replacements, which are actually easy to replace, I just hadn't learned how to do it yet (a YouTube video can literally save you $500 in parts and labor for replacing one or multiple coils that sit atop your engine). All in all the Malibu for this year is decent. It has a solid look to it and offers decent options, depending on what trim you end up with. The LT2 or LTZ vehicles are the best available so if you do buy one, try and look for those trims. But from what I've been hearing about the newer Malibus - you're better off buying used 2014 and beyond because the 4cyl is closer to the Nissan Altima fuel efficiency ratings and the quality of the cabin materials has drastically improved. The 2016 Malibu is the first really desirable Chevy sedan I've laid eyes on and makes me think the company could give Ford a run for their money in the next few years.

A good car - worth the value
By ehicks87

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

All around good car. I do about 80% highway driving and get an avg 31 mpg. People have to realize that this car is not a powerhouse; if you drive it like a high school-er you will be disappointed in your gas mileage. Treating your car nice goes a long way- tires-brakes-suspension-etc. Anyways, there's something about this car that makes me miss driving it when I'm in another vehicle. Especially my wife's dodge dart turbo..... Man that thing is a piece of crap.

The interior is top notch design. My boss was impressed and he drives a BMW! Build materials are not bad. I wish I had leather but even the cloth seats are well made. Everything is very easy to get to and maintain. (except for headlights/ turning signals)

If I could go back, I'd buy the LTZ model with the sunroof. Those rims and tail lights look a lot more slick. To replace the headlights/ turning signals, you have to REMOVE the front bumper entirely. Makes it a pain but in reality you will only have to do this MAYBE three times during the life of the car if you buy good/ long lasting lights. Also, GM's ACDelco fuel pumps kind of suck. I had mine replaced under warranty at 60k Miles; but no big deal.

From bad to worse
By 2011nomore

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I had 3 Malibu's 2006, totaled by a drunk driver.

2006, totaled by a bus. Car accelerated into traffic. I reversed as my choice was a gasoline tanker and a bus.

2011 : This car from day one has been a lemon.
It is getting worse. I have 18 k on the car. I get 21 miles on open highway and 17 in city.
I have been told by GM to put 20 more thousand miles to loosen it up. Door on drivers side leaks and has "been" fixed only to leak worse. At 40 mph there is a dinging in the right rear. At 60 mhp under load the steering column shakes and rattles the whole car. If you let off the gas it quits. Dealer told me this is "normal".
Transmission fluid is dark brow..."normal" too.
JUNK

So far so good!
By simplyme

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased a few months ago. Already put on 4,000 miles. It's a very comfortable car Me being 6'6" I fit quite well. Although anyone who sits behind me had better be quite short! Monique as she is rightfully named is a snappy accelerator, corners fantastically, and I love the clad wheels. Trunk is huge. I had taken a trip to Frankfot KY. and I averaged 37.7mpg!! with a full trunk

At times the remote start is finicky, but no complaints. She was a lease car before I bought her. The driver seat is kind of like crumpled near the door, which is causing a tear. Which is very disappointing. Considering my 02 Impala had over 230,000 on it and no rips or tears.

Blue tooth. Remote start. Wheels. style, comfort and reliability so far. The headlights on this beauty are very strong and do a great job in night time driving especially in my rural area of living. Leg room,ease of cleaning and maintenance .

Make stronger front seats for taller people. considering the driver seat kind of squeaks, rattles and is collapsing near the door.