2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
From bad to worse
By 2011nomore on 01/06/14 06:04 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I had 3 Malibu's 2006, totaled by a drunk driver. 2006, totaled by a bus. Car accelerated into traffic. I reversed as my choice was a gasoline tanker and a bus. 2011 : This car from day one has been a lemon. It is getting worse. I have 18 k on the car. I get 21 miles on open highway and 17 in city. I have been told by GM to put 20 more thousand miles to loosen it up. Door on drivers side leaks and has "been" fixed only to leak worse. At 40 mph there is a dinging in the right rear. At 60 mhp under load the steering column shakes and rattles the whole car. If you let off the gas it quits. Dealer told me this is "normal". Transmission fluid is dark brow..."normal" too. JUNK

So far so good!
By simplyme on 09/27/13 07:54 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased a few months ago. Already put on 4,000 miles. It's a very comfortable car Me being 6'6" I fit quite well. Although anyone who sits behind me had better be quite short! Monique as she is rightfully named is a snappy accelerator, corners fantastically, and I love the clad wheels. Trunk is huge. I had taken a trip to Frankfot KY. and I averaged 37.7mpg!! with a full trunk At times the remote start is finicky, but no complaints. She was a lease car before I bought her. The driver seat is kind of like crumpled near the door, which is causing a tear. Which is very disappointing. Considering my 02 Impala had over 230,000 on it and no rips or tears.

TRACTION SYSTEM failed and poor gas millage
By superborg on 08/25/13 10:57 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

poor gas millage on a 4 cylinder 19-23mpg mostly hwy miles. traction control system failed causing accident. this is an unsafe car. car under warranty 34000 miles.GM response less than helpful. GM equipment for black box testing was in for repair at time of accident and unavailable for 2 weeks, no loaner car and car under warranty. so a $28000 car sits at body-shop and I walk. GM said there was no code for the gas millage problem and could not fix, but they had a code for the traction problem CO133 and reset it and sent me to an accident.This is an lemon or is it GM's new way of building cars. Body is repaired but i am afraid of this car.

Longtime GM customer very disappointed.
By leftofthenorm on 07/08/13 11:55 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned 3 prior new GM vehicles. This one has been trouble from day 1. First it had rail dust, orange rust spots all over the car in which it took the dealer three times to fix. Then the wheels vibrated, which they never could fix. After spending at least 12 different trips to the dealer, I now have two bent rims. This car gets driven MAYBE twice a week by my wife. I will be trading this car in, and I am very disappointed with this car. Very cramped on the inside, trunk is very short, plastic trim comes off all the time. Exterior badging fell off. Horrible wheels. Horrible (20mpg) gas mileage. I will never buy a GM car again.

Brakes and rotors
By mthorsemama on 05/28/13 16:45 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have less than 29,000 miles on the car, the front ROTORS have been resurfaced once and replaced twice ! Front BRAKES replaced once. The back ROTORS have been replaced once, and BRAKES replaced once. I have filed a complaint with GM. The mileage is not close to where they advertised ! In addition the transmission doesn't act right. I have been told there is no problem with it ! I would love to hear from others that have had brake and rotor issues, or anyone that has been successful at GM buying the while back ? ! Please....

So Far...So Good
By damytquinn on 11/04/12 18:40 PM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have owned this car for 20 months and wanted to wait until this point to write a review on this Malibu. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned(and I have owned over a dozen new cars in 33years of driving). It has never been to the shop for any unscheduled service. I was not planning to trade when I did, but an unexpected windfall convinced me to trade and was glad I did! This car now has almost 25,000miles and still is as tight and quiet as the day I drove it from the dealership. Every thing works the way it is supposed to. I am averaging 26mpg in 70%/30%hwy-city driving which is NOT what I was hoping for when I bought this car, but it's not terrible.

What's up with the MPG
By oldnnew on 09/12/12 18:27 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I rented a 2011 Sonata for 3 months and was pleased to get 23.5 mpg combined. I drive about 100 miles a day and the ratio of city/highway is 50/50. We looked at buying the 2011 Sonata, Camry or Malibu because they claim to get the same mileage. We ended up with an LTZ and I am lucky to get 19 mpg combined. Pure highway driving only gets me 21 mpg. Not happy with American cars right now and it is always the drivers fault with mileage even though the cars are all driven the same way.

low speed shake
By jab66 on 09/11/12 18:49 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I like the car but, ever since it was new it has a shake at low speed when I accelerate from a stop. It only happens when a person is in the passenger front seat. I took it into the dealer for the second time for this issue and they recommended that they rotate and balance the tires at a cost to $60.00 to me. He told me that would take care of the problem, but it has'nt. If anyone has any solutions for this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

not a good car
By louie1954 on 09/03/12 08:38 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I got this car new I only have 12000 miles on it and i have complained from the first 500 miles that the car has a shake between 15 and 20 miles per hour. This has been addressed to the maintenance people at Ray Dennison with no satisfaction This is not normal per the maintenance people. I am now experiencing other things like a rumble when I accelerate. This car has been very disappointing I will never buy another probably never another chevy poor gas mileage

1st Review. Under a month
By egee on 03/20/12 04:51 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Love. This. Car. We had an '05 and traded up this year (2012) for a '11. We got the baseline model for a really good price and then added a few features at Bestbuy for much cheaper than the dealer could do. I haven't had any problems with the gas mileage (getting about 28 combined). The only aspect that I'm not a fan of is the top of the dashboard. When the sun is directly overhead or in front of you, the reflection of the dashboard shines back into the windshield. It's can be distracting. Should have test driven during the evening... I've gotten used to it, but it can be a problem when you first get the car. The trunk is very deep, another plus.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan in VA is:

$143 per month*