Used 2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

A Chevy Family now!
By Dennis

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I can't say enough good things about this car! It runs super quiet, has great pick up and passing power, rides smooth, gets great gas mileage (27/mpg combined for me with 50/50 city/highway), looks sharp and has awesome audio system. I'm thinking of buying another one right one for one of my teenagers. It's been a while since we've owned a domestic car but the 2011 Malibu has changed our minds - we're a Chevy family now!!

Initially good, eventually very bad - must read!
By Chris Warren

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I had my Malibu 2LT w/ a V6 engine for 9 months. I had it in the shop FIVE times in that period. Once for a piston replacement, once for replacing spark plugs/cylinder coils, once for replacing wiring to cylinders, once for replacing water hose... the list of problems with this car are incredible! On one hand, the V6 has a nice smooth get-up-and-go feel to it. The engine sounds great but never forces the car to lose its composure on the road. The look of the Malibu is sharp - nothing over the top, but enough smooth but pronounced edges to make you have a quick glance. I couldn't believe this was a Chevy at first. But then I spent a lot of time in the car and realized that the seats aren't comfortable (they squeeze and push my arms forward a bit), lumbar support sucks (optional lumbar control is mostly for show and ends up being very bad for your back according to my friend who's a practicing chiropractic). The door materials are cheap and plastic-y, there's a lot of stuff you can tell will break easily. The glove box had numerous scratches from a small handful of passengers getting in/out of the vehicle.

Chevy basically did a nice job updating the Malibu but failed to give it real quality interior. The 4-cyl engine MAY be decent - fewer moving parts = fewer things to go wrong. But I ended up with TWO V-6 engines because Jiffy Lube left my oil filter off and my engine seized a couple days later. They paid for the replacement engine, but funny-enough the second V6 has a couple of the same issues within weeks of it being installed! Fortunately they repairs were covered, but I lost two weeks of work over 2 months because of my car problems. Do not buy the V6 engine, as having 2 bad engines (one of which was "re-certified") means this is not a good car to buy to last you several years. Look toward 2013 and newer where the Malibu is getting much better initial quality scores and offers much better interior options.

Almost an excellent vehicle
By Chris S

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Malibu LT2 back at the beginning of 2015 and have been using it for nearly 8 months. I opted for a V6 because it was such an excellent price that I figured "why not?". That engine has some pull to it (roughly 250hp) and sounds pretty smooth. The only problem is the advertised fuel efficiency numbers aren't quite right. In the city of Seattle, I get around 15-17mpg and on the freeway, if I am on cruise control between 60-65, I get sneak up to 29-31mpg (with a level road surface). Any incline will drop the hwy mileage to around 24-25mpg. Stop and starts with the V6 are what really murder your fuel efficiency here. The seats are almost fine, but my back will hurt after long drives because the seats force your shoulders in a bit and my upper back is forced back - almost like a mild squeeze. Smaller bodies probably won't notice this as much (I'm 6'2 and have a wider build that the average person), but it's an annoyance. The quality of the Malibu LT2 is inconsistent. I have some kind of leather/suede-fabric hybrid that makes cleaning a bit tougher than it should be. The dashboard and door panels are composed of a cheap plastic material that scratches easily. The instrumentation and radio/temp controls are fine. Nothing fancy but nothing to complain about. The 6-speaker system is adequate for most people. You can get reasonable volumes without distortion in the audio but the system is built to cap everything off in that department before you hit those higher volumes that would degrade your listening experience. I've heard a 2013 Malibu's 2LT/LTZ stereo which uses a Bose system (I think) and it's a step up (though still doesn't quite compete with some higher-grade car stereos out there). As for reliability: I've had my car in a couple times this year - once for a piston replacement (fortunately under warranty, but just barely) and the other for simple coil and spark plug replacements, which are actually easy to replace, I just hadn't learned how to do it yet (a YouTube video can literally save you $500 in parts and labor for replacing one or multiple coils that sit atop your engine). All in all the Malibu for this year is decent. It has a solid look to it and offers decent options, depending on what trim you end up with. The LT2 or LTZ vehicles are the best available so if you do buy one, try and look for those trims. But from what I've been hearing about the newer Malibus - you're better off buying used 2014 and beyond because the 4cyl is closer to the Nissan Altima fuel efficiency ratings and the quality of the cabin materials has drastically improved. The 2016 Malibu is the first really desirable Chevy sedan I've laid eyes on and makes me think the company could give Ford a run for their money in the next few years.

TRACTION SYSTEM failed and poor gas millage
By superborg

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

poor gas millage on a 4 cylinder 19-23mpg mostly hwy miles. traction and break control systems failed causing accident. this is an unsafe car. car under warranty 34000 miles. GM response less than helpful. GM black box was tested for and showed no accident infomation but driver side airbags failure in reality drivers door crushed in. Car under warranty was taken by me and GM to several dealerships, SUNSHINE CHEVROLET tech told me by the codes the two parts that would have causes the issues. GM made by back and now SUNSHINE CHEVROLET won't service the new chevrolet.

Longtime GM customer very disappointed.
By leftofthenorm

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned 3 prior new GM vehicles.
This one has been trouble from day 1.
First it had rail dust, orange rust spots all over the car in which it took the dealer three times to fix. Then the wheels vibrated, which they never could fix. After spending at least 12 different trips to the dealer, I now have two bent rims.
This car gets driven MAYBE twice a week by my wife. I will be trading this car in, and I am very disappointed with this car. Very cramped on the inside, trunk is very short, plastic trim comes off all the time.
Exterior badging fell off.
Horrible wheels.
Horrible (20mpg) gas mileage.
I will never buy a GM car again.

So many recalls.