Used 2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

TRACTION SYSTEM failed and poor gas millage
By superborg

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

poor gas millage on a 4 cylinder 19-23mpg mostly hwy miles. traction control system failed causing accident. this is an unsafe car. car under warranty 34000 miles.GM response less than helpful. GM equipment for black box testing was in for repair at time of accident and unavailable for 2 weeks, no loaner car and car under warranty. so a $28000 car sits at body-shop and I walk. GM said there was no code for the gas millage problem and could not fix, but they had a code for the traction problem CO133 and reset it and sent me to an accident.This is an lemon or is it GM's new way of building cars. Body is repaired but i am afraid of this car.

Favorite Features

AC outlet ,Bose stereo

Suggested Improvements

GM stop blaming the customer for poor gas millage and fix the problem also when there is a code in the system do not ignore it find the problem or make you software IDIOT prof. replace the lemon auto with a safe car if you have one.

Longtime GM customer very disappointed.
By leftofthenorm

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned 3 prior new GM vehicles. This one has been trouble from day 1. First it had rail dust, orange rust spots all over the car in which it took the dealer three times to fix. Then the wheels vibrated, which they never could fix. After spending at least 12 different trips to the dealer, I now have two bent rims. This car gets driven MAYBE twice a week by my wife. I will be trading this car in, and I am very disappointed with this car. Very cramped on the inside, trunk is very short, plastic trim comes off all the time. Exterior badging fell off. Horrible wheels. Horrible (20mpg) gas mileage. I will never buy a GM car again.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling is wonderful, it really does look good. Great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger wheels, better build quality, more efficient engine. Definately not worth the price of admission at this point. Seeing as these can be bought around 10k now, it might be worth it as a beat-around used car. New, they were horrible.

Problems to watch for
By papasmurf69

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have had our Malibu for a year now. The car runs well and gets very good gas mileage out on the open road. Some real problems as we see it. The temp guage that reads the outdoor temp., it is designed not to work. It will work when you get in and go to town but then it will read that same temp until you have gone over 35mph for 5 miles or 15 minuets or something like that or if your car sits for more than 3 hours. If you stay in town the whole day it will stay on the original temp of the morning even if it goes up 40 degrees. Why I ask but GM said it was designed that way. Then there is the issue of not being able to chain the car up. Also the rear head rests obstruck your view.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the outside temp guage to work or not work. Lower the rear head rests. Put the rear brake light at the top of the rear window instead of at the bottom. At the bottome it always looks like a car behind you. Make it so you can put chains on. Some states require chains on passes. If you don't have chains you don't travel and then you are stuck.

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 "Platinum Edition"
By randyb4

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I just bought my first Malibu about a week ago and I am quite impressed at this vehicle. I really like the design of this car. I was never impressed with the older Malibu style but GM did a nice job on this body style. I must say that it has a "big car" ride and the 2.4 litre 4 cyl. engine puts out a fair amount power. I am over six feet tall and I have ample headroom.

Favorite Features

I really like the White Diamond paint, chrome clad wheels and the standard satelite radio as well as the OnStar. Nice job on the interior styling. Handsfree bluetooth feature is also very nice.

Our second Malibu
By jt1088

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After looking at all the competition, we bough a 2008 Malibu and put 50,000 miles on it. Last week the car was totaled in an accident. The safety systems performed well. We did another review of the 2011 competition, again the answer was Malibu. Hard to beat the features performance and price.

Favorite Features

Engine is peppy and smooth. Great economy. Fit/finish/layout of the interior is fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

One *huge* disappointment was GMs decision to drop the home link garaged door opener. This was standard on the 2008-2010 2LT Malibu's. In 2011 it is no longer offered. #FAIL. We took delivery, got it home, went to program the home link system, and found it wasn't there! Had we noticed, we probably would have looked for a 2010.